Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How was your oral? :D

Options
  • 07-04-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Have any of you had your French yet?

Had mine today and it wasn't at all like I'd expected!

She asked barely anything on all the more difficult/interesting questions I'd prepared on drugs, alcohol, politics, education system etc. I only just managed to force her to ask me about obesity and anorexia, and most of the time was spent on school/family/local area/hobbies. Bit of a surprise as I'd prepared questions on a lot of topical and obscure issues.
    All the other 6th years are the same, everyone kinda surprised at not being asked the harder stuff.

How was it for you? What was your examiner like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

I had my irish orals today went really well ....

he asked me where i lived and then he asked me bout drugs environment goerge bush bertie ahern alchol the north and what i wanted to do next year..... went really well:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I had my irish orals today went really well ....

he asked me where i lived and then he asked me bout drugs environment goerge bush bertie ahern alchol the north and what i wanted to do next year..... went really well:D:D:D
    was that honours?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You seem to have got a difficult one,the hardest thing anybody from my class got asked was social problems in the country.We've learned off pages of notes on the north,bertie ahern,us electons,iraq and tibet and nothing got asked on them

• Registered Users Posts: 46 x_Ashy_x

had my irish today...had loadsa stuff prepared n got asked bout none of it! really really simple stuff wasnt even asked anything in the m.c.! everyone came out shocked bout how easy it was...was kinda disappointed tho cuz didnt get much of a chance t show off my irish at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I did Irish today too. 3% of my leaving done, wooo. Went pretty well, i felt the same, i didnt get to use everything i knew, but there was no silence anyway, i just kept talking. He was lovely, kind of hot as well, i wish he was my actual teacher.

And hey, all that stuff everyone had learned off will help for the essays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Does anyone know how to say,

"At the end of the day"

"All in all"

"Thats all" as gaeilge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

blue-army wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to say,

"At the end of the day"

"All in all"

"Thats all" as gaeilge?

Ag deireadh an lae

Ar an iomlán (On the whole, pretty much the same thing)

Sin é go léir

My Irish went great. She told me I was go hiontach afterwards.
    I messed up once tho (well once that I know of now). She asked me if I ever fell while cycling, and I said "Thit mé uair amahin. Bhí oighean are an bothair"

Oighean is oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Did my russian today :D aww went quite good .. until she asked me about what is russian culture known for.. that kind puzzled me for a while there :( had a blank moment.. could only think of couple of classics :( argh..

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Communism?

Seriously though; I can't think of any. But thats from decades of American blacklisting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 tex mexx

i have my Irish tomorrow,not looking forward to it. it confuses me how people didn't get their answers out though. im not very good at irish at all, but i know how to "lure" the examiner into asking the questions i want. if only i had some good answers i could lure her towards....:o

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

i wouldnt say that she would of been to happy to hear about thath :D lolz
    opera and balle.. :( argh.. why why havnt i shown interest in those areas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Yuugib wrote: »
    Did my russian today :D aww went quite good .. until she asked me about what is russian culture known for.. that kind puzzled me for a while there :( had a blank moment.. could only think of couple of classics :( argh..

Vodka???? Kind of like the Irish and Guinness!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I've my Irish oral in about half an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Ugh, I had my French oral a couple of hours ago, it didn't go half as well as I had hoped.

The examiner didn't do the whole "presentez-vous" thing, or really let me say much at all, she just kept asking me questions. Really random questions that I would never have thought of beforehand, too ... So pretty much, I made up most of what I was saying on the spot, and it was probably all wrong...

Bleh. Hopefully I did better than I thought, but I kinda doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I had my French Oral yesterday. It went okish I think. She let me talk for most of it but I got quite confused when she asked me how do I come to school...I didn't really know what she was saying but I understood eventually and said "Je vais á l'école en autobus" but then she just kept looking at me and I was like, what the hell?? What else can I say?? I started talking about what I do when I arrive at school but she stopped me then...

Oh and she also asked me about my past times and I said music and we chatted about that for awhile. Then she asked me did I like television and since I didn't have anything prepared on that I just said it doesn't interest me. So then she asked me about the cinema and I was like feck, I can't say that doesn't interest me again so I managed one sentence and then kinda stopped and just said "Je suis désolée!" Ugh....

The rest of it was ok though I think. I didn't get asked anything about problems etc. I was just kind of annoyed about the television/cinema thing cause I was kinda under the impression that you prepare 2 past times (mine were sport and music) and you just chat about those...I don't know. I guess I should have just said that I was interested in sport instead of the cinema but I didn't think of that at the time. =/ I'm so going to beat myself up over this.

