Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[Req] Converting to Vegetable Oil Queries

Options
  • 07-04-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm considering converting my diesel car to run on vegatable oil and wish to convert it as cost effectively as possible. My understanding is that you need to input a device into the car that will heat the vegetable oil up to a degree in which the engine can burn it before it goes into the engine.

My main queries are:

What is the name of this device?
    Is it simply this one device to be installed or is there anything else to do?
    I wish to install the device myself. Can anyone with experience refer me a reliable procedure to follow?
    Can anyone recommend a good value for money place to buy all the parts necessary? (on the net or otherwise)
    Does anyone know a value for money place to bulk buy vegetable oil?
    Is there anything else to look out for when converting?

Any help with the above queries will be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

ring ecocar.ie

or buy and older W123/W124 diesel merc like mine that needs no (or little) modification at all...

try www.eilishoils.com for bulk veggie oil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Hi all,
    Started runing my 96 Peugeot 406 td on 30% vegoil 70% Diesel ,Seems to like it!!
    It's got the Bosch Injector pump so it should be ok !!Time will tell ,will try
    50/50 on my next fill.
    Itactually ran on 100% veg oil (aldi's 69 cent p/litre)
    I opened the 4 allen screws on the the filter housing drained the diesel through the bottom water bleed of hose.
    Disconnected the diesel inlet hose to filter houseing connected on a small heather tank filled both the filter housing and heather tank with 2 litres of heated veg oil (about 80 degrees C) bleed and she started first turn,after 10 seconds the engine sounded smoother.so it can handle it ok but needs to be heated up well before she will run.
    Thinking of making up a kit to run on 100% veg oil seeing that the Diesel is @1.30 and going up 3 cents tonite.
    The car has done nearly 200,000 miles so it's worth a try.
    Any advise on the pros and cons of using veg oil??
    not sure about the legal side of it in ireland ,
    In u.k. you can use 2500 litres per year without paying any Tax.
    Thanks
    Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I second giving ecocar.ie a buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

3ps wrote: »
    try www.eilishoils.com for bulk veggie oil
    They are acquired by Ganbia PLC. Customer support doesn't know if they still sell vegetable oil.

you can check with other suppliers here:
    http://www.biofuelsfortransport.ie/Producers_suppliers.asp

and report back your findings?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

3ps wrote: »
    you can check with other suppliers here:
    http://www.biofuelsfortransport.ie/Producers_suppliers.asp

and report back your findings?
    None of the retailers/suppliers listed on that page answer phonecalls.

Advertisement