Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D4 accent - does it bother you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

That's part of the joke as in Blackrock College.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Horrible snobby accent tbh.

Oh and poll FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

It's not the accent as much as the pretentious nature of the people who use it. I was in Citywest the night of the UCD ball(not attending), the morning after we were settling in to watch the Ireland V Wales rugby game. My head was totally wrecked with "Oh My God I was like soooooo drunk last night" "oh my God I've such a hangover" etc etc etc, there was no way I could watch a rugby match in piece with them so we legged it to a safer more normal venue. D4 users tend to be very loud & repetitive too.

Am I the only ones that absolutely hated those ROCK books? So unbelievably unfunny.

The D4 accent is diabolical. It's not even, loike, a natural one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Nope you're not the only one. Toss O'Carroll Kelly is a load of sh1te. The lowest form of comedy is based on stereotyping peoples/regions accents.

See: Bishop, Des

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

D4 accents don't bother me too much. But when they have that fake American accent added to it it drives me up the wall. Try to go to Dundrum shopping centre on a weekend and then try not to go insane. Its a very difficult thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I live in Belfast so am not actually quite sure what the D4 accent is although I have a fair idea what it is. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to post up something from Youtube to enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

DaBreno wrote: »
    Sure you cant help it if its what you grew up with it but the amount of people who in a short space of time modify their own accents to speak like this is brutal. I know a few fellow native Mayo people who went D4 in a matter of months. Turns my stomach.

Fellow natives or not, you need to give these people a good kicking :D

Ah, contrived D4 accents and Ugg Boots - two of my most hated things!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

how can you possibly tell if a stranger is putting on an accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I lived in Ballsbridge from the age of 7 until 24 and nobody has ever said they didnt like my accent. I have a lovely speaking voice, my mother told me so.

• Advertisement

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I lived in Ballsbridge from the age of 7 until 24 and nobody has ever said they didnt like my accent. I have a lovely speaking voice, my mother told me so.
    shame about your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I hate it. You hear some idiots from time to time in Co. Waterford speaking with it.

Sangre wrote: »
    how can you possibly tell if a stranger is putting on an accent?

you just can. There's a really nice d4 accent and then theres the roooooooiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggghhhhhhhtttt accent, seriously it's unmissable.

I grew up in Tallaght but have a normal accent however I remember people who faked the knacker accent to sound as much of a knacker as possible:confused::confused: - that's much worse than the D4 thing imo!

hav yeh goh a smowke bud, I'n gummin for wan!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ioctl

The D4 accent doesn't bother me because I have real-world-important things to think about.

I grew up in Tallaght but have a normal accent

funny, i'm sure they'd say the exact same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What buses stop on Nassau Street? There was a bunch of teenage girls at a bus stop there one day and I was on the verge of begging them to stop torturing me. Their accents brought tears to my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

D4 accents are fine. Its when people say stuff like tobler and morto its because they are fake and trying to ham it up. They're probably from the noggin and are pretending to be posh :p

If the people with the accents are prats thats one thing, but the accent sounds nice and is clear. How can you hate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What the hell is tobler? Have D4 heads actually abbreviated a chocolate bar?

Kinda rhyming slang - "I was on my toblerone" meaning "I was on my own". And then it got shortened: "I was on my tobler"...

I know. It's monstrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

D4 accent? meh, doesn't bother me

What annoys me more is people assume D4 is all the same. OP, been in Ringsend or Irishtown recently? I'm not saying they are kips but not exactly desirable.

So do they fit into your description too? They probably form close to half of D4

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Kinda rhyming slang - "I was on my toblerone" meaning "I was on my own". And then it got shortened: "I was on my tobler"...

I know. It's monstrous.

yeh, and it's pronounced 'Tooouuw-blair' :p (long twangy accented O's)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Dudess wrote: »
    What buses stop on Nassau Street?

46A of course, the transport of choice for the fake tanned

That's what I assumed. Christ, sometimes stereotypes are exaggerated. Not this one though, definitely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

I despise it, it's just feckin awful.

Agreed, I'd rather listen to the "Deadly" Dublin accent any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The OC and Abercrombie and Fitch. Blame them. And those cnuts in Blackrock in Co. Louth. It's a scurge I tell you... A SCURGE!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I find Laura Woods accent very annoying - a kind of nasaly D4.

I know someone who moved to Dublin a while back and has now magically picked up a strong D4 accent. The only thing that gives her away though is, when she's drunk, she forgets herself and starts talking in a Cork accent again. Very cringeworthy, loike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

It bothers the hell out of me. I work with a lot of these twats and I wish death to them daily.

Ironically the worst ones are usually blow-ins from places like Kildare who adopt this accent once they hit college. UCD in particular seems to be a breeding grown for ugly up-their-own-arse women who talk this contrived sh1te from morning til night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

stepbar wrote: »
    The OC and Abercrombie and Fitch. Blame them. And those cnuts in Blackrock in Co. Louth. It's a scurge I tell you... A SCURGE!!!!!
    Spot on man,They are influenced by American culture and shows...Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County,The Hills,Super Sweet 16,Living On The Edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It bothers the hell out of me. I work with a lot of these twats and I wish death to them daily.

Ironically the worst ones are usually blow-ins from places like Kildare who adopt this accent once they hit college. UCD in particular seems to be a breeding grown for ugly up-their-own-arse women who talk this contrived sh1te from morning til night.

I just tend to mock them with my leitrimesquedublin4 accent :D For a culchie I can do a good "Lorcan and Fintan" impression :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Spot on man,They are influenced by American culture and shows...Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County,The Hills,Super Sweet 16,Living On The Edge.

Which is why it's so annoying. It's not a real accent, it's an affectation used by stupid kids in order to sound like Americans. No-one over the age of 35 speaks with that accent because it didn't exist until a few years ago.

Advertisement