Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving any vaguely sex related threads to s & s

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

PSI wrote: »
    Considering the content of other fora, I never really understood why S&S was locked to subscribers only.

It isn't as if the stuff there is any more X-rated than allegedly underage posters giving advice on BJ's in other fora (as was alleged in a AH thread).

I'd say open up S&S or have it access request soccer style or even have an I am over 18 pop up disclaimer.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

If its in S+S its a general discussion between those there really so could be a useful thread.
    Are the users of S+S incapable of coming up with their own topics. It seems a very sad place if its dependant on TLL for good material. I support locking/deleting inappropriate threads but not removing someones sexual thoughts to a private forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't suggest anything. The mods there are more than capable of handling the forum the way they want. If they want AH-lite, great for them. I personally think it's a waste of something that could be a good resource.

+1. I'll be the first to admit that I've made a couple of AH-esque posts in the forum because that's the tone of certain threads. I didn't think that's how the forum was going to be when it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I am the voice of reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

2 stroke wrote: »
    Are the users of S+S incapable of coming up with their own topics. It seems a very sad place if its dependant on TLL for good material. I support locking/deleting inappropriate threads but not removing someones sexual thoughts to a private forum.

No this was moved by LL mods.

I would argue that somoenes sexual thoughts should be in a private forum f
    designed for that purpose rather than letting AH muppets loose

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'd say open up S&S or have it access request soccer style or even have an I am over 18 pop up disclaimer.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Marksie wrote: »
    No this was moved by LL mods.

I would argue that somoenes sexual thoughts should be in a private forum f
    designed for that purpose rather than letting AH muppets loose

But if the person cannot then discuss these thoughts themselves, its a pointless exercise moving it, is it not? Deletion or moving to PI being the alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I have to agree with Crash_000...moderators have no business moving threads to a forum where the OP has no access. Deleting the thread is unfair too (at least without a PM detailing why).
    The obvious and logical solution is to lock the thread if it's deemed inapt for the forum and the mod doing the locking should post a conclussion, saying why it's been locked and what the OP can do to discuss their problem (subscribe, go to another site, etc.)...moving is unfair for the reasons outlined above...just because the person doing the moving has access to that forum, doesn't mean the poster has...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If in this particular case (or any other similar case) the op had requested temporary access to s&s to follow their thread, how would that be looked at? Could that be a fix, rather than free access to all?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's pretty simple...

If you wish to talk about topics related to sex and sexuality on this site, you need to post them on the S&S board. If you want access to the S&S board, you subscribe or you become a mod. If you don't fulfill these criteria, you can't post about S&S stuff on boards.ie.

There's nothing there that's difficult to understand. It's the same as any of the boards - want to talk soccer, the soccer board, want to talk Call of Duty 4, the COD board. Some of these boards have rules for posting and access too.

If people can't stick by these rules, let them feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Kharn wrote: »
    It's pretty simple...

If you wish to talk about topics related to sex and sexuality on this site, you need to post them on the S&S board. If you want access to the S&S board, you subscribe or you become a mod. If you don't fulfill these criteria, you can't post about S&S stuff on boards.ie.

There's nothing there that's difficult to understand. It's the same as any of the boards - want to talk soccer, the soccer board, want to talk Call of Duty 4, the COD board. Some of these boards have rules for posting and access too.

If people can't stick by these rules, let them feck off.

That's a fair point but if your COD4 thread on AH gets moved, it won't be to a forum to which you have no access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Wertz wrote: »
    I have to agree with Crash_000...moderators have no business moving threads to a forum where the OP has no access.

Eh, of course we do. The Higher Ups has assigned S&S to be the place where such things are concerned.

They own this board.

We do what they rule.

Thats about it.

If a member is new or only around a short time then i think a PM to them explaining why it was moved and how to get access would be a nice idea though.
    Maximilian wrote: »
    That's a fair point but if your COD4 thread on AH gets moved, it won't be to a forum to which you have no access.

But if you want to post on boards you agree to go by the rules, one of which is that "sex" and other such dirty things are only discussed on the S&S board.

Personally i think people assume the S&S forum is some kind of skin house....it's probably one of the quietest forums on boards.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Dragan wrote: »

But if you want to post on boards you agree to go by the rules, one of which is that "sex" and other such dirty things are only discussed on the S&S board.

Personally i think people assume the S&S forum is some kind of skin house....it's probably one of the quietest forums on boards.

Sure, I'm well aware its one of the rules but that rule is precisely the matter under discussion no?

