Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D4 accent - does it bother you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Dudess wrote: »
    And she doesn't use all that "Tobler", "Heino" slang.

''Heino''; pfffff Vitamin H my dear, Vitamin H ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭anonymousman

latchyco wrote: »
    Templeogue accent is quite pleasent. Mind you i havent being over that way for yonks ,but they drag their words out like icecream about to drip slowly from it's cone .Think of larry gogan ;)

night night

Is this some joke? Its gone way over my head. I'm from """DNS""" but I always thought it was some small leafy suburb with its own special postcode (6w?) not a place with its own distinct accent :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

javaboy wrote: »
    :eek: On the day Seamus Brennan dies. Nice timing lads.

Actually that is pure coincidental and was thinking of the ol bread add on radio (i recall by bill
    or other ) . I had posted my respects in his thread but you are right to point it out and no dis respect was due on my part

Oh and btw it's not Mr. Brennan on the ad. It's his assistant/Smithers/Meara e.g. "Says I to ol' Mr. Brennan"

i remember the original which went ' todays bread ....today
    Is this some joke? Its gone way over my head. I'm from """DNS""" but I always thought it was some small leafy suburb with its own special postcode (6w?) not a place with its own distinct accent :S

Yeah it's a joke

Actually might be intresting to take a bunch of say fifty 27 year olds men/women from various parts of dublin ,for instance say Fingals Cabra Malahide ,Coolock , Phibsboro Ballyfermot Drimmnagh ,Crumlin , Ringsend Rathfarnham ,Dalky D 4 ,Tempolouge etc ,a right ol mixture ,stick em all in a large room for a day to discuss any and everything ,record it and see what happens .Imagine it would be Hilarious :)

The again if you listen to daytime rte radio phone in programme , you will hear every dublin /irish accent under the sun .So many variations for such a small country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Actually might be intresting to take a bunch of say fifty 27 year olds men/women from various parts of dublin ,for instance say Fingals Cabra Malahide ,Coolock , Phibsboro Ballyfermot Drimmnagh ,Crumlin , Ringsend Rathfarnham ,Dalky D 4 ,Tempolouge etc ,a right ol mixture ,stick em all in a large room for a day to discuss any and everything ,record it and see what happens .Imagine it would be Hilarious :)
    Just go to an Ireland away match and you'll find out. ;)

I went to Marian College on Lansdowne Road and the poshest accents there were all from Killiney, Dun Laoghaire, Blackrock, etc. I doubt many of the teachers from that school ever thought in more disruptive classes. It's funny because if you're from the Pearse st area (D2) or the Ringsend area (D4) Marian college would have been regarded as a posh school to those that went to other public schools.

• Advertisement

Yeah and i went to a de la salle school on southside followed by technical college and anybody from those areas Killiney, Dun Laoghaire, Blackrock, etc would be considered posh, and the accents would be different indeed .A disruptive bunch indeed i can imagine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Marian college has to be the only public boys school in D4, I'd hardly call it posh now :p

I think it has a reputation for being a bit rough compared to a lot of the nearby schools (who in fairness have their fair share of pansies), but that said some of the nicest, funnest guys I've met have been from Marian, and they know how to party too!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I hate the really strong put-on D4 accent, but some people do just speak with a bit of a D4 accent! I just laugh inside and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Whether you 'consider' it or not it actually is. Stop making it this big like deep philosophical issue. D4 is in Ireland and People there have accents. 2 facts my lovely fact fans XXX

The D4 accent is not an Irish accent.

FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    The D4 accent is not an Irish accent.

FACT.

This sums it up perfectly!!!

• Advertisement

Living in UK many years i am happy when Non - irish people say ' ah your from Dublin ' as opposed to ' ah your from ireland '?? .

Some couldent tell the difference between a cork/kerry/dublin accent anyway

I tell them it's my south county dublin accent and tells me i havent lost it :)

maybe some put on the Dub 4 accent just to annoy and wind others up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

You see the thing is it's not so much the accent itself rather the pretentious connotations associated with it. If people are born and raised in a specific area then of course they will be influenced by their surroundings, hence people develop accents. However it is when people affect or exaggerate an accent to the point of artificiality that it becomes unbearable to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

One could say the same thing about Cork People hamming it up to make the point they're from Cork. Doesn't make it less of an Irish accent but it's still annoying.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Yeah and i went to a de la salle school on southside followed by technical college and anybody from those areas Killiney, Dun Laoghaire, Blackrock, etc would be considered posh, and the accents would be different indeed .A disruptive bunch indeed i can imagine ;)

I come from killiney and Speak correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

The real D4 accent, is a Dublin accent, with everything pronounced correctly.

