Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC Broadband 12Mb (alledgedly)

Options
  • 07-04-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

I just switched today I am currently on eircoms 3Mb / 512Kb service for 55 yoyos a month (last time I checked) and a 30GB Cap.

UPC, who I already get my TV off of are now offering a 12Mb service with a 120GB cap for 40 yoyos a month. This appears at face value to be a simply amazing offer.

It gets installed on Friday, so I'll update with realworld speeds, pings etc.

Inqui

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I'll look forward to the update so because I'm thinking of changing over to UPC from Eircom myself and would like to know what exactly the service is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hippee

Hey guys,

I have a 12mb from UPC for over 2 days now and speeds are incredible. PS3 works very well indeed with COD4 online.

No issue's as i haven't gone below 8mb at any stage. Torrents (legal of course)
    are running very well also.

Hope this helps somehow.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

That's exactly what I wanted to know about - online play and torrents/downloads. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

258018715.png

Ping at the router is actually 20, there's some latency in the Ethernet over Powerline I use. I got sustained 11.9Mb for a download of an entire HD movie (non copyright ofc)

I have to say I am seriously impressed with this, works great with the 360, PS3 and for PC online gaming.

Inqui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They do limit speeds on torrents I thought though which wouldn't stop me switching but in a perfect world, they wouldn't limit anything since users are paying for BB and most torrent users would consider that they should be allowed use torrents over their BB connection without being limited given they paid for it.

Why doesn't the ASAI force them to put this sort of information up front and centre in their adverts or ask them to make it clear in their terms and conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hippee

Correct me if i'm wrong here but in the T+C's i saw some mention that they have the right to make changes to the network as they OWN the network or something like that... For me its simple guys, there's always greedy bast*rds on any network who spoil it for the majority. Obviously large downloads use Bandwidth and if an ISP feel they have many many users taking the piss they wil throttle the bandwidth of p2p.
    Remember these ISP's can see exactly what's passing through their backhaul ie. ports, type of traffic etc and as very few bit torrent apps encrpyt then they have a real time view of whats going on.
    If they throttle then there is more than likely a reason which brings me back to what i originally said, a few spoil it for the many :mad::mad::mad:

I read a lot of complaints going on about legal DL's etc on this site but reports from all ISP's worldwide show the vast majority are ILLEGAL.

So many ILLEGAL downloaders spoil it for the LEGAL DL's.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

hippee wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong here but in the T+C's i saw some mention that they have the right to make changes to the network as they OWN the network or something like that... For me its simple guys, there's always greedy bast*rds on any network who spoil it for the majority. Obviously large downloads use Bandwidth and if an ISP feel they have many many users taking the piss they wil throttle the bandwidth of p2p.
    Remember these ISP's can see exactly what's passing through their backhaul ie. ports, type of traffic etc and as very few bit torrent apps encrpyt then they have a real time view of whats going on.
    If they throttle then there is more than likely a reason which brings me back to what i originally said, a few spoil it for the many :mad::mad::mad:

I read a lot of complaints going on about legal DL's etc on this site but reports from all ISP's worldwide show the vast majority are ILLEGAL.

So many ILLEGAL downloaders spoil it for the LEGAL DL's.:)

Saying they can make any change whenever they want as a term and condition is very ambigious and I imagine not a valid term and condition in a contract if challenged. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If so I should start a company selling t-shirts with an agreement that the person may or may not receive the t-shirt depending on whether I feel like sending it to them or not. At the end of the day, I'm in control of the t-shirts and they are my t-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Selling a Service is not quite the same as selling a Product. There is scope for change.

Even with T-Shirt, its not yours till the company has paid and they could validly have a T&C that says the colours could be different, or even the design is different. It would have to be the correct size you ordered unless "one fits all" size specified.

It would be reasonable to expect a period of notice (30days?) usually defined in T&C for new conditions. Also changes would have to be deemed "reasonable".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Quick question...

I live in an area (Macroom, Co. Cork) that is not currently connected to an Eircom broadband enabled exchange but the area is covered by Chorus TV, are Chorus providing this service via their TV satellite or something?

I checked the website but there doesnt seem to be a way of checking if I'm in an area that's covered.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Quick question...

I live in an area (Macroom, Co. Cork) that is not currently connected to an Eircom broadband enabled exchange but the area is covered by Chorus TV, are Chorus providing this service via their TV satellite or something?

I checked the website but there doesnt seem to be a way of checking if I'm in an area that's covered.

Cheers!

I'm pretty certain there's no question there. :D

Call them and ask. If you're on MMDS you won't be able to but only they can tell you for definite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Chorus / NTL (actually UPC) don't have Satellite, though Channel 6 and some others are distributed to head ends via Satellite.

In real Cable areas (not MMDS or cable fed by MMDS), the old Band I VHF TV channel space on the cable is used for return Internet data (upstream) and the space of an ordinary VHF/UHF cable channel is used for Internet data to user (downstream). A Cable Modem (uses coax connection) rather than DSL modem (uses phone line) then provides the Internet ethernet socket. The TV coax is split to feed TV set and Modem.

The place the cables go back to has then the "backhaul" Internet to UPCs data centre place(s), and then to Internet Backbones, INEX etc. No telephone exchanges are involved nor any cute furry animals hurt.

Several other ISPs can provide Internet and Broadband too, without any mobile phone systems or expensive phone wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

watty wrote: »
    Chorus / NTL (actually UPC) don't have Satellite, though Channel 6 and some others are distributed to head ends via Satellite.

In real Cable areas (not MMDS or cable fed by MMDS), the old Band I VHF TV channel space on the cable is used for return Internet data (upstream) and the space of an ordinary VHF/UHF cable channel is used for Internet data to user (downstream). A Cable Modem (uses coax connection) rather than DSL modem (uses phone line) then provides the Internet ethernet socket. The TV coax is split to feed TV set and Modem.

The place the cables go back to has then the "backhaul" Internet to UPCs data centre place(s), and then to Internet Backbones, INEX etc. No telephone exchanges are involved nor any cute furry animals hurt.

Several other ISPs can provide Internet and Broadband too, without any mobile phone systems or expensive phone wires.

Thanks for that, good explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 halcyon-days

I just moved to Donegal in a small place called Killygordon, I've taken my isp with u.tv but there 20GB is a joke and i've decided to cancel my service with them.

I saw this advertised and the speed looks fantastic 12MB for 40 euro/month.

I didn't have time this morning to ring them to enquire about services available but does anyone know if it’s possible to get them here in Donegal?

I'm hoping it’s possible as i've been researching online and the best ISP's only offer 3MB but have all got ridiculous usage caps. I moved from N.Ireland to the Republic and in Strabane which is only 15 min drive away i received free broadband from talk talk at 8MB so im finding this 3MB connection speed to be a complete an utter joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

UPC (NTL/Chorus) cable broadband is only available in some large towns and cities.

Advertisement