Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPSA Competition Licence Course

Options
  • 07-04-2008 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi all, here are my thoughts on the IPSA competition licence course I did recently in Midlands...

The course was over two days and was attended by two officials on each day even though there were only 7 students.

Day one consisted of basic safety procedures and gun handling. We went over and over and over all the basic handling, stances, loading and unloading (with dummy rounds) procedures again and again, so much so that when we came to use live rounds the next day, the Range Officer's commands were instantly understood.

Day two involved putting all the theory into practise using live rounds under instruction followed by the dreaded assessment where you are under intense observation but you are on your own.

The professionalism of the instructors was impressive as was the level of help and advice. Despite having probably given this course dozens of times, the officials were patient and enthusiastic in their delivery of the content.
    I was most impressed though by the seriousness of the assessment, remember your driving test examiner, how stand offish he/she was during the test? Same deal here, the relief was clear on everyone's face when this group all passed, one of the instructors confided in us later that he hates to fail people but he simply has to do it if needed.

I was so glad that the course was not another, tick the boxes, gimme a cheque, you're in, type of affair. I know someone who had to retake the course twice before getting through, once he was using a new pistol and that pistol didn't suit him when it came to accuracy, the second 'failure' was due to his pistol malfunctioning. He took the course the third time and shot just shy of 100% with his current gun and passed with flying colours! The failures aren't a money making gimmick either, you are not charged to take the course again if you fail. I still have to shoot in an actual competition to complete the course and the Range Officer will be aware that I am shooting in my first competition, so there's a little more sweating to be done still!

I have a new level of awareness of my pistol now and I would recommend that anyone with a full bore pistol take the course even if they never intend shooting a competition. Even if you're shooting tin cans (on an authorised range obviously) this course will make you think differently about even opening your range bag! We are taking several of IPSA's procedures back to our own static shooting range. I will also be applying lots of what I've learned to my .22 pistol shooting.

I have been at several shooting courses in my time and have given informal instruction to several in shotgun and rifle use; based on this experience I think this is a fantastic course. I cannot state strongly enough the emphasis that was put on safety. I had attended a Practical Competition as a spectator and if honest, I had some reservations about moving with a loaded pistol and I had lots of questions in my head, like what if I tripped over while holding the gun or would people be walking around with loaded guns on their hips. All my concerns were answered and then some. In fact, apart from trying to shoot accurately in front of such close scrutiny, the most nerve racking part of the whole course was trying not to get sent home before even taking the gun out of the box - so strict are the regulations. I have shot many disciplines. This in my opinion is as safe a shooting sport as I have seen.

Do the course, I think you'll be a better full bore pistol shooter for it, and before you ask I'm not IPSA's head of marketing, just a Joe Soap who was happy with a shooting course he did.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Hi G17,

Good to hear you enjoyed the course. Congrats on passing. It's not an easy course. Pity that the space available for the classroom work was a bit cramped but there was nothing to we could do about that. The best advice I can give now is

1. Read the handgun rules (you can get them in .pdf from ww.ipsc.org)
    2. Enter the first competition that you can get to
    3. Practice the techniques at home in a safe dry fire environment
    4. If you planning on staying with IPSC shooting invest in a good competition rig (holster, stiff belt & mag pouches) as it makes you even safer with regard to gun handling.

Again, congrats on successfully passing. Now all you need to do is complete a competition without any issues & you've got your competition licence. Hopefully then we'll see you coming abroad with us to one of the many international competitions we attend:D

Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

If you planning on staying with IPSC shooting invest in a good competition rig (holster, stiff belt & mag pouches) as it makes you even safer with regard to gun handling.

I got a good competition rig and it makes a HUGE difference from the paddle and normal belt I tried before. I do hope to compete (I use the term lightly) in the very near future, but I have a lot of brownie points to get back with her indoors after being away for two days in a row! Dry fire in the sitting room for a while it is then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

G17,

Welld one - welcome to the fold.

Have you noticed that when you take your phone from your pocket now your trigger finger stays outside the pocket - amazing how the muscle memory takes over :-)

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

The same applies to cordless drills & DIY :D

& if you're into baking you'll be amazed how safe you are with the hand held electric mixer :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Yeah, I'm a bit anal about it though, I slept on the sofa last night 'cause I DQ'd the wife for unsafe coffee pot spout direction!!!!:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement