Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irreverance towards Mahon Tribunal

Options
  • 07-04-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Rock Climber on the Mahon Tribunal thread in the Politics forum is sailing close to the wind with regard to his criticism of the Mahon Tribunal. The same standards of fairness applied to witnesses at this tribunal should be afforded to the tribunal itself. The forum rules and moderation should refelect this.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Links to what you are on about are customary & help others provide more accurate feedback to your issue. Speaking of which, what exactly is the problem? Have you used the report post function?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055147722 is the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?do=finduser&userid=23842&searchthreadid=2055147722 are Rock Climbers posts.

I see some have been mod edit already. Report the others tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Post report is not available as thread is locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

ballooba wrote: »
    Post report is not available as thread is locked.
    PM the mods then.

Sherifu wrote: »
    PM the mods then.
    This is a query on the charter of this forum. The mods ask that this discussion take place here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Exactly what in the charter is being queried?

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Exactly what in the charter is being queried?
    That the charter be ammended to disallow unproven allegations of bias or other such impropriety by the Tribunal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I'd be against this as it would stifle legitimate discussion on the matter.

Talking your point to its logical conclusion there would be never be any acceptible discussion of the tribunal, even news reporting.

This is the policy applied to Bertie Ahern. It is only fair that the same policy be applied to Justice Mahon and his eminent colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Any defamation or libel potential cases in the forum will be removed and dealt with. The Mahon thread is a special case aimed at fostering discussion on the tribunal, which means we don't pre-empt their findings.

In light of recent online events, we've decided, in some matters, to err on the side of caution. This should not and does not effect any political commentary or opinion that is not libelous. The exception being the Mahon thread for the reasons already outlined.

Did I miss something specific?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Could we use the amount of respect shown by our Taoiseach towards the Tribunal as a yardstick for what is acceptable from our posters? Shouldn't we all aspire to the examples he sets for us?

No? Ah well, it was just a thought...

Hagar wrote: »
    Could we use the amount of respect shown by our Taoiseach towards the Tribunal as a yardstick for what is acceptable from our posters? Shouldn't we all aspire to the examples he sets for us?

No? Ah well, it was just a thought...

I know I'm not a native English speaker, but I don't see what part of my explanation, or indeed, the OP in the Mahon thread is hard to understand or unclear.

This has nothing to do with Ahern's opinions, protecting anybody or examples set by anyone. The thread is discussing the tribunal itself not (as everyone else seems to think) predicting the outcome.

PSI wrote: »
    Any defamation or libel potential cases in the forum will be removed and dealt with. The Mahon thread is a special case aimed at fostering discussion on the tribunal, which means we don't pre-empt their findings.

In light of recent online events, we've decided, in some matters, to err on the side of caution. This should not and does not effect any political commentary or opinion that is not libelous. The exception being the Mahon thread for the reasons already outlined.

Did I miss something specific?
    I realise that I may have been a bit harsh on the policy regarding passing judgement on Bertie, especially given the P.ie situation.

Rock Climber has alleged bias on the part of the Mahon Tribunal. This is potentially defamatory the same as passing judgement on Bertie is. The Mahon Tribunal judges and counsel are an identifiable group of people and any allegations of bias are an extremely serious on thier characters and professional reputations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The sarcasm tags are broken again.

Rock Climber has alleged bias on the part of the Mahon Tribunal. This is potentially defamatory the same as passing judgement on Bertie is. The Mahon Tribunal judges and counsel are an identifiable group of people and any allegations of bias are an extremely serious on thier characters and professional reputations.

OK, the politics mods have dealt with any such issue that I can see (correct me through the report post if we missed something).

PSI wrote: »
    OK, the politics mods have dealt with any such issue that I can see (correct me through the report post if we missed something).
    Much obliged. Justice Mahon and his learned friends will no doubt thank you too.;)

Much obliged. Justice Mahon and his learned friends will no doubt thank you too.;)

Not sueing us is all the thanks I need :)

Advertisement