Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer recording software

Options
  • 07-04-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right area to post this, but whats the best recording software out there? I had n-Track studio for a few years and it could only do so much, wasn't bad but it was limited in plugins without having to pay ridiculous prices for 3rd party plugins.

Software will only be used for guitar and voice tracks, have a decent sound card and the guitar hooked up through the line in, and voice through a mic. All i need now is decent software!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Hey! There's a whole forum on Music Production, but if you're new, I'd go with Reaper. It's totally free and has some great plug-ins. You may have latency issues (lag/delay) if you're using a standard sound-blaster esque audio driver; you may want to look at ASIO4ALL. But recording acoustics and vocals is easy to get into, so you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Reaper all the way. I love this program. http://www.reaper.fm/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

It's totally free

It isn't free at all.

It's $50 for private use and $225 for commercial use. The company is doing the decent thing by letting you evaluate the program for as long as you need with full functionality. They are trusting the user to do the right thing, which is pretty unique in the DAW industry. It is excellent value, so please pay for it if you use it regularly - programmers have to eat too.

squibs wrote: »
    It isn't free at all.

It's $50 for private use and $225 for commercial use. The company is doing the decent thing by letting you evaluate the program for as long as you need with full functionality. They are trusting the user to do the right thing, which is pretty unique in the DAW industry. It is excellent value, so please pay for it if you use it regularly - programmers have to eat too.

"As long as you need"....supposing I need forever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

[FONT=Verdana, Arial][/FONT]
    "As long as you need"....supposing I need forever?

My opinion? I would see that as being very close to using cracked cubase. I wouldn't borrow a guitar forever, to evaluate it for purchase.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]"REAPER is provided with full functionality, and will not expire after any period of time. We trust that you, the user, will obey the license agreement and purchase a license if use continues."[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Advertisement

My opinion? I would see that as being very close to using cracked cubase. I wouldn't borrow a guitar forever, to evaluate it for purchase.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]"REAPER is provided with full functionality, and will not expire after any period of time. We trust that you, the user, will obey the license agreement and purchase a license if use continues."[/SIZE][/FONT]

If I recall, you and I are generally of the same opinion when it comes to legit vs cracked software. However, if someone is going to avail of a free sequencer, I'd much rather they use Reaper than a cracked version of Cubase 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Lurcher

Audacity. Works a treat with any AC'97 card/chip and post-production gizmos should be enough for anyone. It's not a sequencer. It's not Fruity Loops. It is a multi-track recorder that will take input from anything that goes through your sound chip. Handy for laying down bass & drums in midi (I still use Evolution lite) if you have a reasonable wave table system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

It isn't free at all.

Fair's fair! I agree. Euro 32 isn't going to break anyone's bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Lets keep it to the point lads. Moral issues are another topic. I also recomend reaper, some great functions and a very very very competetive price. Thats a price an absolute beginner should be willing to pay and im not sure anyone here should be looking to do a company who is playing ball the way reaper is.

Advertisement