Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limescale removal and limescale removal tablets

Options
  • 07-04-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So, I live in an area with very hard water and I'm using limescale removal tablets in 2 out of every 3 washing machine washes.

My question is probably a bit silly but...can these tablets be safely added to a kettle to remove limescale that has already built up? Is the kettle useable for drinking water if I do this? If not, can anyone recommend something to remove the limescale...I've tried malt vinegar with success but the place stinks of boiled vinegar afterwards :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Lemon juice works every time. Just put straight lemon juice (fresh or Jif) into your kettle overnight and let it soak. Then wash it out really well and fill it and boil just water in it just once and throw it away. That gets rid of any residue and it should be lovely.

Our water is a nightmare and we have to do this about every 3 weeks or so. We also have to do it with our shower head cos we get scalded arses every few weeks otherwise :mad:

I wouldn't be happy using a tablet in anything I have to drink out of afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah I was joking about the tablet bit :D I wouldn't do that! However, I'll try the lemon alright, I guess I should clean out the kettle every couple of weeks myself as the water in East Anglia is very hard and not very tasty :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

You can get a little thing to pop in the kettle and leave in it. Its like a little ball of wire mesh which the limescale attaches too and then you can just take it out, rinse and pop back in.

I know Chef Aid make one - about e2.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Gaggia make a powder for descaling their coffee machines. It's essentially tartaric acid in powder form and works a treat.

Advertisement