Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter - Dublin 15

Options
  • 07-04-2008 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Following on from the thread on grass verges. I am just wondering what happens when the litter warden calls out to inspect a reported case.

For example. If you ring the litter warden and s/he calls out and sees overflowing bins and some radiators left outside someones house in a terraced housing area what is s/he likely to do. Like what is the next step.

Do they issue a fine and put it thru the door. go back to the office to find out from their records who the owner/landlord is and mail them. Issue a warning in lieu of a fine for first offence. How does it work? Is there some kind of worksheet to fill in stating when they will return to inspect the property again etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I found this on www.litter.ie
    Fingal County Council runs a Litter Freephone service to encourage the public to report incidences of littering and illegal dumping. Reports of littering results with an on the spot fine of €125 to the offender or on failure of payment a court conviction

Unfortunately there's no number given. :rolleyes:

The Fingal CoCo website has this
    If you see somebody littering please ring us so we can take action. Our freefone number is 1800 20 10 93 and we can be contacted between 9.00am and 5.00pm Mon – Thurs and 9.00am – 4.30pm (Fri) or you can e-mail: envserv@fingalcoco.ie .

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any info on the actual process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Zaph wrote: »

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any info on the actual process.

maybe someone who is or knows a litter warden might tell us. Alternatively someone who works in the council or who has gotten direct feedback.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I called them recently to report some bags of domestic waste dumped outside my garden. The guy called me back to say he had taken it away, inspected the waste and found the name and address of the a$$holes who dumped it in the waste. He tells me they will be prosecuting them .

I found them very helpful in general, so I'm sure if you want to know the procedure just call them and ask.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Someone dumped a microwave oven and a portable TV beside a path near where my son plays football/hurling. Broken glass everwhere. They've been there weeks, I must drop Fingal an email.

It's incredible that people would take the risk dumping stuff like that where children play rather than bring it to Coolmine where they can get rid of it all completely free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

the litter warden can issue on the spot fines to houses for overloaded bins ,ie lid not closed flat also for extra bags beside your bin or indeed any type of extras not inside your bin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

greatgoal wrote: »
    also for extra bags beside your bin or indeed any type of extras not inside your bin.

What about a large concrete block moved from garden to front of terraced house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

PauloMN wrote: »
    Someone dumped a microwave oven and a portable TV beside a path near where my son plays football/hurling. Broken glass everwhere. They've been there weeks, I must drop Fingal an email.

It's incredible that people would take the risk dumping stuff like that where children play rather than bring it to Coolmine where they can get rid of it all completely free of charge.
    The people who dump this stuff don't think about others.

As you are concerned about your son's safety I suggest that you clean up the broken glass. It will result in a safer environment in a much shorter timeframe. Then ask FCC to remove the microwave.

I clean up glass and litter in my estate and do other small maintenance that I know would take FCC months to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

The Council has a ridiculously small number of inspectors. I have a feeling you are relying on 2 or 3 guys who are overworked!

The Council has a ridiculously small number of inspectors. I have a feeling you are relying on 2 or 3 guys who are overworked!
    Probably true. That's why people should report the littering that they see. It's quite satisfying. :D

One Litter Warden told me how he was shot at when investigating illegal dumping down Dunsink Lane! The van might have been hit by some of the shotgun pellets but he was not hurt, though he was quite shaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

What about cars? I reported one near me to the abandoned cars dept of fingal council. The windows are all smashed and beer cans all over the seats. Turns out it belongs to a neighbour and its on a public road:confused:. Does this mean they can leave it there till it rots? Its been there about 2 months.

• Advertisement

What about cars? I reported one near me to the abandoned cars dept of fingal council. The windows are all smashed and beer cans all over the seats. Turns out it belongs to a neighbour and its on a public road:confused:. Does this mean they can leave it there till it rots? Its been there about 2 months.
    Get onto the FCC Environment section again. (though they can be very slow)
    If the tax/insurance/NCT are expired then the Gardai should move it or at least ticket them.

Of course, if the car's license plates are missing FCC are much quicker to remove it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

If the tax is out out date of the license plates are gone the Garda can remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Theres 2 discs but Im not sure about the dates. Informed the guards. The plates are still on it. I wish they would put it in their garden instead of on the road. My neighbour spoke to them but they just shrugged their shoulders as if to say ,so what.

Theres 2 discs but Im not sure about the dates. Informed the guards. The plates are still on it. I wish they would put it in their garden instead of on the road. My neighbour spoke to them but they just shrugged their shoulders as if to say ,so what.
    The Gardai are brutal for removing these cars - I've reported a number of them and they always say that they have to catch the cars in use.
    The Community Officers have a weekly open meeting in Laurel Lodge Community Centre. I think it's Tuesdays between 7-8pm. Show up with the photo. Call the Community Centre to confirm day/time.

As the car is in a brutal state you could take a photo and present it to the Gardai - this might get them to put pressure on the owners.
    Contact your local councillors too, again with the photo. They can put pressure on FCC.

Advertisement