Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D4 accent - does it bother you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Dudess wrote: »
    Depends. There are varying degrees. Plus, even though it may sound contrived, it's not actually put on. It's how people speak - they grew up with it, they can't help it. My mate's from a rich family and grew up in Ballsbridge, she has a posh accent - fair enough, goes with the territory. And she doesn't use all that "Tobler", "Heino" slang. She just speaks normally - and she doesn't exaggerate her accent. It's when people do the above that it becomes annoying.

The D4 accent is completely differnt to a "posh" accent though, there's no comparison.

I have no problem with people that speak well some people may call it speaking posh, but the D4 accent is such a put on it's ridiculous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Dont mind the accent its the arrogant Rugby & Mummy and Daddy types

Also people who live outside D4 and think they are :rolleyes:

• I find it annoying, like someone mentioned, Bex from Dan and Bex has an incredibly annoying accent. But it bothers mean when people seem to think well spoken = D4. People sometimes tell me I have a D4 accent, but I grew up in England and have lived up north and now in Dublin for 5-6 years, so what I have is an English accent with a lot of Irish influence, which I suppose is easily confused with a 'posh' Dublin accent. Just because I pronounce words properly doesn't mean I'm a D4! To me, a D4 accent is when people pronounce the 'O' sound in that awful way, as in "I was loike seeeeeww drunk last noish", and use a question intonation when they are not asking a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

keen wrote: »
    The D4 accent is completely differnt to a "posh" accent though, there's no comparison.

I have no problem with people that speak well some people may call it speaking posh, but the D4 accent is such a put on it's ridiculous.
    No, I wouldn't use the term "posh" to describe the way a person speaks if they're well spoken, articulate, pronounce things clearly etc (if that was the case, my accent would be posh - and it ain't. It's mostly neutral with a hint of Cork, which becomes more than a hint when I'm excited/drunk). There are some natural accents which are also posh. And I'm not using the term "posh" in a perjorative sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The D4 slang accent is terrible and fake. Neither is the deadly accent any better.

I prefer the regular Dublin accent with proper english and a little dublin slang.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

In general, I find the majority of Dublin accents annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Loyk, no focking way! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Steve.Pseudonym

Your accent sucks, yes, You! The reader of this post, how I loathe you, how the bile rises in my throat on the sight, hearing or even the mere imagination of you. Look at you there, trying to be “cool” or “hip” or “bangin'” or whatever it is you're calling it these days, in a vain attempt to be impressive, with your slang and your lingo, coming as you do from some sort of socio-economic background. That's your problem, you know that? You're too damned whatever socio-economic demographic you are, you need to be more socio-economic demographic that you're not! That'd show you, you smug little whatever it is you are. Also, I find your level of education distasteful, being either lower, higher, or possibly even equal to mine! People like you/us never appreciate what it's like for people like us/you.

If I had my way I'd have all of us shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Your accent sucks, yes, You! The reader of this post, how I loathe you, how the bile rises in my throat on the sight, hearing or even the mere imagination of you. Look at you there, trying to be “cool” or “hip” or “bangin'” or whatever it is you're calling it these days, in a vain attempt to be impressive, with your slang and your lingo, coming as you do from some sort of socio-economic background. That's your problem, you know that? You're too damned whatever socio-economic demographic you are, you need to be more socio-economic demographic that you're not! That'd show you, you smug little whatever it is you are. Also, I find your level of education distasteful, being either lower, higher, or possibly even equal to mine! People like you/us never appreciate what it's like for people like us/you.

So you use the word SUCK (wtf??) and find your own level of education distasteful??:confused:

Oh, and p.s. you don't make sense, forget accents, you need to learn to form a proper sentence!

LOLS:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Jaysus, the awesome is strong with this post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

dlofnep wrote: »
    In general, I find the majority of Dublin accents annoying.

Majority?? How many Dublin accents is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

used to work with a girl from Navan. she had adopted a massive d4 twang. it was hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Give me a Templeogue, Dublin 16 accent anyday .It's so so sexy and so, so, temp a louggggeh ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I prefer the Northside accent to the D4 accent: that's how much I hate the D4 accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ironically the worst ones are usually blow-ins from places like Kildare who adopt this accent once they hit college.

Yeah, I know a girl from Kildare who, like, for some unexplained reason has a completely new D4 accent roysh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

While everyones, loike, harping on, loike, about, the Doublin fouur, loike, occent, roish. Noubody, loike, realises, roish, that....

...Dublin fower includes Ringdsend and Irishtown and the flats and the corpo houses and all dem lads.

