Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox live - O2 Wireless Internet

• 07-04-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭

can it be done? Download speeds of 3.6mb (up to, usually around 1.5) is it fast enough for xbox live

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Very unlikely as the ping is atrocious for these products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Very unlikely as the ping is atrocious for these products.

+1

Avoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

I used Vodafone on live and its perfect 100 ms ping and i have had no problems apart form the crappy download cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Anyone tried the O2 wireless connection with an XBox 360?

How would it work in theory?

Do I just plug it into my XBox the same way I plug it into my PC?
    (sorry for the brain donor questions) :)

M

Also does it matter if I get an Arcade, Premium or Elite Version.
    Will I still be bale to get onto XBox live?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

mathie wrote: »
    Anyone tried the O2 wireless connection with an XBox 360?

How would it work in theory?

Do I just plug it into my XBox the same way I plug it into my PC?
    (sorry for the brain donor questions) :)

M

Anyone know how to get my XBox 360 to get internet access via my 02 wireless router?

Thanks
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

either get wireless adapter for 360 or just use standard cat5 cable if you have any free ports on the router, set the ip adress or use DHCP and thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Greyskull

Is this the usb wireless things? i was wondering if they can be used for Xbox Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

the USB modem can be used for xbox live,I use the vodafone one, although if i had a choice i would much prefer fixed line broadband. The problem with mobile bb is lag, some times it is very bad other times it is not noticable. If you have a choice get fixed line, if not test which mobile provider gives best coverage in your area :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4 qpirate

mathie wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get my XBox 360 to get internet access via my 02 wireless router?

Thanks
    M

it is possible all you need to do is:
    On the laptop
    1. Connect the o2 router to your laptop and connect it to the internet.
    2. Click on the network icon in the notification icon. make sure it is the one the o2 connection has made.
    3. Click Properties and then click Security.
    4. In here you should see share this connection, when you click this checkbox, if you have a wireless card in your computer there should be a dropdown if not then you should just see your lan connection.
    make sure that which connection you want to select for the xbox to connect to.
    5. Click ok all the way back to the desktop.
    6. Click on the connection you have set to be connected to the xbox. and on the general tab click properties.
    7. Open the Ip Address plug in on the screen. make sure it is set to:
    Ip Address: 192.168.1.1
    Submask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

On the xbox set the following in the network settings of the system setup:
    1. Open the Connection Type
    2. Set it to Manual
    3. Set the following
    Ip Address: 192.168.1./*any other ip address you want except 0,1,254,255 these are reserved*/
    Submask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    4. Then you will need to do the follow click on secondary\DNS options and set the primary dns to be:
    Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
    5. exit out of it all after saving and test the connection.

This should work for you. for a wireless connection you will need to set different properties, but i aint done that even tho i know its possible. i will post up when i get it working.

Some of these names may be wrong, but the general layout of the steps are correct. i am doing this from memory as i dont have the setup before me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

thats a pretty round about way of doing it,

just connect laptop or pc to internet with o2

go to network connections in control panel , highlight o2 wireless connection and lan / ethernet and right click.

Select bridge

get a lan cable connect to xbox and laptop and switch on xbox.

if its not working run the tests in the system blade on the xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

any one try halo with this? any results?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Anyone know if the 3 modem will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 qpirate

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 3 modem will work?

yes the same rules apply, they are the exactly same piece of kit that O2 and 3 use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

3G/HSDPA services are absolutely sh1te for games, because they all suffer from very bad latency. It doesn't matter if you can download at 7 megabits if your ping is still 300ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Stephen wrote: »
    3G/HSDPA services are absolutely sh1te for games, because they all suffer from very bad latency. It doesn't matter if you can download at 7 megabits if your ping is still 300ms.

Ping to where though?

I have o2 broadband on trial for a week and tried it with xbox last night.....was ok with tiger woods and Farcry2.

tested the ping and it was 508ms to san diego which is ~5000 miles

It was about 130ms to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

cuculainn wrote: »
    Ping to where though?

I have o2 broadband on trial for a week and tried it with xbox last night.....was ok with tiger woods and Farcry2.

tested the ping and it was 508ms to san diego which is ~5000 miles

It was about 130ms to Dublin

Just said I would give you an update on the o2 mobile "Midband" for Xbox Live.

I have been using it for the last few days. for downloads of xbox updates and maps for different games it is pretty fast.

For online gaming such as Tiger Woods golf it is fine, with usually no Lag.

Tried it last night with FarCry2 It seemed to be playing ok, but as I am pretty crap at the game at the moment it is hard to tell if I am the cause of me being killed all the time or the Lag...........Realistically it is prob more to do with my gaming skills.

As I said in the previous post I am getting downloads speeds of 3mb and up of 1mb. with a ping to Dublin of 130m/s.

Depending on the speed test i use, I can get a Ping of 130m/s to San Fran.

Anyway Ihave decided to keep the o2 broadband as it suits my needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

so can i use my 3g , modem to update my 360 etc untill i get some sort of broad band service...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yes you need to setup Internet Connection Sharing for a USB modem to the 360.

My brother has used his but he has a HSPA solution and not a HSDPA connection. It depends on your modem and operator which service you will get. You should be able to tell from your upload speed in a speed test. If it goes over a 150KB/s then you should have a HSPA connection (this is probably actually a HSUPA connection but they don't say). If you are located near the mast, you may get pings of a little over 100ms which will allow you to play games with a stable enough connection online. You will however experience death from mystery every now and again and need faster reactions than your opponent to kill them as their connection will most likely be almost a 1/10th of a second faster than yours which is a noticable difference at times. If you get the jump on them you should still come out on top in a Halo match.

Instructions for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) for USB modems is avaiable below.
    https://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/XboxLive/GetConnected/SetupaHomeNetwork/WindowsICSConnection.aspx

Note this may work for *some* O2 and maybe Vodafone connections (never seen it) but will most likely not work for 3 users (due to the modem your most likely using and the service type you are most likely receiving). It also depends on distance from mast as this is the slowest part of the connection to Live so it will not work for all users and should be assumed not to work before signing up for the connection. It may also be affected if a lot of users in your area are connected to the same mast as you at the same time (ie. contention). You will know this if the speeds go crap on your speed tests and your gaming isn't good then this is what is happening so you may end up with more late night game fests (although some people torrent over night which may stop that working).

Anyway you will be able to use it for updates etc... assuming the connection is stable and you will be able to download demos etc... and maybe even play games like Uno or similar games where speed isn't that important (ie. not FPS games).

Hope this puts this issue to rest as a lot of people ask about this and there seems to be a lot of confusion on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 generalp

calex71 wrote: »
    thats a pretty round about way of doing it,

just connect laptop or pc to internet with o2

go to network connections in control panel , highlight o2 wireless connection and lan / ethernet and right click.

Select bridge

get a lan cable connect to xbox and laptop and switch on xbox.

if its not working run the tests in the system blade on the xbox.

it wont let me bridge the o2 and the lan????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Thinkin on gettin one of those N adaptor wirless thingys. Are they worth the dough. On eircom but have xbox connected at mo by ethernet cable. Will i lose some of my signal by moving xbox with adaptor between rooms further away from modem

Advertisement