Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB or Halifax. Who would you pick?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm with AIB for my banking but are they the best bank to be with? I was looking at Halifax and there account interest and credit card seem to be the best on the market.

Am I wrong?

Should I switch :confused:

Can anyone offer advice or suggest another bank?

Thanks in advance.

P/S

(don't know if this helps in the advice given but I don't have any mortgage to switch)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

While Halifax have an attractive offer, they're quite strict as to who will get it and plenty of people here have commented on their rather shaky customer service levels (do a search on the forum for Halifax)

As for AIB - well they're "reliable" so to speak. Not many surprises with them. Telephone banking is generally quite good, internet banking has good range of facilities and functionality etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Aib, and what buffybot said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Hi all,

I'm with AIB for my banking but are they the best bank to be with? I was looking at Halifax and there account interest and credit card seem to be the best on the market.

Am I wrong?

Should I switch :confused:

Can anyone offer advice or suggest another bank?

Thanks in advance.

P/S

(don't know if this helps in the advice given but I don't have any mortgage to switch)

For a moment I thought this was a joke..... but I think you're actually serious :eek: Halifax. Meh. Let me tell you a story. I had my credit card (student) with AIB. I changed it to a Halifax card. However it's not much use if you can't view it online without having to jump through hoops (see my previous posts). And even at that I can't view any transactions. So I'm moving my credit card back to AIB. I suppose it was an experiment of sorts and it hasn't worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

stepbar wrote: »
    For a moment I thought this was a joke..... but I think you're actually serious :eek: Halifax. Meh. Let me tell you a story. I had my credit card (student) with AIB. I changed it to a Halifax card. However it's not much use if you can't view it online without having to jump through hoops (see my previous posts). And even at that I can't view any transactions. So I'm moving my credit card back to AIB. I suppose it was an experiment of sorts and it hasn't worked.

totally agree about the credit card, i had it got rid after few weeks, but i wouldn't let this change your mind if the current account is more what your after. the interest is nice very month and no thinking about did i use my laser or online transaction to avoid the fees. Halifax might not have all the online facilities as aib but has most of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

I changed my current account to Halifax and found them as good if not better than AIB in every respect, the bank staff are great and much more friendly/helpful than AIB, Saturday opening is great (although I hardly ever use it), phone and internet banking are as good as AIB. I was about to change my credit card till I saw stepbar's post about not being able to view transactions so I cancelled the application. They do plan on introducing it sometime but they haven't a clue when.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

Stick with AIB, I left them to move to Ulster bank and it's the worst thing I ever did. Never thought I'd say it but I truly miss their efficiency. From what other posters are saying Halifax aren't the best, trust me it ain't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

Id advise you to stick with AIB also.Their internet banking seems to be top notch and the telephone banking seems fairly good also.I havn't been to an actual branch in years as I can open new accounts abd transfer money online fairly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I've recently moved from PTSB to Halifax and so far so good.

Find their customer care really good. Can't really comment on branches as yet, but I reckon they can't be worse than PTSB.

Find their online banking a lot easier to use. Bit of a pain that I can't view the visa transactions online, but I'll get over it.

markpb wrote: »
    Saturday opening is great (although I hardly ever use it),

Some branches are open till 5 pm on Saturdays at the minute cause their doing promotions

Good news..... Click card is on the way. Pain free banking once again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

I moved to Halifax from AIB a couple of months back and I have no complaints really. I would prefer to see my credit card transactions however it just makes me look at the statement when it comes in. I find their staff always really helpful

Thats fair enough but TBH if you cant view the transactions online it's a problem. But everyone to their own I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

AIB

The new click card has a standard APR of 8.5%. Lowest standard rate in the country AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

cazzy wrote: »
    AIB

The new click card has a standard APR of 8.5%. Lowest standard rate in the country AFAIK.

That's my understanding . It's pretty much at a personal loan rate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

charba wrote: »
    I moved to Halifax from AIB a couple of months back and I have no complaints really. I would prefer to see my credit card transactions however it just makes me look at the statement when it comes in. I find their staff always really helpful
    stepbar wrote: »

Coming the end of june with halifax you will be able to view your transactions online.
    Very late considering this bank has been open over 2 years but finally they got the finger out.

heymcflyx wrote: »
    Coming the end of june with halifax you will be able to view your transactions online.
    Very late considering this bank has been open over 2 years but finally they got the finger out.

Source?

Asked in the branch. They said it was being delayed til the start of 2009 but because of numerous complaints they had to move it to june.
    Mate of mine works there and confirmed this.
    He said 'He was told by CC operations that HOPEFULLY by June this will be up and running'

Best bet is to wait and see and call them in July.

i would say the damaged is already done though, will be hard to win back the customers that left because of this reason, me for one anyway

Well it will be good to see if they come thru on this anyway.
    They have made a lot of mistakes this was a big one I just dont understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Athina

AIb excellent, I have been with them over 10 years, fantastic service through their Internet banking service, you can view statements, transfer money to other bank accounts or do international transfers, pay bills, top up mobile, set up standing orders etc without ever having to go into one of their branches. Also they have 2 fantasic online savings accounts one of which is a 7 day notice account of which they pay 5% interest up to a balance of 10,000 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've heard nothing but BAD comments about Halifax from people I know who have switched.

I've been with AIB about six years and I've had no problems with them. If only they did Visa Debit they'd be the best Irish bank!

eth0_ wrote: »
    I've heard nothing but BAD comments about Halifax from people I know who have switched.

I've been with AIB about six years and I've had no problems with them. If only they did Visa Debit they'd be the best Irish bank!

I switched from aib to Halifax, glad i did. i get 17€ interest every month where i got Zero from aib. Only downside for Halifax was not seen credit card transactions online, which is now coming online next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 dhblewis

Can you see visa debit transactions online at the moment?

dhblewis wrote: »
    Can you see visa debit transactions online at the moment?

yes, always could. The problem was just with the credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The fact it takes a WEEK for the transaction to show up on my (AIB) internet banking if I withdraw money from a Halifax ATM makes them look really unprofessional and put me off, tbh.

well ye i would agree with you on that, i have heard this before, havent had much experience of it tho. Longest its seems for me would be three days, normally those littles in the likes of spars and centras.

Advertisement