Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D4 accent - does it bother you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I've heard worse!
    Was in Costigans one night with a mate from Ballsbridge and i asked what she wanted and she replied a pint of 'Barbs'.. I looked at her blanky and she explained: Heineken > Heino > Ken > Ken & Barbie > Barbs....

I was just glad she didnt go to the bar and ask for that herself.

She clearly wanted a pint laced with barbiturates but when you didn't pass the test and recognise that's what she meant, she obviously thought you were a nark.

And if a lady ever asks you to get her a pint of Pils, she means Rohypnol pills. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

I've heard worse!
    Was in Costigans one night with a mate from Ballsbridge and i asked what she wanted and she replied a pint of 'Barbs'.. I looked at her blanky and she explained: Heineken > Heino > Ken > Ken & Barbie > Barbs....

She must have been a blow-in.No true blue, self-respecting Ballsbridge belle would be seen dead drinking a pint of heineken....most unladylike :eek:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

No, no its not. A Templeouge accent is a very bland slightly posh well spoken way of speaking the English language. And when I was there, every sentence was not posed as a question. From what I have seen recently its still the same.

I'd be inclined to agree although im slightly biased (being from Templeogue), as with all areas i would suspect, you do still get a fair share of 'nacker' accents a lot of which is over emphasied / put on.

I would say the accent is simlar to alot of its surrounding areas... Terenure Rathgar, Walkinstown, Rathfarnham, knoklyon etc etc

Althought yo do hear a fair share of 'OMG' etc etc type cr*p.

FYI templeogue is D6 / D6W

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's the strangulation of the language that does it for me. Now accents I like. they're good. They're like a fossil record of who you are and where you come from.

The archetypal "D4" accent is too false. That's the problem I have with it.

It's the bastard child of mid atlantic Americanism which is uncomfortably close to DJ speak, mixed with strangled elocution lessons where the fear of showing where they're actually from is masked.

The classic one is the word "height". There is NO "H" at the end of that word. It's not heightH. Width yes Height, no. They're so afraid of dropping H's like the "common" people they add one where none exists. There are other examples of that too. It really shows it origins of people masking who they really are.

I went out on a few dates with a woman, otherwise cool, afflicted with the early version of this speech pattern. Meeting her parents was a shock. Both spoke with very strong Cork accents(nice ones too), but the mother was trying to reduce hers to the point of farce. Marbles in the mouth strangling her origins. I know which one I'd prefer(and this is speaking as a dub.;))

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's horrible, a lot of accents in dublin are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

It's horrible, a lot of accents in dublin are.

just the way i feel about all those country ones....;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Me too, luckily I don't have either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tis pure mid atlantic! :D

No accent really, or so I'm told. From nowhere.I was found at sea :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Mr.S wrote: »
    the knacker dublin accent is far far far worse.

i dont really mind the d4 accent, i mean its fun to laugh at so everyone wins.

The D4 accent is worse than the "knacker" dub accent tbh.
    If only for the fact that it's impossible not to feel there's a terrible "self-conscious OC-aping" thing going on with the D4 shoite.
    You don't get that feeling as much when you hear the knacker dub accent.
    Atleast it sounds kinda honest.

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's the strangulation of the language that does it for me. Now accents I like. they're good. They're like a fossil record of who you are and where you come from.

The archetypal "D4" accent is too false. That's the problem I have with it.

It's the bastard child of mid atlantic Americanism which is uncomfortably close to DJ speak, mixed with strangled elocution lessons where the fear of showing where they're actually from is masked.

The classic one is the word "height". There is NO "H" at the end of that word. It's not heightH. Width yes Height, no. They're so afraid of dropping H's like the "common" people they add one where none exists. There are other examples of that too. It really shows it origins of people masking who they really are.

I went out on a few dates with a woman, otherwise cool, afflicted with the early version of this speech pattern. Meeting her parents was a shock. Both spoke with very strong Cork accents(nice ones too), but the mother was trying to reduce hers to the point of farce. Marbles in the mouth strangling her origins. I know which one I'd prefer(and this is speaking as a dub.;))

Not a bad description. Mid-Atlantic/ American influence +elocution+ insecurity=D4 shoite.

"Masking" pretty much sums it up imo.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Only people who have spent time in Dublin, went to Trinity or UCD (I hope!). I remember when I was back in secondary school I met somebody who travelled up to Dublin and interacted with D4heads quite a lot. His accent began to change and he referred to where he was living as "C4". He lived in Ballincollig.
    Twat.

Places like Ballincollig have that "Ryndabyte" thing going on as well.
    In fact that "Ryndabyte" accent is quite common around the country (girls do it more than guys it would seem).
    The Ryndabyte accent is a bit different to the fully-fledged D4 thing though imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tumbleweeds

Ha, long time reader, have only posted once or twice but some of the replies to this thread were great so wanted to put in my two cent(s)!

