Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D4 accent - does it bother you?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i have heard and had this conversation with a few people (not started by meself) and in general from what i can see, a lot of people cannot stand the D4 accent. In fairness some of the twang bothers me, like when you hear the young girls complaining about being left on their "tobler" or the worst one iv have ever heard is a girl in a strong D4 accent at the airport asking for "simons cellphone number" (its a mobile goddamit!:eek:).

What does the general AH conencus think here, keeping in mind you can flake any other accent you wish out of it, if your from D4 of course!!!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its usually suffised with a transatlantic interrogative inflection now..so it sound like they're,you know,asking,like,a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I despise it, it's just feckin awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Prefer it to the "deadly" Dublin accent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Degsy wrote: »
    Its usually suffised with a transatlantic interrogative inflection now..so it sound like they're,you know,asking,like,a question?

LOL very good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Annoying people sound annoying with any accent.

• Advertisement

Tote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rb_ie wrote: »

qf-mf-t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

This is very true.

All the jokes aside, I dont really care about the D4 accent tbqh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The new trend is for the Southside kids to all talk like they are from the mean streets of Finglas and hang around outside the shop from what i can see!

Buses are even more fun, like the group of morons i had to ask to shut the fukk up on Saturday.

I understand that Mammy and Daddy are unlikely to care but the guy on the bus who's asking you to stop screaming at each other has limited patience kids!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

Hate D4 heads lingo

• Advertisement

I'l take a scanger over it any day. The "deadly" accent is at least amusing!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Depends. There are varying degrees. Plus, even though it may sound contrived, it's not actually put on. It's how people speak - they grew up with it, they can't help it. My mate's from a rich family and grew up in Ballsbridge, she has a posh accent - fair enough, goes with the territory. And she doesn't use all that "Tobler", "Heino" slang. She just speaks normally - and she doesn't exaggerate her accent. It's when people do the above that it becomes annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Sure you cant help it if its what you grew up with it but the amount of people who in a short space of time modify their own accents to speak like this is brutal. I know a few fellow native Mayo people who went D4 in a matter of months. Turns my stomach.

Tis more of a mindset than an accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

could be worse.....like one of those culchie accents.

RuggieBear wrote: »

Oh come on, the culthcie accents are so hot right now:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've been loike told by loike a Coork boi that I've loike a D4 ac-cent, I was loike, ooh moi gawd loike, no freaking waay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

RuggieBear wrote: »

Leave us culchies alone! All we want to do is provide you with spuds for your chippers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

It depends on the person talking really. If someone says "Roight" more than five times in a conversation or uses "Heino" and other assorted words, it does do my head in.

Although a strong Louth accent... *shudder*

A strong Kerry accent a la Jackie Healy Rae is most amusing. I haven't a clue what that chap says most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Who is/was the poster with the ' leave britney alone ' avatar ? (removed )

I just wanted to say ' leave britney alone ' ....loike

stevoman wrote: »
    i have heard and had this conversation with a few people (not started by meself) and in general from what i can see, a lot of people cannot stand the D4 accent. In fairness some of the twang bothers me, like when you hear the young girls complaining about being left on their "tobler" or the worst one iv have ever heard is a girl in a strong D4 accent at the airport asking for "simons cellphone number" (its a mobile goddamit!:eek:).

What does the general AH conencus think here, keeping in mind you can flake any other accent you wish out of it, if your from D4 of course!!!!!

Personally,I don't judge people on their accent,sneering on their accent is no different than the way dublin people sneer cuchies accents.

Plus, it is only since the ROCK books that you have been hearing people complaining about the accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I dislike it purely because it's always so hammed up. Some people might speak with a D4 accent but it's almost always played up to the fullest extent allowed by the English language. Why play it up? Because, similar to so called "Proper" English it is seen as a symbol of status and therefore anyone speaking to me in a D4 accent is instantly a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Yeah it can be really annoying especially when the only noise that is made in that accent may as well be a transcript of an episode of the O.C !! I do know some people with the D4 accent who are smart and good fun and in those cases its just another accent. I suppose its more about whats said rather than the accent that can wear on peoples nerves a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I don't mind a mild d4 accent, but a really strong one.. example your one Bec's from Dan and Bec's... jesus.. makes me want to slap her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Personally,I don't judge people on their accent,sneering on their accent is no different than the way dublin people sneer cuchies accents.
    Meh, I'd sneer at any moron who puts on an accent/uses lingo in a forced manner. But no, I wouldn't judge someone based on an accent they can't help having.
    Plus, it is only since the ROCK books that you have been hearing people complaining about the accent.
    It's since well before then. Remember those AA Roadwatch/Weather girls with all that "ryndabite", "sythe", "clydee" crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hellm0 wrote: »
    I dislike it purely because it's always so hammed up. Some people might speak with a D4 accent but it's almost always played up to the fullest extent allowed by the English language. Why play it up? Because, similar to so called "Proper" English it is seen as a symbol of status and therefore anyone speaking to me in a D4 accent is instantly a twat.

This man speaks the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭James Bong 79

its alot worse when the person with the d4 accent, isnt actually from d4.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Can't stand it!!!

All those "Oh my Gawd's" and "Loike's" would send anyone barmy. have found myself having to take a deep breath on more than one occasion whenever i hear someone with it.

I mean okay the odd person could say those words maybe once or twice in a sentence, but when they use them in every second word of a conversation, you just want to scream at them to shut the f*** up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

No problem with the D4 accent. However, when people put it on or over-emphasize it or any other accent, it gets very very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no problem with it, but the stupid phrases and abbreviations they make up though like heino etc slightly piss me off.

• Advertisement

Thats is so untrue. I only found out who Ross O'carroll Kelly was about a week ago.

Please dont tell me he is reffered to as ROCK ~shudder~

Advertisement