Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roof Rack and MPG

Options
  • 07-04-2008 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am getting a roof rack for my car and was wondering if they increase the MPG by much?

I'll only need it for weekends away so I was wondering if it is worth taking it off the car when I don't need it? Suppose the flip side of this is that taking it on and off the car all the time might wear it down etc...

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

Hi all,

I am getting a roof rack for my car and was wondering if they increase the MPG by much?

I'll only need it for weekends away so I was wondering if it is worth taking it off the car when I don't need it? Suppose the flip side of this is that taking it on and off the car all the time might wear it down etc...

Any comments?

It takes all of 30 seconds to remove a roof rack?

It does affect the MPG, but it is hard to say by how much. Not by enough for it to be clearly evident on the trip computer from what I have observed, but certainly the wind noise is good enough reason to take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Years ago the German AA equivalent (ADAC) did a study on this and found that a roofrack can affect fuel consumption between 0.5 to 1.5 liters per 100 km, depending on the shape of car and roofrack.

It pays to take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

maidhc wrote: »
    It takes all of 30 seconds to remove a roof rack?

It does affect the MPG, but it is hard to say by how much. Not by enough for it to be clearly evident on the trip computer from what I have observed, but certainly the wind noise is good enough reason to take it off.
    Yup, I had a roofrack on my 156 and it was very noisy over 80 KMH. My mileage varied quite a lot depending on my hours so it was hard to tell any differences in fuel economy.

Not all of them are snap on, so it's not always a 30 second job though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I had one on a Golf a few years ago for a bike rack. It was a 30 second job to take it on and off, but it was a two man job - if you did it on your own you'd be risking scratching/marking the roof.

I never really noticed a big change in fuel economy, although it undoubtedly affects it. Leave the roof rack on full time and ease off the accelerator a little :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wonder what kind of impact those big roof boxes you see on MPV's have on fuel consumption?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

Thanks for the feedback!

Doesn't sound like it will make a massive difference to the MPG, so to start with I'll just leave it on permanently and see if I can notice a difference....

Advertisement