Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kelly Holmes is one to talk......

• 07-04-2008 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

Just read an article where Kelly Holmes slates Dwain Chambers for bringing shame to the sport of Athletics. I find this strange coming from someone who for years never won a major gold (lets not count the Commonwealth as major). Then at the tender age of 34, she develops a sprint and wins 2 Gold medals in Athens. It also appears her eyes actually leave her head as she crosses the finish line.

Stones and Glasshouses ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

has holmes everbeen found guily of cheating or been banned from the sport though, regardless if she has won or medel or not, maybe she trained, or am i just being naive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Holmes was always there or thereabouts, always ravaged by injury and never got a serious run of health together. For Athens, everything came together and she won two gold. Its a bit crappy to insinuate she was on something (and also outside the charter of this board if unsubstantiated).

Also, her double gold wasn't a dominant streaking away with 10m to spare, it was inch-by-inch edging to the front at the last minute stuff. She always had a kick, was always in touch. She was running her Athens winning times for 9 years previous.

1995 1:56.21
    2004 1:56.38

1997 3:58.07
    2004 3:57.90

Some research may be required before your next rant:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Nah, she age and her eyes bulging out of her head are enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Bolbill have you read the charter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I think Kelly Holmes also may not have won a major gold in the period leading up to Athens because of the dominance of a certain Maria Mutola.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

BolBill wrote: »
    Just read an article where Kelly Holmes slates Dwain Chambers for bringing shame to the sport of Athletics. I find this strange coming from someone who for years never won a major gold (lets not count the Commonwealth as major). Then at the tender age of 34, she develops a sprint and wins 2 Gold medals in Athens. It also appears her eyes actually leave her head as she crosses the finish line.

Stones and Glasshouses ?

How did she bring shame on the sport of athletics? No one in UK athletic circles has anything negative to say about Holmes. You'll have to come up with better evidence than her age and her bulging eyes.

Read the charter: No unfounded drug allegations, please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement