Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What format??

• 07-04-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this has been asked before.. Haven't been keeping up with the game news...

What format is best to get this on?? 360 or Ps3??

Will it have online play?? As I do most/all of my online gaming on the 360.. Mainly cause I don't have a PS3 yet(getting one in a week or two)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

No difference in gameplay on either.

pc has kb + mouse so obviously it'll be better :pac:

exclusive dlc for 360.

make up yer own mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

get it on 360, it has exclusive content coming in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

PI'm getting it on PS3, but really no difference.

The DL is a plus, but it doesn't bother me. I wonder what sort of stuff it will be? R* confirmed that there would be no added levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Is the PS3 deffo not getting the DLC???

unklerosco wrote: »

"deffo"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Don't know if this has been asked before.. Haven't been keeping up with the game news...

What format is best to get this on?? 360 or Ps3??

As kaimera said it'll be best on the PC. It will be worth the wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Don't have a PC... well I do but It aint for playing games... N to get a pc specced up to playing GTA I could buy a new 360 n PS3. But thats a whole new thread...

Guess its the 360 then... Will it have co-op etc??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I was always getting it for PS3 simply because i prefer the dual shock for GTA games,

But been reading some early impressions and PS3 seems better in other ways too.

http://www.gamerevolver.com/articlenav-112-page-1.html

Apparently 360 suffers from some slowdown and has less cars/people on screen at all times.

PS3 also looks better graphically according to this, more realistic and not as blurry/cartoony as on 360.

There also seems to be splitscreen multiplayer on PS3 that is missing in the 360 version

TBH who gives a ****, all minor issues and i might buy it on both systems in the end for the DLC.

Roll on the 29th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

ShaneU wrote: »
    "deffo"

Actually not ''deffo'' exactly, but doubtful. The PS3 may have something lined up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

360 1st then PC next year.

All game pads the same really, prefer to use a pad for GTA so when its comes out on pc i will use a ps2 pad.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Actually not ''deffo'' exactly, but doubtful. The PS3 may have something lined up.
    But not the "exclusive content" that MS paid $50 million for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

WellyJ wrote: »
    I was always getting it for PS3 simply because i prefer the dual shock for GTA games,

But been reading some early impressions and PS3 seems better in other ways too.

http://www.gamerevolver.com/articlenav-112-page-1.html

Apparently 360 suffers from some slowdown and has less cars/people on screen at all times.

PS3 also looks better graphically according to this, more realistic and not as blurry/cartoony as on 360.

There also seems to be splitscreen multiplayer on PS3 that is missing in the 360 version

TBH who gives a ****, all minor issues and i might buy it on both systems in the end for the DLC.

Roll on the 29th

I would take that review with a pinch of salt.From what I've read on other sites that review isn't to be trusted.
    This is where that review was originally:
    http://www.cgreviews.com/
    And as you can see he took it down.Rockstar NEVER let anyone play early builds to get that much detail.

EDIT:The guy has put it back up AND has admitted he made it up.
    http://home.comcast.net/~infamousdd/CGReviews_-_Cam_Garish_Reviews_-_One_Review_at_a_Time.html
    What an asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

I've a Ps3 and an xbox Elite so i'm going to wait and see what the reviews say about both versions before i decide. DLC is a plus for xbox but i'm still leaning towards PS3 probably because i think of GTA as a playstation game haha

jones wrote: »
    I've a Ps3 and an xbox Elite so i'm going to wait and see what the reviews say about both versions before i decide. DLC is a plus for xbox but i'm still leaning towards PS3 probably because i think of GTA as a playstation game haha
    GTA is a pc game. Always was :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

360 - don't have a PS3 so that's out of the equation. I'll get it for PC when its eventually released for that too. I've always had far more fun playing GTA on a PC than on consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I opted to buy a PS3 a few weeks back. I was pretty much always going to get one over an 360 anyway but 2 main factors played a BIG part in my decision. Blu Ray v HD DVD being one reason why I chose the PS3.

Secondly, and what put me off the most in terms of getting a 360, was the way MicroSoft threw 50 million at R* to get exclusive content. Yes ill admit thats a plus, but it doesnt seem right to me for some reason. MS trying desperately to get an advantage in the market by getting out their big cheque book, instead of both machines selling the same game and see who fares better. It just smacks of MS trying to compensate for something (inferior hardware possibly/another argument entirely though).

Ehh..companies throw money around to get exclusives all the time.

Why should MS be any different?

kaimera wrote: »
    Ehh..companies throw money around to get exclusives all the time.

Why should MS be any different?

Of course they do, I realise that. Its just that its unprecedented in the games industry (please correct me if i'm wrong) and it would take someone like MS to start it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Anyone hear anything about the MultiPlayer being 360 exclusive? There was a comment from a MS bod on the internet saying that downloadable content and multiplayer were exclusive to the 360

Tauren wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about the MultiPlayer being 360 exclusive? There was a comment from a MS bod on the internet saying that downloadable content and multiplayer were exclusive to the 360

Multiplayer certainly is not exclusive to 360.