I agree with you - the S&S was a huge disappointment :) No boobies anywhere.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Maximilian wrote: »
    Sure, I'm well aware its one of the rules but that rule is precisely the matter under discussion no?

I agree with you - the S&S was a huge disappointment :) No boobies anywhere.

You mean youve not had your invite to the private boobie forum? Damn, how did you get left out?

Re: the rule... If that rule is the particular sticking point to opening up s&s, then I think it should remain closed. That rule exists (I would think) to sweep all the 'dirt' into one area, so to speak, so the innocent cannot see it. I think the mods do use their discretion to leave certain threads public, where the subject matter is in more of a grey area, such as when its a PI query. And you still get all sorts of bodily stuff discussed in other places, but not in such a direct and open way like in s&s.

Eh, of course we do. The Higher Ups has assigned S&S to be the place where such things are concerned.

They own this board.

We do what they rule.

Thats about it.

If a member is new or only around a short time then i think a PM to them explaining why it was moved and how to get access would be a nice idea though.

If the thread is inappropriate for the forum it was posted in, lock it, with a post explaining why...it avoids lots of problems....feedback posts about "hey where's my thread?", the problem of people carrying on a thread where the OP can't even see it let alone contribute. Moving it to a private forum is unfair and unhelpful
    It's all very well saying, SUBSCRIBE SUBSCRIBE...perhaps people are new or not overly active users, maybe they don't know that you can subscribe or see a reason for doing so, maybe they're skint or a schoolkid with no paypal account...coming in with the "I'm a mod I can do what I like" attitude isn't helpful in this situation. A little leeway makes life easier for everyone. If an admin or an owner would like to move the thread, bin it, make sweet love to it, then that's their perogative...not a moderator's (IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Wertz wrote: »
    ...coming in with the "I'm a mod I can do what I like" attitude isn't helpful in this situation. A little leeway makes life easier for everyone. If an admin or an owner would like to move the thread, bin it, make sweet love to it, then that's their perogative...not a moderator's (IMO).

I'm not too sure how you got that from post?

I basically said the Admins and such have decided things and we enforce them. That is kind of our job as Moderators no?

Amins simply do not have the time to check all the forums and the reported posts that pile up each day.

Also i disagree with the locking of a thread in the wrong forum when it could lead to some interesting discussion in the right forum.

I was also suggesting the idea of a PM in all cases where a thread is moved explaining the situation.

Damn me and my "I can do what i want attitude!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The admins have never stated "all sexual content should be moved to S&S" - they have simply said thats where its place is.

Its silly and stupid to move threads to a private forum - I don't see how anyone can disagree with this. Ok, if its a general "blah blah" thread i am against it but could care less, but if its a case of a poster asking a question, a lock and a "all sexual content can only be posted on the S&S forum - see here as to how to access" is the ONLY correct way to deal with it IMO, for two reasons:

1)its unhelpful to the initial poster - they have no idea they broke a rule.
    and
    2)its useless for the S&S forum - those threads never get posted upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

So we are in agreement.

Bring Windsock to the Wickerman and let the festivities begin.....

I'm not too sure how you got that from post?

I basically said the Admins and such have decided things and we enforce them. That is kind of our job as Moderators no?

Amins simply do not have the time to check all the forums and the reported posts that pile up each day.

Also i disagree with the locking of a thread in the wrong forum when it could lead to some interesting discussion in the right forum.

I was also suggesting the idea of a PM in all cases where a thread is moved explaining the situation.

Damn me and my "I can do what i want attitude!":D

I didn't really get it from your post and I'm not really arguing with you or your post.
    I know what a moderator is and does (I was a mod on another forum many moons ago) and I know that admins and owners have neither the time nor inclination to scan countless boards looking for that one elusive post that breaks the rules and that that's why they appoint mods to do their bidding.
    However I'd be surprised if the admins/owners in this case would think it was the done thing to just simply uproot a discussion and plank it down in a private forum because of sexual content. A moderator should facillitate the users of a forum by keeping the place flowing, intruding as little as possible and keeping the bad stuff at bay...by denying the right of someone to reply to their own thread by locking it away from their access doesn't facilitate anyone, and in fact makes things more difficult.
    In this instance it's a girl with a tentative question who's asking it where she thinks is apt...suddenly the thread is nowhere to be found and she finds out that it's in a private forum but still being posted upon; she'd have every right to be a bit upset and perhaps paranoid at the notion that her business is up for discussion, just not by her...unless she hands over the cash :pac: .