Anyway hopefully Irish will be better next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

My oral was fine, quite happy to be honest. I got in all about problems in my area and that took up a while, but i have irish next week and am not prepared at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭....shell....

my oral couldnt have gone worse!!i was first in after lunch and she started the tape and just as i went to read the sliocht my phone rang..it was on loud so instead of apologisin in irish i just went ooo ****! and turned it off..it threw me off and i moght as well have just got up and left i done so bad!!at one stage i actually whispered to her 'how do you say green?'....all in all i think i failed with flying colours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

my oral couldnt have gone worse!!i was first in after lunch and she started the tape and just as i went to read the sliocht my phone rang..it was on loud so instead of apologisin in irish i just went ooo ****! and turned it off..it threw me off and i moght as well have just got up and left i done so bad!!at one stage i actually whispered to her 'how do you say green?'....all in all i think i failed with flying colours :D

Oh, God love you!!!
    I don't mean to laugh, but :D
    (Sorry!) :o

(Hopefully you're pleasantly surprised in August)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

My Irish oral wasn't too bad. Had a bit of a laugh with the examiner in the end.
    I wrote up a post on it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 brownboots

does sanyone have a guy named Taigh??
    ive mine friday im so nervous about it.
    some people are sayin i dont need to know all bout politics and affairs and other people are sayin its important!!
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 CherrySugarPlum

I have my french oral today and i still have half the book to learn!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

oh my lord
    i almost threw up going right in before it
    but i talked about gaeltachts, des bishop, paisean faisean and got asked about the biggest problem in youth today and i was like oh ya it's alcohol cause bla bla bla and then he was like why and i blanked and said....ceapaim go bhfuil leadranach :|
    and then after then it was dooowwn hill :P
    oh well it's ordinary level anyway!

french on tuesday

Mine was ok,got asked easy stuff,as did my whole class,so its not that i did bad(hopefully),hardest thing i got asked was on problems in town on a saturday night.It was too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Had my German Oral yesterday. It went pretty well. For the picture i got "Handy in der Schule verboten" and for the rollplay I got "Im Restaurant". The general conversation was great. I just kept talking. She didn't ask me anything in the past tense so I kind of had to bring it in myself. The examiner was really nice. Just make sure if you are doing German to talk about as much as you can because there is only 5 minutes of general converstaion. Even though you won't lose marks for not mentioning everything, it's worth your while to get everything in even if its not directly related but try to keep somewhat to the point or he/she will interrupt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Yuugib wrote: »

Russian culture is known for vodka and russian roulette!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Rich89

Had my irish oral today, went grand. Except I used french once or twice but other than that it went fine! Some advice, avoid French class the day of your oral! Or Irish, in the case of a French/German oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Had my irish oral on tuesday...think it went well-ish. i read my sliocht (10) really well so was happy with that. Did the usual me, family town stuff.

Then she asked what i do 4 lunch every day n i said i got 2 the shop which lead to a discussion on healthy eating...eek!! :eek: Then out of the blu she asked me what i thought of the current health system...!! And what would i change if i was minister for health. Den she asked did i think irish was dying out and are people like des bishop making a mock of the language or helping it. Then i got asked about the drugs problem, the alcohol problem and why these were problems and who was to blame. :confused: Then she asked about foreigners in the town and whether or not they should get the same benefits as irish people. Also she asked y do young people feel under pressure today. o and finally about the internet, bebo and the dangers for young people online.

I didnt hav any of these prepared really, we did bertie, the education system and tibet. is it usual for this many topics to come up in one oral and is it a good or a bad thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

I have my french oral on Friday (Eek) and irish on Tuesday of next week. Hope I do as well as you all have! :D

Had my irish oral on tuesday...think it went well-ish. i read my sliocht (10) really well so was happy with that. Did the usual me, family town stuff.

Then she asked what i do 4 lunch every day n i said i got 2 the shop which lead to a discussion on healthy eating...eek!! :eek: Then out of the blu she asked me what i thought of the current health system...!! And what would i change if i was minister for health. Den she asked did i think irish was dying out and are people like des bishop making a mock of the language or helping it. Then i got asked about the drugs problem, the alcohol problem and why these were problems and who was to blame. :confused: Then she asked about foreigners in the town and whether or not they should get the same benefits as irish people. Also she asked y do young people feel under pressure today. o and finally about the internet, bebo and the dangers for young people online.

I didnt hav any of these prepared really, we did bertie, the education system and tibet. is it usual for this many topics to come up in one oral and is it a good or a bad thing??

I'm guessing you did very well if you got asked on all of that,and I'm thinking you're fluent or close to it.You got a nightmare oral though and I think its normal for that to happen as my teacher every one of those topics with us,and I actually wish I got that oral and not the easy one I got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

just had mine few mins ago..was grand.no problems..nothing hard..Sure she even asked me to describe school 3 times!!!!!!!!!!!memory like a fish

Advertisement