• Advertisement

Amm, Sony and GTA3 maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ps3, i don't believe in paying microsoft multiplayer taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fizman wrote: »
    Multiplayer certainly is not exclusive to 360.

from here:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/gta-iv-multiplayer-support-unique-to-360

Microsoft's Mattrick confirms exclusivity, promises to address hardware shortages

Microsoft's senior VP of Interactive Entertainment, Don Mattrick, has told the Major Nelson podcast that Rockstar's forthcoming super-title, Grand Theft Auto IV, will have multiplayer elements which will be exclusive to the Xbox 360.

"It's an amazing piece of software, and I'm really excited with its downloadable content and online multiplayer support - again, that's something that's unique to 360," he said.

"We think consumers are going to love that, and it's going to create what I would describe, again, as the premium experience on our platform."

While there has been some confusion on the matter, and in the absence of further clarification from Microsoft or Rockstar Games, the news would seem to be a blow for PlayStation 3 owners who will already miss out on the previously announced Xbox 360 episodic downloadable content, which Mattrick also refers to here.

In addition the former EA man, who joined Microsoft six months ago, promised that the company was working to address the Xbox 360 hardware shortage issues in North America.

"We'd hoped to have a strong showing in North America this holiday season, and we had a stronger showing than anticipated," he said in the podcast. "So we had some shortages, we weren't able to deliver enough hardware against demand that was in the market.

"That's a great problem to have, we're addressing that in the coming year - it's going to take us a little bit of time to amp up our manufacturing, but we're really encouraged that people purchased as many games and as many boxes as they did on our platform - we think that bodes well for the future."

Microsoft Studios' corporate senior VP, Shane Kim, recently told the D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas that the company was bullish about the prospects for the Xbox 360 this year, despite assertions by the likes of EA that it would be outsold by the PS3 - and hinted that there was a lot to come from the software pipeline that hadn't yet been announced.

Tauren wrote: »
    from here:

"It's an amazing piece of software, and I'm really excited with its downloadable content and online multiplayer support - again, that's something that's unique to 360," he said.

Is support the key term here? He may be referring to how well its supported on 360 as opposed to PSN. Either that now or several major PS3 magazine publishers have wasted a lot of time/money/resources on doing 6 page plus previews of the PS3's multiplayer features!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think the exclusive only refers to the DLC. If there was going to be such a massive difference between the games as one with mp and one without the entire internet would have burst into flames long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Well I would that with a pinch of salt as it's coming from MS. Only thing that is confirmed is that the 360 will get exclusive DLC. As for the support, nothing else has been said about it. I mean, what extra support could they get? MS don't even set up servers for most other online games on Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

suppafly wrote: »
    As kaimera said it'll be best on the PC. It will be worth the wait

Awful long wait though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I waited long enough for SA on PC. For what? Slightly better draw distance. Pffft! I think this thread is meant for people who have both Xbox and PS3 - they are the only ones who need to make a decision on this issue come the 29th. If that's not it's aim, then I fail to see the point of this thread, and there is no point for people who only have one of the consoles saying get it on that one. Or, those who say wait for it on PC. That's not the frikking question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The PC does improve on the console' s version slightly, however as pointed out the wait just doesn't justify it.

I think one of the best reasons to have got SA on PC was the Multiplayer patch made available if you were interested in MP and could not get it by console

Now that Rockstar have made it available on all platforms, it doesn't really matter anymore. ( except the fact that pc will most likely put the maxium server slot to 32)

As for which format, for now I would perhaps say Xbox 360 unless PS3 has it's download content available at the same time.

Fall 2008 is when DC will become available for Xbox, Sony haven't announced when there's will become available as of yet, as far as I know anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

"Downloadable content for the PlayStation 3 was confirmed by Jeronimo Barrera, in the May edition of PlayStation World Magazine.[53] The form that the content will take was not stated."

From here.

jasonorr wrote: »
    "Downloadable content for the PlayStation 3 was confirmed by Jeronimo Barrera, in the May edition of PlayStation World Magazine.[53] The form that the content will take was not stated."

From here.
    It's not the DLC that the 360 is getting, that cost $50 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Well I have a PS3 and 360.

PS3 is hooked up via hdmi to a 1080p 40" lcd.
    360 is hooked up via component.

PS3 looks better on the TV.

Is GTA IV 720p or 1080p ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ShaneU wrote: »
    It's not the DLC that the 360 is getting, that cost $50 million.

It didn't "cost" $50 million. Microsoft gave Rockstar an advance of $50 million on expected earnings from the DLC. When DLC is purchased the money all goes to Microsoft, then Microsoft gives some of it to Rockstar. The $50 million was just an advance on what Microsoft expect Rockstars cut to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Is GTA IV 720p or 1080p ?

No games are 1080, well no good ones. Wouldnt be surpirised if GTA actually ran at 600 and was scaled up to 720 like a good few games are.

Advertisement