Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin for the first time, advice?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey,
    I'll be going to Dublin to work for the summer, but it's only for the summer, June - Mid september. I've lived away from hom before but only with friends. I don't really know how to go about getting a place for myself, I hear daft.ie is the best place to look and sharing is the way to go because its cheaper ( thats what I'll be going for! :)).
    I'll be working in Blancherdstown area. Mostly what I'm wondering is when I should actually look, I've been told its too early to look now,closer to the time is batter, because places go so fast? And whats the situation with leases, I see a lot of 1 year/ 6 month ones, does this mean I'd have to stay for 1 year/6 months??

Any other advice would be great too!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

I'd start looking within a month of when you'll be starting work. Most people have to give a month's notice when they are moving out.

But it might be a good idea to keep an eye on Daft from time to time that way you can work out how much you will most likely be paying in rent.

Blanchardstown is a pretty big area so I guess somewhere close to where you work would be a bonus. Check out http://www.dto.ie it will allow you work out how long it will take to walk/cycle from work to home plus you can use it to find out exactly where places are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The reason to look closer to the time rather than now is that most people with somewhere to rent now, want it rented ASAP.

Check daft.ie, specifically the accommodation sharing section, and especially as june approaches, you'll find a lot of people who are in college in dublin, and renting, who'll want someone to take their room for the summer months, but leave again in september when they return. I've friends who've done this, it works out better for them than trying to find a new place to live when they come back in September.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Best of luck with your move OP. You wont find many places wtih short term leases so your best best bit is to speak with prospective landlord about your situation and im sure someone will accommodate you.

Will you have your own transport? Blanch is a big place. Daft.ie is your best bet. There are some nice areas and not so nice areas in Blanch.

YOu can also find out some info about specific areas on www.neighbours.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lucozade123

Thanks for the advice!
    faceman wrote: »
    Will you have your own transport?
    Nope don't think I will really, the place I'm working is Damastown, in the industrial park/IBM technology campus. When I was up there a taxi driver told me there should be plenty of houses for rent during the summer, so hopefully it won't be too hard to get a reasonaly priced place somewhere close enough...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks for the advice!

Nope don't think I will really, the place I'm working is Damastown, in the industrial park/IBM technology campus. When I was up there a taxi driver told me there should be plenty of houses for rent during the summer, so hopefully it won't be too hard to get a reasonaly priced place somewhere close enough...

Im not too familiar with the bus services around blanch, i recommend you check that all out before moving. www.dublinbus.ie

There are no convenient trains or luas in blanch itself near damastown. I know damastown industrial estate well. Its very close to the ladyswell estate which doesnt have a great name.

If it was me, i would probably rent in clonee village (its far nicer than the clonee housing estate) and either cycle or walk to work. Its probably about 25 minute walk from the village to the roundabout at the top of the industrial park. Clonee village has lots of pubs, restaurants and a convenience store. there is a regular bus to blanch shopping centre however also a not so regular bus to town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement