Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy it.?.

Options
  • 07-04-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

I've been offered a '04 1.8 petrol Renault Laguna, 30,000km, Full Service History, 1 owner from new(Male, Factory Manager).

Now I know they aint the most reliable cars... Thing is I can get it quite quite quite cheap. Only catch is i've to keep it for at least a year.

I share a car with the GF, we're using her Micra at the mo but had planned to change it over the next month or two for a 306/Golf/Focus etc. Obviously the running costs are gonna be a bit more but I could live with that....

What ye's think??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If the price is right then get the car looked over by a mechanic. FSH is good and 30K is low mileage and if the car had problems they should have been sorted by now. Its a nice car (if working!) It would all come down to price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Nice and comfy but slow as fcuk!

I had one and the gearbox went - totally! Possibly 50% my fault though as I really did completely drive the stones out of it - because it was so slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's all about the price. How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Well it can't be slower than a micra n a drive a 1.9d Berlingo in work so I'm used to going slow... Memories of my saxo vts come flooding back..

My dad knows the ins n outs of cars so i've never needed a mechanic... I'm getting it through his company so he knows the history of the car n he's the boss of the guy that had it.. Its an X company car, it was used to get from Clondalkin to Tallaght n whatever personal use... I think it'd be a good buy, checked the same spec/milage on carzone and they're over twice what I can get this one for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Sounds good then - just make sure there are no faults, if it is still a company car then you may be able to have any faults sorted before you purchase.

• Advertisement

It'll be going back to the dealer for a full service n valet before I get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Good site to see what to look out for: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=331&

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

If you a getting a good deal, it would be worth while investing in a new set of ignition coils, approx €280 for a set of four. As sure as Day follows Night, these are going to give you problems at some stage (Renault used poor quality coils).
    Also at the service, get them to change the battery.

Another problem with the laguna are the Front Ball joints and Rear Axle and wishbone Bushes which tend to wear very quickly. (A common N.C.T. Failure).once again Renault used inferior quality products.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Cheers for that info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Last auction I was at 4 yo Lagunas were making €4k.. there were 4 or 5 for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JHMEG wrote: »
    Last auction I was at 4 yo Lagunas were making €4k.. there were 4 or 5 for sale.

FSH coupled with personal knowledge of the car is worth paying a bit extra for though, especially with a model that has its fair share of known issues .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Stekelly wrote: »
    FSH coupled with personal knowledge of the car is worth paying a bit extra for though, especially with a model that has its fair share of known issues .
    Only up to a point (100 euro in this case). All the ones at auction had service histories.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Wouldn't an x company car have high mileage?? and on a petrol laguna?? As said, depends on price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

mildews wrote: »
    If you a getting a good deal, it would be worth while investing in a new set of ignition coils, approx €280 for a set of four. As sure as Day follows Night, these are going to give you problems at some stage (Renault used poor quality coils).
    Also at the service, get them to change the battery.

Seconded. Unless the coils have been previously changed, you're going to need to be changing them

I'll deffo change the coils when I get it... Milage aint high on it as the owner only used to get to work and back. His wife had a 7 seater that they used at home so its had very little use. Going by the carzone prices a similar laguna with same miles is going for around €12k.. I'm getting it for less than half that... Once it doesn't crap out on me over the next year I'll be happy, I should get more on a trade in/private sale than I'm paying for it next year if I decide to sell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

well if you are lucky you will get a nice car for small money, if not, well...

I have driven Laguna 1.6 2002 and 2003 models and they are not so bad to drive, quite nice actually, and specially sport interior and seats are nice ones, and interior in general as well.

But basically that car will give you problems sooner or later, both my parents and my sister owns Lagunas and they give problems,

I think both ones are driven under 100k and so far there has been need to fix coil, wishbone, battery, timing belt went for my sisters car, 2,5k costed to fix, but thankfully she had a service agreement, so she did not pay anything.

But generally Laguna is a nice, modern car, but not very trustworty to own.

Well I intend to replace the coils n fit a new batt when I get it... After that there's nothing much I can do... Guess its hit n miss with these cars. Some people have had them over 150k without a single prob, others have had them for 3k with endless probs...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Take the carzone prices with a few buckets of salt :) Nobody'll be paying the asking price.

Stephen wrote: »
    Take the carzone prices with a few buckets of salt :) Nobody'll be paying the asking price.

I know.. The ave price is aroun €10,500... If I sold it for €8k i'd be happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Budget for a new credit card type key too as the unlock button wears out, 240quid from the dealer. GF's da got stung there the other day. Personally after driving his 1.8 I thought it was a bit gutless.

Also be aware that the residuals are poor on these so you might have to keep it for a long time to justify spending the money on it.

I'd go for a slightly older mazda 6 instead.

• Advertisement

There's a guy in the UK that strips the cards n replaces all the switches for £25... Both of the keys work fine at the mo, if anything happens I'll just send them to him..

The main dealer charges so much cause he has to order a new key and reprogramme it... They aint designed to be opened but u can open them and replace the switch, leaves a bit of cosmetic damage down the side of the key but for a saving of €200 I wouldn't care

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

As I have said, a few common problems to look out for but from personal experience a very comfortable car and nice to drive.

I have to say though you have been lucky with the responses to this thread considering the Renault bashing brigade that dwells on this site:D:D:D

Advertisement