Who de yez tink yez are wit yer bleeden affected foxrock axedents...
    Reehh - come down here and say dah, ya bleeden muppeh.

stooory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

'' Hey young wans, .......dere's younfilllliahs '' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

the thing most people find annoying about it is that its just fake. No one naturally talks like that. It grates on my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

DaBreno wrote: »
    Sure you cant help it if its what you grew up with it but the amount of people who in a short space of time modify their own accents to speak like this is brutal. I know a few fellow native Mayo people who went D4 in a matter of months. Turns my stomach.

Tis more of a mindset than an accent.

I have seen this Phenomenon also, it cracks me up. A mate of mine has two different accents and lingo for different occasions. His Mayo accent for when he is with his common country friends, and his D4 accent when he is with his D4 lady. He has been caught out a few times whilst in the company of both. He even started calling himself Mike instead of his usual Mick.
    This D4 accent makes me laugh more than boiling my blood but then again I don't have to listen to it every day thank God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Brint

ioctl wrote: »
    The D4 accent doesn't bother me because I have real-world-important things to think about.

....like reading and replying to topics about D4 accents...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

stevec wrote: »
    While everyones, loike, harping on, loike, about, the Doublin fouur, loike, occent, roish. Noubody, loike, realises, roish, that....

...Dublin fower includes Ringdsend and Irishtown and the flats and the corpo houses and all dem lads.

Who de yez tink yez are wit yer bleeden affected foxrock axedents...
    Reehh - come down here and say dah, ya bleeden muppeh.

stooory.

Exactly.

I do know a few people from Sandymount with real Dub accents so count them out of the D4 accent thing though only some Sandymounters speak like this :D

Sandymount would you believe is like a split personality, one half with the fake dort accent(the part furthest from the city) and the rest speak like their colleagues in Ringsend.

Anyway, i think the likes of Dundrum has taken up the torch of the D4 put on accent these days, its da bleein epicentre out there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I love the knackery dublin accent, don't know why, don't ask me. My fella's from tallaght origionally and I love his accent! Typical "Alri bud wats the staary wit ya?" haha.

On the other hand my very D4 cousin is a little wreck the head .. she hasn't got the full on accent ... yet .. but I reckon in about 2 years she'll be going around with tango skin, uggs and aborcrombie (sps?) and fitch.

Funny thing about our town though is that it's like divided half and half. Were in Kildare but only the bare 10km from the city centre. Half the town is D4 while the other half sound like they're from ballymun! it's funny really, and it's only started in the last few years, all the aul ones and aul fellas in the town have their kildare accents ha! my sister and all her mates have their A&F jumpers, their uggs and the likes, while my group prefer their trakkies tucked into their socks and the lads with their 0 Haircuts all around.

But yea, knackery dublin accents are so sexy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The D4 (the actual D4) style accent doesn't annoy me. It's usually a result of where someone was brought up, where they went to school and their family.

The fake exagerrated D4 accent, that is pretty much directly attributalbe to the the R'OCK series of books and the OC and more recently The Hills/Laguna Beach, annoys me to a fierce fcuking extent.

There is nothing that annoys me more than people who attempt to be something that they're clearly not, in any situation. Even worse are the ones who are relatively well off and went to private schools and feel the need to look down on anyone who isn't from within their social circle. It's quite humourous really because the true "snobs" (ie the really well off) don't generally feel the need to act like this in my experience. I would guess it's because they're secure enough knowing which class they belong to and don't feel the need to run others down to appear better than they are.

The absolute best thing about it all is the laugh I get in work from it. I work in a venue that is popular across all the "classes". And at the start of the night a great number of the oh moi gawd squad come in stuck up their own ar$e's, only to slowly but surely deteriorate towards rougher and rougher in-city style Dublin accents as they get drunker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think anyone who thinks they've a neutral accent is deluding themselves. Try telling that to an american, brit or aussie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

it's funny because here in Melbourne I hear the kids on my tram going to school every day, they speak like the OC people too. It's all "Oh my gawd, like, like, like, I was like, he was like she was like". And every sentence sounds like it's a question? See what I did there?
    I think they all want to be like the kids in Laguna Beach, and the OC, god only knows why.

Edit: I have a Finnish friend who says the kids there are saying "Oh my god" before breaking into a load of hietemekatuaktauatlakt finnish mullarkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    See what I did there?
    I think they all want to be like the kids in Laguna Beach, and the OC, god only knows why.

So ****ing sad. It's not even like Americans are that cool.
    I find their mannerisms boring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

sorry for sounding like an old fart but what the fuck is "the OC"

Is it a new 90210 or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

stevec wrote: »
    sorry for sounding like an old fart but what the fuck is "the OC"

Is it a new 90210 or something?

Drama about Orange County teens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The OC has that really tall person. IIRC she used to be really fine until she turned into a skeleton.

• Advertisement

Given there's an "Orange County" in nearly every state in the US, would this one perchance be based in orange county, CA?

Advertisement