Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D4 accent - does it bother you?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markytowny94

i heard on the radio that if you hear anyone with a d4 accent they ave to be putting it on. because dialects develop over hundreds of years. 20 years ago the d4 accent did not exist. it could not have developed that fast, therefore they have to be putting it on because they are not comfortable with how they look sound or appear and are very insecure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

i heard on the radio that if you hear anyone with a d4 accent they ave to be putting it on. because dialects develop over hundreds of years. 20 years ago the d4 accent did not exist. it could not have developed that fast, therefore they have to be putting it on because they are not comfortable with how they look sound or appear and are very insecure.

People don't live for hundreds of years. They live for about 80. How do individual Australians get their Australian accent? By growing up surrounded by people who speak with that accent. That's how.

The D4 accent has been around long enough for people to have spent quite a bit of their formative years talking with it. So while the first people to speak using it might have been faking it, there are definitely people out there who are not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Loik I totally disagree. The D4 accent is totally superior to all your pleb accents. My daddy says that anyone who makes fun of my accent is like totally poor anyway so they are all just jealous of my expensive doobs and signed Irish rugby shirts.

Shame on you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Loik I totally disagree. The D4 accent is totally superior to all your pleb accents. My daddy says that anyone who makes fun of my accent is like totally poor anyway so they are all just jealous of my expensive doobs and signed Irish rugby shirts.

Shame on you all!

rugby->rugger

You nearly had me fooled until you got that wrong. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 D4FORLOiiFE

Omg Loike Totally Loivee Thee D4 Acciont :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Omg Loike Totally Loivee Thee D4 Acciont :D

If only you showed the same amount of love for correct spelling :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 HercHauk

The worst is the Anarchist D4 Head with there stuck up toff accents. It Makes no Sense......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Yes, it bothers me a lot. It is fake and not native to anywhere in Ireland. Where it came from? TV I guess... an attempt at "I am holier than thou". Horrible noise altogether.

Speaking with a neutral accent is fine with me. The D4 accent trys to make the speaker seem better than all around them. Some are worse than others, some try harder to seem "better". It's a load of crap.

Best accent ever is the Ronnie Drew type. My grandparents and a lot of their generation speak like this, true dublin accent. Oh and they are from Foxrock...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

eeek... people often mistake me for having a D4 accent ... scary cos I'm from the country!! Thing is, I think my accent is more neutral than D4 because I've been living away from home since I was 10 or so... I've always been around people from diff parts of the world but never picked up a definite accent...

so sorry for having a D4 type accent :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

so sorry for having a D4 type accent :mad:
    you should be :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

you should be :pac:

didn't take you long to fire abuse!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

didn't take you long to fire abuse!!!! :mad:
    It never does :D
    *runs back off into night to wait for next oppertunity*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

It's rather annoying I find.
    Me and my friends sometimes pretend we're from D4...my name is Dervla, and my two friends are Tadgh and Fintan.

Also, 'The Clinic'...my god, the accent makes it seem all so dismal and depressing...i watched it once...never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

The dulcet tones of sweet D4 are infinity nicer than the vile gibbering and sqwauking that passes for speech in the rest of this country. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I love the idiots who would take ANYTHING to have a swipe at southsiders (who are all D4 heads apperantly) or anybody they percieve to have money or have it easy. (also apperantly rich people never went out and worked fu*king hard for what they have and have earned every penny instead of being lazy or stupid - the money was just there and by the grace of god, made them a target cause they think they're better than everyone...)

I'd take a couple of young teenage girls talking with a slightly annoying accent who goes on to become a respectable person with a good job rather than the 14 year old mother of 2 scumbag who smashes up busstops while her "fella" is in the back of the squad car for burning out a car. Both primed for living off this D4 girls tax with prison bills and dole money.

Do I mind the accent? Not really. I more judge people on the content of their character and what they add to the place. Going on past experience, it's the fu*king scum who can barely speak english ,but are a bit of craic (when not smashing a bottle over your head) that you should be talking about. ;) next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I've no problem with accents in general, or the D4 one in particular, but I do dislike the language/slang that's used to identify with D4.

Tobler/Heino etc, its all just irritating, not worth being upset about.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I don't mind the accent or the slang. I think most of the rhyming slang is supposed to be ironic anyway. Even then, I don't mind rhyming slang. It's colourful and amusing.

The behaviour on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I know four people from Clonmel and each one has a worse fake D4 accent than the true one. If it's genuinely your accent so be it, in too many people it's affected though. And irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I was reading through this thread, wondering wtf "Heino" was, so I googled it. He's a German pop singer.

http://www.heino.de

Then I discovered it meant Heineken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Neesa wrote: »
    I was reading through this thread, wondering wtf "Heino" was, so I googled it. He's a German pop singer.

http://www.heino.de

Then I discovered it meant Heineken.

n00b!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

I had to come here to understand any of you.:)

BlowIn STFU ......ok a posted the reply for ya:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

well, im from carlow but living in dublin most of the time now. ballyfermot. i find the accents pretty tolerable up here. havent heard much in the lines of pretentiousness anyway! having said that, a friend of mine who is also from carlow appears to have picked up some lingo which ive heard him use from time to time. i speak with a slight carlow accent but have clear diction. when i get excited though, i descend into boggery madness. im not ashamed of my accent, and feel no urge to hide it from my new dublin friends, since after all, even if they do slag me off, well, im not actually FROM dublin, so i think i win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I've no problem with accents in general, or the D4 one in particular, but I do dislike the language/slang that's used to identify with D4.

Tobler/Heino etc, its all just irritating, not worth being upset about.
    If I was to compare the d4 accent with say an American one then it would probably be the southern californian one .i am not quite sure myself why that is ,maybe with living on the southside and hearing it being called a mid atlantic accent ( whatever that is ) lol .But I have no problem with the accent ,it's the person that counts .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 zach morris

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    It's rather annoying I find.
    Me and my friends sometimes pretend we're from D4...my name is Dervla, and my two friends are Tadgh and Fintan.

omg so funny x !

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Speaking as someone who finds muttered, rapid or otherwise garbled speech to be very difficult to comprehend - I have a major reason to actually like (or should that be loike :D) the D4 accent. Of all the Irish accents, I find it the easiest to comprehend (with the exception of the old-school Dublin middle-class accent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭IHATELIBERTAS

seems to be an example of americanisation. terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Melange wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who finds muttered, rapid or otherwise garbled speech to be very difficult to comprehend - I have a major reason to actually like (or should that be loike :D) the D4 accent. Of all the Irish accents, I find it the easiest to comprehend (with the exception of the old-school Dublin middle-class accent).

Well it is put on and very fake. There are other accents that are easier to understand than the D4 holier than though accents, like a good auld neutral one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭IHATELIBERTAS

best accent is ireland goalkeeper shay givens accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Well it is put on and very fake. There are other accents that are easier to understand than the D4 holier than though accents, like a good auld neutral one...

Hmmm. Perhaps what I meant was that the D4 accent was the most understandable of the distinctive accents of Ireland - a neutral accent is more about the lack of a strong accent than an accent in and of itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

It tohly lyk, makes me sick lyk

Advertisement