Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How was your oral? :D

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ccass1502

what's up with this year's orals. they are suspiciously easy. in both irish and french all i was asked was the easy stuff like myself, family, town, school, future. no drugs, alcohol, what ifs. i had so much quality stuff prepd. WTF...Irish too, i was worried cuz our teacher did not prepare us fully but i was asked all the basics...not even school...:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Peleus wrote: »
    i just had a mock french oral today. i thought it was ****e cos i didnt study ma famille/ma carriere/les vacances etc... I just relied on whatever was left in my long term memory for those subjects and instead I concentrated on getting to grips with my document. But i still managed to get an A2!!!! woohoo. She said the main reason i got it was because of my accent. if you've got a good accent, it gives a good first impression and it raises the marks for each section, not just for the pronunciation section.

They tell you what result you got? I thought you were not supposed to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

JSK 252 wrote: »
    They tell you what result you got? I thought you were not supposed to know?

Just noticed, that particular post was about a mock french oral he did. Though someone else above stated that their whole year got over 140 in Irish, how do they know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

The Walsho wrote: »
    Just noticed, that particular post was about a mock french oral he did. Though someone else above stated that their whole year got over 140 in Irish, how do they know that?
    ye that was just a mock oral for me.

i'd say the other guy's examiner was so surprised that everyone did so well that she told one of the teachers that most people got over 140. i doubt she gave out all the individual results to people cos that's not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

ccass1502 wrote: »
    what's up with this year's orals. they are suspiciously easy. in both irish and french all i was asked was the easy stuff like myself, family, town, school, future. no drugs, alcohol, what ifs. i had so much quality stuff prepd. WTF...Irish too, i was worried cuz our teacher did not prepare us fully but i was asked all the basics...not even school...:confused::confused::confused:

yeah,it is pretty weird alrite,its the same in my school,wtf like!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Prepare for the written exam now :) It ll probably will cancell out in the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

i had my irish oral today, she kept me in for 20nóim!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hmm, we were told that nobody failed.. (well this was about half way through the first day of French, we heard nothing after that)
    I'd love to find out my oral marks, I think I did well in my Irish but I probably won't get a good result in August because my grammar in the essay always drags me down, so I'll never know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

yeah i think thats such a pain,that you never find out your marks after the orals,it shud by changed,a mon avis lol

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

to all interested:

yeah the examiner told our teacher that our gcuid gaeilinn was sar-mhaith seemingly..and then she leaked the lot to us hahah.This was before she was even through a third of the people really.

Also, when you are asked to sign the roll you can see the person above you's(who has just been marked) score . So everyone asked the person after them to check what they got lol. EXCEPT ME , really didnt wanna know.

Even the peolpe with crappy irish , and i mean bare vocab, poor structures etc did outstandingly. one girl who's not so great and has no blas really got 146 ! The repeat in our year was told straight away that she got 150 marks 100%. She was raised on irish though.
    One guy i know who did sweet FA for the oral got 138 and he was the lowest.

Now i'd love to know what I got in French.. she said afterwards that i did "fine" i was like "oh graysh"..:confused:

Whoever said it above about the questions being v easy i totally agree. i was annoyed i didnt get to show off what i had in my head. Feel like i didnt do myself justice you know? They didnt touch on anything icky in french. In irish one girl got asked about off licences and one girl got asked for directions to the fashion boutique she works in and that was as difficult as it got....
    perhaps they lowered the standards at the meetings this year! lol if only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just had my German Oral.I was brilliant,it wasnt easy but I did great.I'd say 80/90%,as i made a few grammar mistakes and only did ok on the opinion in the bildergeschicht part

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Had my French this morning. It went really well, got my two subjunctives in, but it was like everything I was saying was barely registering with him. I mean, like, I didn't really engage with the examiner in the same way I did in Irish. It seemed more stiff. That said, I didn't make many mistakes (that I know of!) so I'm really happy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

I just finished my German Oral this afternoon. And I have to say I am quite pleased with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Had my French oral on Tuesday. It was a bit strange. I mean, the examiner was so nice I didn't feel under any exam pressure at all, and we basically just had a nice chat. Such was the relaxed atmosphere that I didn't even remember to throw in any subjunctives. Still, I was in there for 15 minutes, and I didn't even bother doing a document - J'étais trop fainéant pour en connaitre par coeur, c'est a dire connaitre la vocabulaire qui était concernant le document que j'avais choisi..

[reason for edit: I'm very picky about my French. Damn mess-ups >_<. Serves me right for trying to show off..]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

Just had my french today, threw in a few subjunctives, but since i've been getting flashbacks of all the little pieces i got wrong! Ah well, all that pressure is gone!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nikkic2

irish was dead easy i flew through it
    french was shocking the examiner was lovely but i didnty have a clue what she was saying possibly cos i havent had a french teacher in my school since last april ie april 07:eek::eek::eek::eek: by the by what are subjuntives??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eoinalmighty

Absolutely horrible! My document was a picture of me in an orchestra and she asked me did I know everyone in the picture and then asked me bout the school of music in cork ( I live in wexford and told her I go to the academy in Dublin!) And continued to ask me what I thought about cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

nikkic2 wrote: »
    irish was dead easy i flew through it
    french was shocking the examiner was lovely but i didnty have a clue what she was saying possibly cos i havent had a french teacher in my school since last april ie april 07:eek::eek::eek::eek: by the by what are subjuntives??

The subjunctive is a tense, like the passé composé, imparfait, futur etc. It's not as commonly used in English [an example would be "It is necessary that he face a trial" - note 'face' rather than 'faces'] but is considered impressively technical when used in French by someone learning the language.

I know all this and yet I never used a single subjunctive in my oral.. il se peut que je sois un peu stupide pour avoir fait ça >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

My Irish went great, a lot better than expected. French was a disaster though, I got some really awkward questions that I was just dumbfounded by. Oh well, it's once little bit more out of the way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

The lady we goy for our frenchoal was pure sound.. she told the whole year that she wasn going to ask us anthing topical or antin so it was grand... at the end she turned off the tape and said my level of french was excellent and not to worry:D:D

:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

My French was great. The examiner was really young and friendly, she let me ramble on for ages. I managed to throw in a few subjunctives and she seemed really interested in my document.

My Irish went alright, but she didn't ask me any hard questions, which kind of threw me. She kept on easy school/family/area/job stuff for ages, then asked me what I liked to eat and that was it. I didn't even get asked the Modh Choinniloch (sp?) which was very odd, although only one girl in the whole year got that. I think I did alright, though. My sliocht went brilliantly, got the easiest (Sliocht 1), there were no awkward silences and I kept talking. She was kind of a bitch though, she asked me what my favourite school subject was and I started talking about how much I love languages, especially French and then I said I want to be a French teacher when I left school. She lifted one eyebrow and said, in a really sneery tone of voice, "You'll have to go to college first, you know". :pac:

Advertisement