Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Christians get the problems people have with their religion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I think the absence of an answer speaks volumes!!!
    While some of us undoubtedly spend too much of our time on these boards, I hardly think it is reasonable to demand a response from Christians within 3 hours & 46 minutes to a question (a question that requires more than a one line answer) that is posted in the Atheist & Agnostic forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

kelly1 wrote: »
    It's interesting that you are interested in my inner workings :)

I'm partly motivated by pride i.e. in winning debates but I'm more motivated by the importance of bringing Christ to those who don't believe in Him and don't really understand what He's about. I am saddened by the fact that people don't understand God's limitless goodness. I am frustrated by the fact that I can't adequately communicate the beauty of God's plan for us. It is also regrettable that many here find my beliefs laughable and put my faith down to nothing more than delusion.

I'm in the difficult position that I've discovered something very beautiful and when I try to convey this, it's usually met with disbelief, mistrust and ridicule. Most people for example don't see the value of holiness, or virginity or chastity and giving up worldly pleasure for the sake of God. Most don't see the value of "taking up ones cross" in order to be a disciple of Christ. I really just think people are blind to God way's and I think this is the greatest of tragedies. People will try to seek happiness in anything but God e.g. drink, drugs, sex, money etc but none of these things bring lasting happiness and often end up in suffering when disillusionment sets in or our excesses catch up with us.

Catholicism in particular can be very difficult to defend. There is a huge amount of misunderstanding about the Church propagated by those who are ignorant or openly hostile towards the Church. The Church has no shortage of enemies and you have to wonder why sometimes why it is persecuted so much. Yes, the Church has scored lots of "own goals" but I still believe that it was founded by Christ and will continue to grow in holiness until the Church becomes ready to be the "bride of Christ" as told in Revelation.

Is there anything in particular about my psychology that you can't fathom?
    I understand that, but in fairness if you took 100 people who shared your views how many of them would spend so much time in this forum?

I cannot put my finger on why exactly you are here. I think you know you won't convert anyone, are you trying to play out an argument that is in your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Most people for example don't see the value of holiness, or virginity or chastity and giving up worldly pleasure for the sake of God. Most don't see the value of "taking up ones cross" in order to be a disciple of Christ. I really just think people are blind to God way's and I think this is the greatest of tragedies. People will try to seek happiness in anything but God e.g. drink, drugs, sex, money etc but none of these things bring lasting happiness and often end up in suffering when disillusionment sets in or our excesses catch up with us.

It’s this self righteous dogma that put people off Christians and their cloak of morality. Maybe this is one of the greatest tragedies too!
    I was on the Christian forum and felt I could write freely and was clearly told by Kelly1 that I was a devil worshiper because I disagreed and that it was a Christian forum and to get off??? I’ve never returned as it’s a forum that does not allow debate unless you’re a believer! Now you’re on this forum you’ve changed your tune, up on your pulpit preaching to the great unwashed. I find a problem with that!

I welcome your debate with open arms and would fight for your right to express you opinion openly, even if I disagreed 100% with you.

You’re alternative to not believing in god, is all we’re left with is drink, drugs, sex, money etc!!!?? There’s more to life then the latter! It’s not one or the other? Either/Or you believe in MY religion or you’ll end up in some ghetto selling your body for money, so you can acquire as much drugs that your system can take till you die…

I have always believed that at least I know what I don’t believe in rather then blindly believe in something I don’t understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

vibe666 wrote: »
    okay, so people are willing to accept genocide when it is performed by their god because even if they don't understand the reasons for it, they know he is good and just and that he had his reasons. okay, so that was a few thousand years ago before the re-write, fair enough.

the one thing above everything else that always gets me is that god can do anything he wants, he's everywhere at all times and nothing gets by him. so why does he let his 'agents' on this earth (i.e. priests etc.) sexually abuse young children?

I'm delighted for the person earlier in the thread because god had time to 'touch' him/her and make their life better and more reqarding for them but appalled that they believe god has time to make them feel better about their existence but can't spare the time to stop innocent childrens lives being ruined by the very people who are supposed to be spreading his message.

