Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How was your oral? :D

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Had my french oral today, it went fairly well. Got asked about the Celtic Tiger, social problems, irish language, obesity, technology (and bebo) along with some of the usual stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

just had mine there a couple of hours ago. It was grand. I'd say i got a B3/C1. I definately got full marks in my sloicht and i'd say i got like 60% of the rest of the marks. I had a lovely celebratory smoke in the jacks afterwards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Had my French today... was alright, hadn't exactly prepared anything in specific. She asked pretty simple things.. about school and hobbies and what I did last summer and what I want to do in university and that stuff. I guess the most difficult thing I was asked was if Irish courses in the gaeltacht are a good thing...

Irish on Monday now, should be much better, I hope... Irish is much easier to speak than French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

alan4cult wrote: »
    Had my German Oral yesterday. It went pretty well. For the picture i got "Handy in der Schule verboten" and for the rollplay I got "Im Restaurant". The general conversation was great. I just kept talking. She didn't ask me anything in the past tense so I kind of had to bring it in myself. The examiner was really nice. Just make sure if you are doing German to talk about as much as you can because there is only 5 minutes of general converstaion. Even though you won't lose marks for not mentioning everything, it's worth your while to get everything in even if its not directly related but try to keep somewhat to the point or he/she will interrupt you.

I got Nachtliche Ruhestorung, and Interview fur die Schulerzeitung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Jakkass wrote: »
    I got Nachtliche Ruhestorung, and Interview fur die Schulerzeitung.
    How did you do in the general converstation? That Interview is a mouthful its so long. You have to admit though that the german oral is way easier than french! If you learn the roleplays and the pictures well you have 55-60% before you even go in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The general conversation was short, and she moved around to a lot of different questions in a short period, so I couldn't just have said what I learned off which is fair enough. I got asked about my family, how I get on with my sisters, my subjects in school, german class, my film (Untergang), future plans after the LC, and my experience in German speaking areas (I used Vienna for this).

I had the Interview fur die Schulerzeitung 4 times, from my orals in 5th year to my real one. I was well pleased. Talk about luck!

She asked me about Alcohol in Ireland and teenagers for the Opinion on Issue in the picture sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

meeka wrote: »
    Ugh, I had my French oral a couple of hours ago, it didn't go half as well as I had hoped.

The examiner didn't do the whole "presentez-vous" thing, or really let me say much at all, she just kept asking me questions. Really random questions that I would never have thought of beforehand, too ... So pretty much, I made up most of what I was saying on the spot, and it was probably all wrong...

Bleh. Hopefully I did better than I thought, but I kinda doubt it.

My french oral went exactly the same way as well. If i got a C i'd be over the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

My french oral went brilliant. Everything I got asked (drug problems, the job of teaching etc.) was asnwered to the near best of my ability.

It turns out, those who didn't bring in a document were actually far more happy with their orals than those who did decide to bring one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭oleary91

had my Irish oral yesterday...was easy:)asked me school rules,what time school starts and finishes,do i like the town,do i like kerry,favourite band,music,television,do i have alot of money in my bank lol,mobile phones,what i do at work,where i bought my holiday ticket,do i watch the champions league,do i go to the beach and some other things i cant remember...oh and i had sliocht 4

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Had Irish today, went extremely well, he only asked maybe 3 or 4 questions, the rest we were just chatting :) I'm guessing high 90s (Irish School :p )

Got Sliocht 9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 emilyc

Does the German oral go on for 15 minutes, like the Irish, or is it longer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

conzymaher wrote: »
    Had Irish today, went extremely well, he only asked maybe 3 or 4 questions, the rest we were just chatting :) I'm guessing high 90s (Irish School :p )

Got Sliocht 9

bit smug .... no???:mad::mad::pac::eek::o:rolleyes::):cool::D;):p:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Ughhhh! I had hoped my Irish oral would go really well cos I like speaking Irish and I've been to the Gaeltacht a good few years etc, but it didn't go that well at all!

I read the sliocht about Bidi Early, no 5 I think, and then my first question after it - straightaway - was about fairies, Irish people's belief in fairy stories, Fionna Mac Comhaill, leprechaun etc etc. Because the sliocht mentions fairies! It threw me a bit I have to say.

When I came out I just felt like I'd messed it up, and that I'd love to go back in and do it again because I feel like I should have showed off more.