Last year I was giving grinds to a young 'D4'-lovely girl, though her, err, melodious words did grate occasionally-anyhow one evening she texted me to say she couldn't make it. She used the word 'loike' about three times and, what's more, spelled it that way too...surely a portent on a par with asking for 'Barbs'

I was convinced she was joking, but apparently not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've heard worse!

I presume she got the living sh1t kicked out of her...? Costigans is not a place where that kind of crap would be tolerated.

LOL at someone from Ballincollig thinking they're from a posh area...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 AnMoralltach

so every single person living within this bubble has a contrived accent?Can somebody tell me please how somebody born and bred in Dalkey would talk if they were not "faking it" with their contrived accents?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I've heard worse!

What a stupid bint. ARGH!! I hate all those retards. Roll on recession. In a big steam roller and mow those fukrs down. :mad:

Your accent sucks, yes, You! The reader of this post, how I loathe you, how the bile rises in my throat on the sight, hearing or even the mere imagination of you. Look at you there, trying to be “cool” or “hip” or “bangin'” or whatever it is you're calling it these days, in a vain attempt to be impressive, with your slang and your lingo, coming as you do from some sort of socio-economic background. That's your problem, you know that? You're too damned whatever socio-economic demographic you are, you need to be more socio-economic demographic that you're not! That'd show you, you smug little whatever it is you are. Also, I find your level of education distasteful, being either lower, higher, or possibly even equal to mine! People like you/us never appreciate what it's like for people like us/you.

If I had my way I'd have all of us shot.

Your sarcasm kinda missed the point.
    It's not so much about disliking another socioeconomic group's accent.

It's more about disliking the singular falseness of it- something that you don't get with other Irish accents.

Falseness merits dislike tbh.
    Accents by themselves don't merit it as much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Even reading about the D4 accent has me feeling a bit "off". Sorry havn't the stomach to read the entire thread so hopefully not repeatin some earlier observations.

The archetypal D4 accent is that O'Callaghan bint on prime time....even more exagerated when she tries to be flirty on her Sat night show..suggest it comes from a small number of schools in that area Mt Anville,Loreto,Wesley etc.

Oh Dear oh dear !.....where did we get them......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

so every single person living within this bubble has a contrived accent?Can somebody tell me please how somebody born and bred in Dalkey would talk if they were not "faking it" with their contrived accents?
    Well it was a contrived accent. Now the second generation make it their own. Indeed escalate it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 AnMoralltach

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well it was a contrived accent. Now the second generation make it their own. Indeed escalate it.

WAS..Now it aint im afraid.This is their accent and for the larger part can do nothing about it.If you are brought up in an upper class soutshide area this is how you will speak.Not by choice.To call somebody a twat because they speak in an accent that comes naturally to them is extremely ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

WAS..Now it aint im afraid.This is their accent and for the larger part can do nothing about it.If you are brought up in an upper class soutshide area this is how you will speak.Not by choice.To call somebody a twat because they speak in an accent that comes naturally to them is extremely ignorant.

I agree with this totally, for the curent generation this accent is completely natural and not contrived in the slightest.

And as for people disliking the slang, I think knacks who speak like they're from Compton are as bad if not worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Laura Appleby

I totally hate those begorrah bogger accents that so many muckers have. when I hear them with their GAA jerseys up at the matches I literally actualy want to like throw up. Its so gross. and the way they say FAAAAAAAAAAAAther. Truely AWFUL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I totally hate those begorrah bogger accents that so many muckers have. when I hear them with their GAA jerseys up at the matches I literally actualy want to like throw up. Its so gross. and the way they say FAAAAAAAAAAAAther. Truely AWFUL!
    well theres a shock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I don't consider the d4 accent to be an irish accent.

It isnt really is it guys?

Whatever the people speak is the accent of the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

the way they say FAAAAAAAAAAAAther.

hilarious but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Laura Appleby

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I don't consider the d4 accent to be an irish accent.

It isnt really is it guys?

Whether you 'consider' it or not it actually is. Stop making it this big like deep philosophical issue. D4 is in Ireland and People there have accents. 2 facts my lovely fact fans XXX

Ignorant would be the case if one was uninformed as to the background to a speech pattern of a particular group. So while I may be dismissive of the original ethos behind said pattern I would be largely free of the ignorance tag.

In any event I count as friends many who've been born and brought up in such an "upper class" Dublin environment and they don't have the convoluted exaggerations of the extreme D4 accent. In any case technically they would be upper middle class as outside of an ascendancy background we don't have an upper class.

I don't have great issue with the current crop, merely the falsity behind their parents generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, I think some people exaggerate it. Particularly girls. There's 2 types of Southside accent. The more natural accent, which comes from where you grow up, and not exactly something you can help, and then the "Oh my gawd" accent, which is totally put on, which you rarely find anyone over 25 speaking like.

I went to school in D4, and most people were the former, or a slightly more traditional Dublin accent, there were only a handful of people with the latter. Problem is they tended to be the loudest.

Advertisement