I just can't believe in any god who would allow that to happen and refuse to accept that if he existed that there can be any justification at all ever under any circumstances for him letting such things go on.

please someone out there who has faith explain to me how your god would let this happen? i really want to understand how you could possibly have even an ounce of faith in such a god as this. if you can give me a valid argument based on anything other than blind faith I'll pick up a bible today and read it cover to cover and spend some time in church finiding out a lot more about your religion.

I believe that God has created us with the capacity for free will. We can choose to do good things or evil things. Either way, our actions have consequences. What you appear to be asking is why God didn't create things so that we would be automatically cushioned from the evil consequences of others. Imagine how that would work:

An idiot gets drunk and then takes a car out onto the road. He takes a corner too fast and skids towards the bus stop where an innocent bystander is waiting. So God transforms the car into cotton wool so that the bystander doesn't get hurt.

A girl decides to shoplift from Tesco, but God induces a temporary paralysis of her fingers so that she drops the stolen items before making it out of the store.

A kid tries to slap another kid across the face in the playground. So God inserts a magic force field to prevent the second kid from getting slapped.

Now, maybe you respond to those scenarios by asking 'Why not?' If God is omnipotent then why can't he work such a miracle every time someone is about to suffer the consequences of someone else's actions? The problem is that people exercise their free will so often in the wrong ways that such a world would become totally irrational, with the laws of nature being suspended so often that everything would be random and unpredictable.

Now, I do believe that miracles can occur as rare events. But there has to be a balance. If miracles occurred too often then, ultimately, free will would cease to exist or to have any meaning. In that case we cease to be human beings and become automatons - incapable of freely choosing to love.

Now, philosophically and looking at the big picture, this all makes sense to me. Would it provide any comfort to a child who has been abused? Absolutely not.

Child abuse is a horrific reality, and I would never see anyone who indulges in it as an agent of God. They are selfish people who are gratifying their own twisted fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

It's interesting that you are interested in my inner workings :)

I'm partly motivated by pride i.e. in winning debates but I'm more motivated by the importance of bringing Christ to those who don't believe in Him and don't really understand what He's about.....

Why should you care? Its none of your business what I or anyone else chooses to believe unless they ask you to or then we wouldn't have these forums. Unless you feel insecure about isolating nature of your religious ways. Are you insecure? Btw I don't think anybody looks for happiness in drugs, sex, rock and roll etc. I know I certainly don't. Your belief in God is just that a belief and something personal to you, unless you can prove otherwise which you haven't yet to me anyway. WRT the OP Christianity has it easy.

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    While some of us undoubtedly spend too much of our time on these boards, I hardly think it is reasonable to demand a response from Christians within 3 hours & 46 minutes to a question (a question that requires more than a one line answer) that is posted in the Atheist & Agnostic forum.

No there just isn't a suitable answer except rhetoric and waffle coming from an honest attempt to explain ones consciousness of existence.

I believe that God has created us with the capacity for free will. We can choose to do good things or evil things. Either way, our actions have consequences. What you appear to be asking is why God didn't create things so that we would be automatically cushioned from the evil consequences of others. Imagine how that would work:

An idiot gets drunk and then takes a car out onto the road. He takes a corner too fast and skids towards the bus stop where an innocent bystander is waiting. So God transforms the car into cotton wool so that the bystander doesn't get hurt.

A girl decides to shoplift from Tesco, but God induces a temporary paralysis of her fingers so that she drops the stolen items before making it out of the store.

A kid tries to slap another kid across the face in the playground. So God inserts a magic force field to prevent the second kid from getting slapped.

Now, maybe you respond to those scenarios by asking 'Why not?' If God is omnipotent then why can't he work such a miracle every time someone is about to suffer the consequences of someone else's actions? The problem is that people exercise their free will so often in the wrong ways that such a world would become totally irrational, with the laws of nature being suspended so often that everything would be random and unpredictable.

Now, I do believe that miracles can occur as rare events. But there has to be a balance. If miracles occurred too often then, ultimately, free will would cease to exist or to have any meaning. In that case we cease to be human beings and become automatons - incapable of freely choosing to love.

