Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quietest PC case?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Planning on ordering a new PC, just looking for some advice regarding which case to choose. Having spent the last four years listening to my laptop's constant, hair-dryer whine I would love to have my new computer as silent as possible, while still keeping it upgradable and cost effective. Sounds like I may asking for too much there, but any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Depends on a lot of your components too of course...

I have the Antec P900 and despite having 3 120mm and 1 200mm fans, they're set at their low speed and there's barely a whisper from it.

Loudest fan in the machine now is the one on the graphics card (8800GTX) and the DVD Drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The Antec Sonata 3is quiet with a decent (not super powerful though) 550w PSU and the Antec P182 is also very very quiet but has no PSU.

Another quiet choice is the Akasa Eclipse

Both the Antecs come with quiet fans installed while you'd have to swap out the stock fans in the Akasa for something quieter.

For ease of building I'd say the Akasa is the winner based on my experience, as it has a removeable motherboard tray and for expandability it has enough room to install just about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Have a read around on this site for ideas on what you'll need.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

I'm pretty set on buying from komplett, so this has caught my eye: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326412&CKS=PCW

Not the most exciting looking case, but antec seem pretty good when it comes to noise. Any opinions? What other factors should I be looking out for? PSU? As far as graphics are concerned I'm going to go for a 9600gt, but there are so many different ones! Might some be quieter than others, or is that silly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

That's a decent case, you'll find reviews of it under the name P150 (when it was sold with a psu) eg: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article272-page7.html. It could be a little small to for future expansion (reason i chose the P182 myself). PSU wise a Corsair HX 520 or HX 620 would be a good choice. You should compare prices as much as you can, komplett can be very expensive. They wanted €165 for a corsair HX 620 before christmas but i picked one up from Specialtech.co.uk for under €120 (it was a similar price on dabs).

• Advertisement
Advertisement