Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Punto - What to look out for?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rmurf

cheers for that advice.

is it better to get a polo that is a few years older and probably a (gud) few decent miles more on it than a younger, less used punto??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I wouldn't recommend older Polos - poxy 1.0 litre engines, usually no power steering, no airbags until at least '99 on Irish models, and gearboxes have been known to break in '98 models (not sure about the extent of this issue). Before anyone suggests anything about German build quality, they were built in Spain :)

If you're getting a Polo, at least look for a 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

klaus23 wrote: »
    That's complete and utter nonsense, you'll be telling us they rust next.

For those of you tending to believe this crap, for a start FIAT dispensed with the red key system post 1998 - so this would only apply to the Mark 1 Punto anyway - and even if you don't have the red key it can be reverse coded off the ECU. Check the Fiat Coupe Owners Forum for information if you don't believe me.

I've had two Cinq Sportings, one Sei Sporting, one Punto Sporting and a Coupe and not once did I need the red key, even after changing or disconnecting batteries.

My dads 94 Uno rusted... after a Dublin Bus took the side off it :D

Refering to the poster about the key:

Even if you lose the code card (which replaced the red key) and destroy the ECU you are not in any real trouble. I've *replaced* the ECU in a Punto with an original Magneti Marelli one and it reprogrammes off the key. You'd need to lose both keys, the code card to order new keys, and your ECU before you're in real trouble. You might want a new car if you managed to do all of that in a short enough time span to not get one element replaced first.

And I suspect the original dealer would still be able to obtain the codes for you then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Meath999

JohnCleary wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=51582

Gonna drive up to that car this weekend. Apart from the usuals which I can check myself (suspension, gearbox, clutch, crashed etc) is there any particular weakness in these model cars?

It's a first car for the GF so I don't want to be spending mega bucks, and I want somethign small as she'll be using it for city driving. I hate the colour but she likes it

Any advise appreciated

Instead pick up a ford fiesta, even an old version, very relaible good car. I have a 95 ford fiesta since 2002, and in daily use, never broke down, though over 100K miles on the clock now, once left in the car park for 2 months and was up and running fine with a mere stroke of the ignition key !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

klaus23 wrote: »
    That's complete and utter nonsense, you'll be telling us they rust next.

For those of you tending to believe this crap, for a start FIAT dispensed with the red key system post 1998 - so this would only apply to the Mark 1 Punto anyway - and even if you don't have the red key it can be reverse coded off the ECU. Check the Fiat Coupe Owners Forum for information if you don't believe me.

I've had two Cinq Sportings, one Sei Sporting, one Punto Sporting and a Coupe and not once did I need the red key, even after changing or disconnecting batteries.
    The red key is to reprogramme the ECU/Immobiliser, or to clone more 'Blue' keys. But only for the Punto Mk1 (94-99) - known as CODE1 system. Chances are you'll never need it. On another note, never use the red key to start the car daily, as each time it is used in the ignition it resets the ECU and erases all information.

MK2/3 Punto's (99-present) don't have a 'red' key, instead their CODE2 system recodes the key everytime it's inserted into the ignition. The way to find out if you're system is CODE2, is by checking the key for a triangle and circle and the number 2. These keys can only be cut from FIAT!

• Advertisement
Advertisement