Now, philosophically and looking at the big picture, this all makes sense to me. Would it provide any comfort to a child who has been abused? Absolutely not.

Child abuse is a horrific reality, and I would never see anyone who indulges in it as an agent of God. They are selfish people who are gratifying their own twisted fantasies.

You are completly ignoring things have nothing to do with human action. Kids getting cancer, why does that happen?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Before shooting down Kelly1 about his motives for being here, I might remind you all of the vocal presence of many heathens in the Christianity forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Why should you care? Its none of your business what I or anyone else chooses to believe unless they ask you to or then we wouldn't have these forums. Unless you feel insecure about isolating nature of your religious ways. Are you insecure? Btw I don't think anybody looks for happiness in drugs, sex, rock and roll etc. I know I certainly don't. Your belief in God is just that a belief and something personal to you, unless you can prove otherwise which you haven't yet to me anyway.
    I also live in the hope that someday you'll post something pleasant instead of your usual bitter words.
    Why do you post in the Christianity forum? All I've seen from you is attacks. :(

I also live in the hope that someday you'll post something pleasant instead of your usual bitter words.
    Why do you post in the Christianity forum? All I've seen from you is attacks. :(

Because I aspire to a world wide secular culture. Did you ever perhaps think your posts may be subjective and offensive to some? They offend me because they are concerned only with imposing your beliefs on people who have long since woken up from religious delusion. I don't have to say anything nice because as far as I am concerned you don't say anything nice either.

rant over.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Before shooting down Kelly1 about his motives for being here, I might remind you all of the vocal presence of many heathens in the Christianity forum.

Quite the contrary!!
    I welcomed the debate it’s just a pity it’s not a two way street!
    It was the unwillingness to br listened to, in the Christian forum that baffled me! :)
    Heathens?! Interesting choice of word?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I believe God's primary concern for us is our salvation.

Well firstly why do you believe that (you seem to be routinely justifying one leap of faith with another leap of faith, which makes these conversations go around in circles).

Secondly do you think that rules out a bad god, or requires that god can only do good?
    So God punishes this person so that they come to their sense and realize that they're on the road to destruction.
    I'm not quite sure that applies to the events in the Old Testament. In the old testament it is more a case of curing the disease by killing the patient. If the people of Jericho or Ai were "on the road to destruction" destroying them would appear to cause the very thing you say God would want to prevent.
    As a general point, if we had very little suffering and difficulties in this life, we wouldn't have much reason to turn to God. We would be living in an earthly paradise but without recourse to our Creator and this would lead to damnation.
    We are getting slightly off topic, but that only leads to damnation because God says it does. It could just as easily not lead to damnation. Damnation, from the damnation of Adam onwards, is Gods decision.
    In the O/T, some people were killed outright and some were punished depending on the extent of their wickedness and their willingness to repent.
    that isn't true Kelly. The Bible doesn't describe these people as either unwilling to repent or given the option to. It describes them as being wicked but not that they were even aware of the Hebrew god.

Besides infants can't repent for anything.
    Maybe I did. Having said that, I want to understand why God does the things He does from His perspective and not judge God according to my very limited wisdom, knowledge and understanding.
    But Kelly you are judging God, you are judging him good and perfect. There is no point saying that anyone who judges God bad is doing so in a flawed misunderstood manner, because if that is the case it applies equally to you when you judge him good

How are you able to do this with any confidence?

Surely if God is truly incomprehensible for our limited minds you can't say he is good or bad, moral or evil, just or unjust, either way?
    There is no comparison between God and a tryant. Tyrants are selfish and power-hungry whereas God is concerned with our happiness and ultimate fate and doesn not attempt to control us.
    Yes but how have you determined that?

This is what I'm asking you. I know you believe that, I am asking you why and how you believe that?
    He showed them His great mercy by sending His Son to die for them. And what did they do? The had Him crucified! And God continues to love us despite all this.

Of course they had him crucified :confused: How else could he have died for our sins.