This over exaggerated, cross between, as someone said transatlantic inflection and an Oxford preppy, gets right on my tits.

It's funny though, it manifested in the last ten years or so.

I think the real reason why it bothers me is that there is a fakeness about it. Immediately if I meet someone with that type of accent, most especially if they are from Kildare I don't trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

/facepalm

So you speak with a killiney accent .I threw a pebble from killiney beach into sea once

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Fairly annoying alright, but I wouldn't have any wild strangling urges. Except with the overuse of the word 'banter', I don't know what it is about that word, but in a d4 accent..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Stephen90

Reminds me of the Tommy Tiernan sketch...

'So I drove from Dublin over to Galway the other day... and I tell you I floored it. I floored it Fintan I ****in floored it... 11 seconds, it took me 11 seconds'

The most annoying / amusing thing is when you get stuck on a bus, 46A being my experience, headin into town from Dun Laoghaire about 9pm...

'I am going to be sooooo loike hammered tonight... me and Tiernan just had 3 cans each loike'

Gets right on my tits but at the same time it's ****in hilarious!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Why are old Irish names like Tiernan, Fiachra, Odhran, Naoise etc. associated with posh Dubs? Did some kind of gaelic revolution happen among the better-off 20-odd years ago or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I don't really understand why people get so worked up the way other people talk.

''It does my head in the D4 accent does'' ''argh I cannot stand it'' etc.

What is the big deal? All you people criticising, i.e. passing judgment, look in the mirror and check yourselves out (naked, preferably, with some sort of lubricant mmmm . . . .)

People talk the way they talk and may feign accents or overuse particular words for whatever reason they choose. But to criticise the weaknesses and insecurities of others in order for you to feel better about yourself pffff I say pfffff pfffff pfffff pfffff I love typing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Haven't read through everything so this may have already been said. The stereotypical D4 accent is a fabrication. Accents can be traced linguistically back through time and the different influences which made them what they are today. However, the D4 accent was created by culchies who moved up to Dublin back in the 1950s and 1960s and who wanted to create a different identity and distance themselves from their rural roots. It was most prevalent in areas that were built then and moved into by these people such as Foxrock, Blackrock, Stillorgan etc. What we have today is the child of that accent with the influence of The OC and Friends playing a part also in terms of inflection and lingo used. The actual accent? A fabrication by wannabes.

Before people start, I would have a slight touch of the accent myself. Can't help it. I don't use the ridiculous terminology but there's not a lot I can do about my accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I absolutely hate the D4 accent - not so much on people over 30+ because they've normally not got the ridiculous 'The Real OC' style lingo.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Why are old Irish names like Tiernan, Fiachra, Odhran, Naoise etc. associated with posh Dubs? Did some kind of gaelic revolution happen among the better-off 20-odd years ago or something?

I don't know but when I'm imitating the accent I always have 2 characters - Lorcan and Fiachra.

This is down to one time in Burger King with a few mates in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and there were a bunch of loud guys/girls spouting some ridiculous lingo. Just so happened that Lorcan and Fiachra were discussing how.. like.. storved.. they were. Guys all with highlighted hair and pink polo t-shirts.

It was like they were from a different country or something, and they were trying to show how upperclass they were to the Blanch people.

The only thing that comes close to the annoyance levels of the fake D4 accent, is the people who put on a fake skanger accent when they don't live in Dublin.
    I'm from and live in Kildare but I have a fairly flat accent with a little bit of a Dublin and less so, Meath, influence. Drives me mad hearing people with mad skanger accents who have no influences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I hate the D4 accent. It's fake and contrived. But not as annoying as europeans who speak english with ghetto american slang.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What I really hate are those little D4 montessori kids with their bleedin hoity accents "Mommy, mommy, whyoi is that man howlding a cup out Mommy?"

They're all called primrose and georgie and cack like that because their parents are wankstains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

The accent itself isnt too bad, far better than the culchie accents you come across from those strange counties outside of the pale...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

cance wrote: »
    The accent itself isnt too bad, far better than the culchie accents you come across from those strange counties outside of the pale...

Hey Ma, look at that pointy hairded little girl.... heuck heuck....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I met a girl once who was from America originally but then she moved to D4... I didn't realise she was american until she told me and she fitted in perfectly. While I dont like the 'Ded-leeeee' accent the d4 sounds more contrived.

What happened to the mid alantic accent .Do they all live out in D 4 to ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

I don't like the accent that much, but it only annoys me when the person is irritating- all those d4s with the uggs and the arrogance *shudders*.
    I really REALLY dislike people who pretend to be d4, and try to put on the accent. A fake accent is a hundred times worse than the real thing.

xxx

Advertisement