Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D4 accent - does it bother you?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

yes it's in CA. Wow though that Mischa Barton is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

The way I see it, there is a chart of Dublin accents

<
    the 'schwarrr bud' accent
    the working mans accent
    the 'normal' Dublin accent
    a well spoken Dublin accent
    the "D4"---->

If you're on either end of this scale, at the risk generalising, you're a tosser.

I definitely agree with above. My accent used to be a lot stronger probably from going to an inner city school and the people I hung out with. When I went to college and moved abroad etc. etc. I've probably been upgraded to well spoken without being posh at all. Dublin accents are nice if they aren't at either end of the above scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Brint

Muff_Daddy wrote: »

<
    the working mans accent
    the "D4"---->

If you're on either end of this scale, at the risk generalising, you're a tosser.
    Nicely done. I reckon this is pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Does it bother me?

No

Why would it?

• Advertisement

because it sounds f**king ridiculous maybe?

<
    the working mans accent
    the "D4"---->

Nicely done and would probably work for most major cities aroung the world
    The London version,

<
    the "estuary english" accent
    Cockney accent
    the 'normal' london accent
    a well spoken London accent
    the "BBC English/Oxbridge"---->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

What is seriously funny are the foreigners who are starting to merge our accents with theirs. It's so funny listening to someone from eastern Europe say"ah for jaysus sake" or "jer know wot i mean n all"

seriously I met a chick from cork last week and it has spread to those people too. Every sentence was a question? Omg I'm from Cork? How long are you down here for? She sounded like an American and it was put on... Is it common in cork too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭anonymousman

I know for a FACT that its put on as are many people with Dublin accents from middle class areas.

The way "talk", "walk", "fall" and "all" are pronounced is awful and really strained and horrible. Theres something very "Yaw yaw yaw" about the accent that puts me off.

Same with some people putting on dublin accents, some people strain hard to put it on probably to fit in at school.

Listen to the Coronas Grace Dont Wait and the awful way they pronounce "all" and "fall".

D4 vocabulary is also irritating "actually", "random", "awful", "amazing".

• Advertisement

Personally,I don't judge people on their accent,sneering on their accent is no different than the way dublin people sneer cuchies accents.

Plus, it is only since the ROCK books that you have been hearing people complaining about the accent.

You would think thats true but where I went to school everyone hated on them accents but the ROCK books made slagging "roysh" popular. In school we would slag the way they say "Dalkey" and "Talk" and "All".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    seriously I met a chick from cork last week and it has spread to those people too. Every sentence was a question? Omg I'm from Cork? How long are you down here for? She sounded like an American and it was put on... Is it common in cork too?

True, I have heard this in culchies. But I hate that bloody D4 accent, does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jU0ZhKHTUo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ah ya cant bate a good ol Templeogue accent * sniff *

Nearly as good as a Dub 4 accent but only nearly says ol mr brennen * sniff *

I hate Mr Brennan, he sounds like he's retarded or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

<
    the working mans accent
    the "D4"---->

qft. nicely rounded up

Is mr brennen still doing the rounds ? jazus what a coffin dodger ,well i dont know * sniff, ......mutter mutter mutter *

what accent does a dub 4 person get it he/she moves to NYC ? do they end up talking like shirly and leverne ? (80s sit com ) :D

He use to ... er he works fro RTE doesn ....eh didn't he ?

Whats a Templeogue accent? My cousins live there its not d4 :S. Full of old people.

Whats a Templeogue accent? My cousins live there its not d4 :S. Full of old people.

Templeogue accent is quite pleasent. Mind you i havent being over that way for yonks ,but they drag their words out like icecream about to drip slowly from it's cone .Think of larry gogan ;)

night night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Is their attitude that annoys me more than their accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Templeogue has loads of wannabe mad yokes.

The "D4" accent doesn't annoy me. No accents do, but to be totally honest if I heard a traveller accent or innercity accent I'd be on my gaurd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

While the D4 accent is typically Irish, and its name is a misnomer its now country wide its not entirely an Irish phenomenon. Its the product of years of exported american entertainment unleashed on young people who just copy what they see and hear. What I find most unpleasant is the homogenisation that is occuring. Soon people all over the world will start to sound the same. The blandness will be awful.

j1smithy wrote: »
    Its the product of years of exported american entertainment unleashed on young people who just copy what they see and hear. What I find most unpleasant is the homogenisation that is occuring. Soon people all over the world will start to sound the same. The blandness will be awful.
    It's certainly having an effect. I think years of Nickelodeon is influencing todays youth. My sister speaks like she's American and I've seen a massive increase in US English pronunciations among the domestic population in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Only people who have spent time in Dublin, went to Trinity or UCD (I hope!). I remember when I was back in secondary school I met somebody who travelled up to Dublin and interacted with D4heads quite a lot. His accent began to change and he referred to where he was living as "C4". He lived in Ballincollig.
    Twat.

i don't think she lived in Dublin because she was giving me stick for being from Dublin. Seriously you culchies need to get over the Dublin thing, I've had people ignore me etc. for being from Dublin, it's just an accent ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

latchyco wrote: »
    Is mr brennen still doing the rounds ? jazus what a coffin dodger

:eek: On the day Seamus Brennan dies. Nice timing lads.

Oh and btw it's not Mr. Brennan on the ad. It's his assistant/Smithers/Meara e.g. "Says I to ol' Mr. Brennan"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Sadly I must confess it's not always put on. Sometimes it's natural. And I never even ****ing liked watching Nickelodeon as a kid. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Really depends what people say, not how the sound saying it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Im Irish but ive been living over in America for quite a while now and hangout with a lot of americans.does this mean when i got home im going to be classified as a D4? Before i moved out here i had a well spoken accent.From the midlands but never had a thick accent at all. Does my possible natural american twang move me into another accent bracket?

Advertisement