We would all have been screwed if the Jews had said "Lets give him a fine" and Jesus died of old age in a hut some where on the Dead Sea.
    I means I have faith or I believe that God is the greatest good and is incapable of evil because it is totally opposite and repugnant to His nature.
    That is Circular reasoning

You believe God is good because you believe God's nature is to be good. Those two statements mean the same thing. One doesn't explain the other.

Why do you believe God is good? Or, on what basis have you determined that God's nature is to be good and only good?
    You could easily say that I believe this because I want to believe it.
    Well that is why I'm asking.

If it isn't simply wishful thinking, or the extension of the argument that a unjust evil God serves you no purpose so you would only believe from the start in a god that is just because then that serves you, then what is it?
    While that is true, it's not the only reason I believe in a good God. I have had many prayers answered and my life had changed dramatically for the better since I turned back to God.
    I'm not following though how you equate that with the position that God can only be good. You can certainly claim he was good to you, but I don't see you reason to extent that out to say he can't be bad to others.

Also saying that God makes you feel wonderful again doesn't really demonstrate anything. Falling into Goodwin's law, Hitler made a lot of people feel wonderful because he inspired great pride in the German people. He did a large number of great things for German (which the neo-Nazis never stop reminding people of). But that in itself doesn't demonstrate that he either was good or could only do good.
    Not really but I think it's rational to say that a "bad" God would be self-destructive.
    Well not really. A "bad" God would certainly be destructive, not sure why he would be self destructive. Not sure how a god could destroy itself.
    Difficult one to answer. I don't know for certain so it boils down to faith really.
    Again I don't know what that means.

At some point the idea itself must enter your brain and you go "That makes sense I'll accept that" You obviously don't believe everything people tell you, why did you believe that God was infinitely wise?
    I can't know for sure.
    Well I'm not really asking "for sure", why you believe it at all would be a start. You say you don't believe God would keep us in the dark, I'm not sure how that relates to Ezekiel, but also I'm not sure the rational for that in the first place.

DubArk wrote: »
    I was on the Christian forum and felt I could write freely and was clearly told by Kelly1 that I was a devil worshiper because I disagreed and that it was a Christian forum and to get off??? I’ve never returned as it’s a forum that does not allow debate unless you’re a believer! Now you’re on this forum you’ve changed your tune, up on your pulpit preaching to the great unwashed. I find a problem with that!
    Please don't misrepresent me. In response to this:
    Let this be your heaven, the here and now and live life to the full.

I asked you were you an atheist. And in response to this:
    See what’s happening here, it’s the well rehearsed so called Jesus freaks spouting out their chosen snippets from the gospels to back up their narrow oppressive convictions on you. They are so quick to point the finger when it suits.

Thanks to them and their god they have started so many wars, had so many murdered, so many people lives made so unhappy all in the name of god. They’d hate to think you could love someone in the name of truth. It’s so easy to copy and paste parts of the bible and interpret what you see want from it to suit a certain bias.

Remember it’s your life and nobody owns it but you. They can spout as much rhetoric fire and brimstone as they want but that doesn’t make them right.

As I stated be true to yourself and you’ll find real happiness as long as in that process you hurt no one else.

You think if god was real that that fact you are a homosexual would make a blind bit of difference.

Celebrate your difference. Rejoice that you have such a wonderful life. No two of us are the same.

I asked you were you a friend of the devil. And I never told you to get off.
    You’re alternative to not believing in god, is all we’re left with is drink, drugs, sex, money etc!!!?? There’s more to life then the latter! It’s not one or the other? Either/Or you believe in MY religion or you’ll end up in some ghetto selling your body for money, so you can acquire as much drugs that your system can take till you die…
    Fair point, I'm generalizing again but you can't deny that we have a major problem with drink and drugs in this country. I believe that losts of people who don't include God in their lives will replace Him with something else. e.g. materialism.

I understand that, but in fairness if you took 100 people who shared your views how many of them would spend so much time in this forum?

I cannot put my finger on why exactly you are here. I think you know you won't convert anyone, are you trying to play out an argument that is in your mind?
    Who do so many athesits post in the Christianity forum? Do you? I live in the hope that something of what I write will ring a bell in someones head. I try my best correct some of the misunderstanding that exist about belief in God and Christianity in particular. I also enjoy a good debate and I've also learned a good few things in this forum.