It's all very well PMing a poster to tell them why their thread was moved to a private part of the site...they still can't see it, but yet the thread carries on.
    Locking it kills the thread, sure, but it remains open to being read and the OP after having the situation explained, then has the option of subscribing and posting in the S&S forum.

When you click submit, the rights to what you've posted to these forums becomes the property of the owners, as far as I undertsand it...that gives them the right to do as they see fit (and their mods by proxy). Far be it from me to tell them how to run their site but playing ball with posters in special cases like this is a way to improve the end experiences of potential subscribers, rather than seemingly trying to goad them into paying the man...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

S&S being a private board has nothing to do with it - the rules of this site are that if you want to talk about such thing, that's the place to do it. If you haven't got access, it can be arranged - all the information is there. I'd suggest modifying the "access denied" page for S&S to explain how to get access if it's not too dirty a hack in the code.

If people post off-topic on a forum, they should have their thread moved to the correct place and tbh, tough titties on them if they can't access the board. These are the site rules. This is the agreement you make with the owners for the privelege of being a part of this community.

Where is the difficulty here?

• Advertisement

S&S being a private board has nothing to do with it -

Of course it has...other threads being moved to other forums are still accessible by the original poster. In the case of soccer, they can log out and read but not contribute to that thread. With S&S they can't even do that (nor am I suggesting that they should be able to).
    ...the rules of this site are that if you want to talk about such thing, that's the place to do it. If you haven't got access, it can be arranged - all the information is there.
    Yes the rules are there and for 99% of cases they work and work well. In this particular case they don't (IMO)...
    It can be arranged by paying for it. Great. That's not something that every user of the site wishes to do...fair enough why facillitate their use of the site if they're not willing to subscribe for certain features...but again why make things difficult for them by transplanting their thread to somewhere they have no ready access?

If people post off-topic on a forum, they should have their thread moved to the correct place and tbh, tough titties on them if they can't access the board. These are the site rules. This is the agreement you make with the owners for the privelege of being a part of this community.

Yes they should have their thread moved...but they should also have some read access to it at least. As stated above for 99% of cases they do; in this case they don't.

Tough titties my arse...someone posts in what they believe is the apt forum (read the OP) and then has their somewhat sensitive query/discussion uprooted and left open for posting for a subset of members and mods, but not for them. If that's what the rules encourage then either they're in need of subtle change or the method of implementation needs tweaking.
    No-one has a problem with the S&S forum being private or a feature to reward subscribers...nor have they a problem with T&C's of the site in general, but this is the feedback forum, posters are saying why in this certain case and cases like it, that moving the thread isn't the proper thing to do regardless of the rules. There's damn all we can do about it; that's up to admins and their appointed moderator team.
    Where is the difficulty here?

Let me draw a picture:

Anyone else had this problem? What should I do?

Hi Sexy_poster_1.
    Unfortunately your topic isn't suitable for discussion in this forum. We have a dedicated "Sex and Sexuality" forum for such matters. You need to be a subsciber to the site to access and post in that forum.
    I have also sent you a PM informing you of this.
    I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread now. If you are a subscriber and wish to discuss this topic over in the proper forum, please PM me and I will move and unlock the thread.
    Details on how to subscribe are available here.
    Regards.

VERSUS
    Hi, I'm having this problem with my partner during sex blah blah blah...

[MOVED TO PRIVATE PART OF SITE]

[THREAD REMAINS OPEN & DISCUSSION CONTINUES]

[NO FURTHER INPUT FROM ORIGINAL POSTER OR READ ACCESS ALLOWED WITHOUT SUBSCRIPTION]

That's the difficulty.

The mod(s) in question could quite easily look at the poster's profile and see straight off the bat if they're a subscriber or not...if they are, then fine, move the thread...it doesn't make a difference. If they're not, then do what I illustrated above; lock, post/PM detailing why it's been locked and how to go about rectifying things. If typing all that out is too much work then make a template.

I'll point out here that I'm neither a contributor nor reader of the Ladies Lounge, nor am I subscriber to the site. I'm not in here looking for an argument, I'm just pointing out that the rule or implementation of the rule in cases like this need modification for the sake of fairness to posters. That's not an awful lot to ask.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Has it not been pointed out that problems can be dealt with in PI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Originally Posted by Sexy_poster_1
    Hi, I'm having this problem with my partner during sex blah blah blah...

In this instance it can be moved to PI.

Jesus, enough with the pedantry...if it's been moved to PI then there IS no issue since that's not a private forum.
    My illustration was for the hard of reading comprehension. Substitute "great orgasm" for "problem" and re-read...

Advertisement