Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transmit alarm signal via wireless

Options
  • 07-04-2008 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

Apologies if the title is slightly misleading, or posted in the wrong forum. But I’m looking for some guidance from you electronic gurus out there.

My parents have a sewage treatment plant at the end of the garden (www.envirocare.ie). It gave trouble recently, and the folks (in their late 70’s) had to drive down to the public loo in the local village until the problem was sorted. We managed to set the system back in action. When I downloaded the literature for the system I noted that we could retrofit a common alarm beacon that would alert of a power loss, high level or drop in air pressure. We’ve ordered this kit and it will be retrofitted shortly.

But the tank is at the bottom of the garden, behind some thick bushes. So if the beacon is activated we’re not guaranteed to see it. So here’s my query: can I get a wireless system to relay the alarm to the house ?. Tthis would be much easier than laying a cable from the house to the tank. Basically I’m thinking of Component A, a wireless transmitter, that will be wired across the beacon in the back yard. Then Component B, the receiver and alarm, that will be installed in the kitchen. Component A will be powered by the sewage system, and Component B by the house 220 volt supply,

If any of you can point me to a product (Radionics, Maplin, etc) then it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Maplins have a kit with will do this. It has a transponder that can be connected to your beacon wiring (either semi-powered or relay with battery) and a mains powered alarm. It's got a 50 metre range as far as I remember.

Sorry but I don't know the actual product name and SKU - you'll have to look through their catalogue or try to explain to their clueless staff.

If you can't find it, then ask about a variation that uses an IR detector to signal the alarm - it might be with the alarm stuff.

Advertisement