Which argument do you think I'm playing out? Do you think I'm unsure of my faith?

Imagine how that would work:

But you aren't really imagining how that would work PDN, you are imagining examples that are only slightly different to the harsh world we are in now. It is a view of God more as a plumber fixing a leaking house than the original architect.

In reality if God had decided to do it differently the world would probably be dramatically different.

I had this discussion a while about about why God doesn't interven in house fires. The response from who ever it was I was debating with was that if God protected everyone from falling into a fire things would be ridiculous, kinda like your argument.

My response was why did God create humans that can be damaged by fire in the first place. This seemed to throw the conversation a bit.

The fact is that God (assuming he exists) could have created reality as anything. To create a world where humans cannot be burnt he doesn't need to intervene every time a human is about to be burnt. He simply creates a universe where humans cannot be burnt. To create a world where humans don't get cancer he doesn't need to intervene in every cancer, he simply creates a world where we don't get cancer.

The world may end up being very unlike this universe. We may be floating clouds of sentient energy, unable to suffer or feel pain at all.

The point is that situations like he creates a force field a drunk driver hitting a child miss the point.

God could have created it so we are all non-caporal beings floating through space in a state of contentment and happiness. That would effect our free will.

Its funny that religious people often turn to the concept of god after looking around and wondering how amazing it is that we are here, but so few of you ask if we were created why does it suck so much :pac:

God in their lives will replace Him with something else. e.g. materialism.

If you are suggesting that belief in God/Church will solve the drink culture here then you will understand why have very little respect for what you say. I realise now that I'm nearly on the brink of being banned from this forum if I keep responding to your posts but I just wish you would think for a second. BTW materialism and the church go hand in hand all my life its all I've seen from it.

Wicknight, I've defended my beliefs as best I can and I really don't want to get into a string of posts that are becoming ever longer. You're asking me these questions as if I could communicate with God telepathically and question Him. I'm satisfied that God is good but you are free to differ.

I believe that losts of people who don't include God in their lives will replace Him with something else. e.g. materialism.

On materialism for example
    The Catholic Church is the biggest financial power, wealth accumulator and property owner in existence. It is a greater possessor of material riches than any other single institution, corporation, bank, giant trust, government or state of the whole globe. The pope, as the visible ruler of this immense amassment of wealth, is consequently the richest individual of the twenty first century. No one can realistically assess how much he is worth in terms of billions of Euros.

Gods been replaced by the looks of it!! :)

The Catholic Church is the biggest financial power, wealth accumulator and property owner in existence. It is a greater possessor of material riches than any other single institution, corporation, bank, giant trust, government or state of the whole globe. The pope, as the visible ruler of this immense amassment of wealth, is consequently the richest individual of the twenty first century. No one can realistically assess how much he is worth in terms of billions of Euros.[/FONT]

Gods been replaced by the looks of it!! :)
    That's a myth. The Church needs property to function but the Pope doesn't own it. Why don't you try checking out Pope John Paul II's last will and testament and you'll see just how little he owned. The Vatican's art collection for instance will never be sold and costs a lot of money to maintain and for the benefit of the public.

If you think think the pope is the world's wealthiest individual, why did he never appear on the richest list with Bill Gates and Sheik Yerbouti or whatever his name is. So please get your facts straight instead of repeating unfounded stories.

That's a myth. The Church needs property to function but the Pope doesn't own it. Why don't you try checking out Pope John Paul II's last will and testament and you'll see just how little he owned. The Vatican's art collection for instance will never be sold and costs a lot of money to maintain and for the benefit of the public.

If you think think the pope is the world's wealthiest individual, why did he never appear on the richest list with Bill Gates and Sheik Yerbouti or whatever his name is. So please get your facts straight instead of repeating unfounded stories.