:(

Hopefully French will be better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Had my irish oral on wednesday.. soo sooo happy with it. Got sliocht 1!! Easiest of the lot I think...
    I had an inspector sitting in on my exam aswell.
    I got social problem Qs : alcohol, drugs, got asked about Bertie, Mary Harney , education system, health system, elections in america .... Both said I was fluent... presume that means I got on quite well :o

German oral is designed to last roughly 20 minutes.
    It is the longest of the orals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Doppler

I did my Irish oral Thursday. I was great. Full marks!! We had a really nice woman. She more or less let us talk about whatever we wanted, so I spent over 10 minutes talking about politics! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭glenn3ie

My French was a bit of a disaster.

Not only did she not ask me any of the obscure topics (i.e. drugs, alcohol, global warming, pollution etc) that I had prepared there was also an inspector sitting in on my oral. I found it to be very off putting having someone sitting over my shoulder. Even though he was inspecting the examiner it was still off putting for me. It was like I was trying to impress the examiner and the examiner was trying to impress the inspector... Vicious triangle if you ask me ;)

Gotta move on to Irish amarach now so we'll see what happens!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

bit smug .... no???:mad::mad::pac::eek::o:rolleyes::):cool::D;):p:confused:

Oh dont worry, Im expecting low 20s in French :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 anie_bawny

:rolleyes: this will make you feel better....i went into my irish oral last tuesday and the examiner sad Cad as duit.
    me most educated reply was...taim go maith agus tusa.
    And yes,,,,somehow i am doing honours!it was the nerves,,i swear!ahem:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ccass1502

i'm depressed. our teacher has not half prepared us for the oral (irish). i could not cope if i was asked about the North or George Bush. Oral tomorrow...aaaggghhhh:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

lovely to hear yer all doing so well!lol!i had my french oral last tuesday,went great,at least i thought it did haha,got asked easy q's family,myself,school,next summer,yano all the usual yadayada

irish 2moro at 10',im bricking it!didnt do ne study for it as im not countin it,but im just thinkin about the awkward silences!im f'''kd any tips?lol

• Advertisement

Listen to Raidio na Gaeltachta/TG4 all night, get the blas on your ear. I was listening to RnaG a fair bit yesterday and I was dreaming in Irish last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

as i said my irish was 2day,got on much better then i expected!partially because the examiner was sound as ya like,put me at ease straight away!:),i got sliocht 8 and all that,so happy i never have to speak irish/french ever again!happy days!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MnMs

ya i had my french this morning...so glad i have it out of the way now
    he was sooo sound and didn't talk too fast...but he didn't ask me anything of the random topics

he asked me about drugs at ****** then violence in limerick and is it hard to be a secondary school teacher!!:eek:

he only spent a minute talking about my document and the it was over...i was sooo surprised it went soooo fast:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

had french this moring went good i think!!! he just let me talk about my document and he didnt ask anything about social problems!!!

Had my Irish today, went way better than French, feel really good about it. We got a lovely examiner, didn't ask anything tricky and it was just like a normal conversation, talking about school and college and the summer and all. Got sliocht a 9 too, can't complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

^Yeah, I had Irish today too.

Although ... yeah it wasn't so great! I got sliocht 10, the shortest (and possibly easiest) one, which went fine, but really, the rest of it was a bit ... yeah.

In fairness though, it was more my inability to speak Irish, rather than the examiner asking weird questions; they were alright I suppose. Oh well, I'm only in pass, and it only counts for 20%..

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

i just had a mock french oral today. i thought it was ****e cos i didnt study ma famille/ma carriere/les vacances etc... I just relied on whatever was left in my long term memory for those subjects and instead I concentrated on getting to grips with my document. But i still managed to get an A2!!!! woohoo. She said the main reason i got it was because of my accent. if you've got a good accent, it gives a good first impression and it raises the marks for each section, not just for the pronunciation section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

AAAAAAH FRENCH

he spent one minute on my document
    he was like oh u chose amy winehouse cause you like music?
    and i was like no i chose it because i think the problem of drugs is very grave among young people
    and he was like...so she's a singer!?
    and i was like yes a singer who takes drugs
    and then he asked me wat am i planning on doing next year :| bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

emilyc wrote: »
    Does the German oral go on for 15 minutes, like the Irish, or is it longer?
    Ya 15 mins, theres a lot to get done in just 15mins if you ask me.

I got my german oral friday, I'm really nervous because I need to get at least a C1 in German in my LC to get my college course...

I don't find general conversation a problem or the roll plays but the picture stories have me a bit worried, so much to learn and on top of that they ask future projection...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

I ended up doing my irish oral on my birthday! What are the odds...
    It kind of worked to my advantage, because she noticed what with my details in front ot her.i was going to bring in some cake to soften the mark haha.. She was lovely! Everyone in the year got above 140..that's the gaeltacht for you i suppose . meh.
    French now tomo..providing my voice heals a bit more lol.

Advertisement