Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a sterling draft

Options
  • 07-04-2008 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

just wondering why banks will only sell sterling drafts to customers of the bank?

Needed to get one this morning so went to the closest bank (Bank of Ireland, I'm a PTSB current account customer). Wouldn't sell me one as was told the money has to come out of my account. Went to PTSB and the first question I was asked was if I was a PTSB account holder.

Just wondering what the logic is and are all banks the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Paper trail. Its a Money Laundering Regulation.
    Every bank is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

As above.... Makes sence TBH and if I have to explain it to one more customer I'll have to stick a pen in their eye!!!!

Imagine going into a bank and trying to cash a cheque with no ID. Same principle. Know your customer and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

stepbar wrote: »
    if I have to explain it to one more customer I'll have to stick a pen in their eye!!!!

customer service technique ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

stepbar wrote: »
    Imagine going into a bank and trying to cash a cheque with no ID. Same principle. Know your customer and all that.

No it isnt the same principle. If the purchaser has paid cash for the draft, then no one can subsequently be out of pocket.

The reason for the rule is because drafts could be used to launder dirty cash.

My local AIB does not apply the rule to low sterling amounts and allowed me to purchase a £50 draft without an account there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

No it isnt the same principle. If the purchaser has paid cash for the draft, then no one can subsequently be out of pocket.

My local AIB does not apply the rule to low sterling amounts and allowed me to purchase a £50 draft without an account there.

Well they broke the regulators rules. They should not have done it. As for the other bit of your post i'll let Stepbar respond to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It's the same principle. Know your customer!!!!! If he or she is a bank customer then it satisfies that rule and you can pin it back if necessary. If you cash a cheque with ID then you aren't money laundering. However, you cant stop someone from laundering dirty money if they really wanted to. But you can report your suspicions. It's a very grey area TBH.

Advertisement