LOL:D

Unlike your blind faith I’ll give you just a few facts!! REAL FACTS!
    The Catholic Church, once all her assets have been put together, is the most formidable stockbroker in the world. The Vatican, independently of each successive pope, has been increasingly orientated towards the U.S. The Wall Street Journal said that the Vatican's financial deals in the U.S. alone were so big that very often it sold or bought gold in lots of a million or more dollars at one time. The Vatican's treasure of solid gold has been estimated by the United Nations World Magazine to amount to several billion Euro. A large bulk of this is stored in gold ingots with the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank, while banks in England and Switzerland hold the rest. But this is just a small portion of the wealth of the Vatican, which in the U.S. alone, is greater than that of the five wealthiest giant corporations of the country. When to that is added all the real estate, property, stocks and shares abroad, then the staggering accumulation of the wealth of the Catholic Church becomes so formidable as to defy any rational assessment.

Facts! facts! facts! Kelly does the real truth hurt? :confused:

• Advertisement

Wicknight, I've defended my beliefs as best I can and I really don't want to get into a string of posts that are becoming ever longer. You're asking me these questions as if I could communicate with God telepathically and question Him. I'm satisfied that God is good but you are free to differ.

We should rename you The Artful Dodger. Could please respond to my post or I will take that you have conceded to the fact that your beliefs and doctrine are inexplicable and indefensible.

LOL:D

Unlike your blind faith I’ll give you just a few facts!! REAL FACTS!
    The Catholic Church, once all her assets have been put together, is the most formidable stockbroker in the world. The Vatican, independently of each successive pope, has been increasingly orientated towards the U.S. The Wall Street Journal said that the Vatican's financial deals in the U.S. alone were so big that very often it sold or bought gold in lots of a million or more dollars at one time. The Vatican's treasure of solid gold has been estimated by the United Nations World Magazine to amount to several billion Euro. A large bulk of this is stored in gold ingots with the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank, while banks in England and Switzerland hold the rest. But this is just a small portion of the wealth of the Vatican, which in the U.S. alone, is greater than that of the five wealthiest giant corporations of the country. When to that is added all the real estate, property, stocks and shares abroad, then the staggering accumulation of the wealth of the Catholic Church becomes so formidable as to defy any rational assessment.

Facts! facts! facts! Kelly does the real truth hurt? :confused:

You need sources for that dude.

I'm not asking you to defend your beliefs Kelly, I'm merely asking you to explain why you believe them.

I'm asking you questions like why do you believe God is good and you are just replying with riddles, such as you believe God is good because you believe that being bad is against the nature of God, which is to be good. That doesn't answer my question, in fact it is simply repeating it back to me.

Put it this way, how would you explain to an alien who just landed on Earth and had never heard of the Bible or God or the Hebrews or Jesus, that God was good.

I'm not saying how would you prove it to him or anything like that, simply how would you explain the rational behind you believing that God is good.

Simply saying that you believe God is good because you believe God is good naturally wouldn't do it, which appears to be what you are saying to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So many tangents, so much disagreement...

The lifespan of this thread is dwindling rapidly. We might be looking at euthanasia unless someone can snatch a positive from the jaws of negativity.

We should rename you The Artful Dodger. Could please respond to my post or I will take that you have conceded to the fact that your beliefs and doctrine are inexplicable and indefensible.
    Sorry, which post do you mean?

Who do so many athesits post in the Christianity forum? Do you? I live in the hope that something of what I write will ring a bell in someones head. I try my best correct some of the misunderstanding that exist about belief in God and Christianity in particular. I also enjoy a good debate and I've also learned a good few things in this forum.
    Atheists post in the Christianity forum usually for the following reasons:
    1. They enjoy recking Christians' heads who they consider to be completly illogical.
    and / or
    2. They want to make sure their logic does not have some flaw in it. Most atheists would happily change their mind if there was some reliable evidence or logical argument for they're being a God, they can't find one. However, having an inquisitive, questioning minds will mean you will always question your position. Many atheists are like this.
    Which argument do you think I'm playing out? Do you think I'm unsure of my faith?
    I think you were previously an atheist but now you are not. You are trying to reconcile the dichotomy between the past and the present by having these arguments. The people in this forum that you are debating represent your past, another part of you that is embedded in your memory. You are trying to reconcile who you are by examing the contrast between you now and you past, by positioning people in this forum as your past.

Sorry, which post do you mean?

I was expecting a response to this. I won't hold my breath.
    Because I aspire to a world wide secular culture. Did you ever perhaps think your posts may be subjective and offensive to some? They offend me because they are concerned only with imposing your beliefs on people who have long since woken up from religious delusion. I don't have to say anything nice because as far as I am concerned you don't say anything nice either.

rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the problem is (from an athiests point of view at least, Christians don't see it as a problem at all) that Christianity by it's very definition doesn't require anything more than 'faith'. no proof, no physical evidence, just a book that wasn't first published until hundreds of years after the story it tells was handed down by word of mouth through generations of people who put their own little spin on their own little bit of it.

when I have questioned the actions of priests I'm told that they are not agents of god, but agents of man. fair enough, but by that rationale the bible is a book of man, not the book of god, since god didn't come down with his holy printing press and run off the first few copies based directly on his own words himself.

and then it gets totally re-written to give it a "more love, less smiting" feel about it so it appeals more to the liberals.

one of my favourites of all is the "he gave his only son for our sins". so god sends his young lad down on a field trip and it all goes pear shaped and they kill him. what happens when you die? you go to heaven. all he did was call him home for his dinner.

I'm sure someone can correct me on the details, but I think I got the gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

vibe666 wrote: »
    the problem is (from an athiests point of view at least, Christians don't see it as a problem at all) that Christianity by it's very definition doesn't require anything more than 'faith'. no proof, no physical evidence, just a book that wasn't first published until hundreds of years after the story it tells was handed down by word of mouth through generations of people who put their own little spin on their own little bit of it.

when I have questioned the actions of priests I'm told that they are not agents of god, but agents of man. fair enough, but by that rationale the bible is a book of man, not the book of god, since god didn't come down with his holy printing press and run off the first few copies based directly on his own words himself.

and then it gets totally re-written to give it a "more love, less smiting" feel about it so it appeals more to the liberals.

one of my favourites of all is the "he gave his only son for our sins". so god sends his young lad down on a field trip and it all goes pear shaped and they kill him. what happens when you die? you go to heaven. all he did was call him home for his dinner.

I'm sure someone can correct me on the details, but I think I got the gist of it.

Your views are not uncommon, but I find that most atheists (and most theists for that matter) are not adequately familiar with the bible, and are at best, unqualified in their own right to pass judgment.

Your comments on scripture being passed by word of mouth is incorrect. It was copied from scroll to scroll, word for word (an assumption, I do realise that).

Your rather misquoted quote, actually reads "For God loved the world so much, that he gave his only begotten son as a ransom in exchange for many". (NWT, 1984 Rev)

And therein we see what Christianity should be about. That Christ died to pay off the debt of Adam, the original man who was made perfect, but sinned and questioned the very authority of God.

Of course, God could have destroyed him, and started again, but the question remained as to whether man was fit to rule himself.

I think you can imagine the rest of it and also you can answer the question by turning on the news.

Christianity is not only the stain that is the catholic church, there's a lot more of us than that.

You can attack "christian" religions all you like. I prefer a religion which actually refers solely to scripture as its authority, instead of the ridiculous catholic church dogma and superstitions or the born-again-christian insanity and emotional incontinence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

maoleary wrote: »
    Your comments on scripture being passed by word of mouth is incorrect. It was copied from scroll to scroll, word for word (an assumption, I do realise that).
    i was under the impression that a lot of old testament stuff (possibly all of it, I'm not sure) pre-dates the whole pen and ink thing? surely if it didn't moses would have just whipped out his bic biro and scribbled down the ten commandments on the back of a napkin instead of going medieval on a stone tablet?

i also seem to remember something about the gospels being passed from word of mouth till someone god the idea to start writing them down and collecting them. maybe i'm wrong.

anyway, anyone care to have another stab at the "why does god not listen to the prayers of pleading innocent abused children but has time for all sorts of mundane things to keep Christians faithful" question?

Advertisement