Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary expectation

Options
  • 07-04-2008 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi guys,
    I'm a programmer with 5 years of experience. I've mostly developed in php and java, using and managing mysql dbms. I've also managed linux and windows servers, and I have some experience using asp (not asp.net), and c# for standalone applications.
    I moved in Ireland 4 months ago (I am italian), and now, after a period as a freelance developer, it's time to have a contract with my company (the same that I've been working with for 4 months).
    I'm developing web application using Ruby on Rails (no experience in my precedent italian jobs), and I have also to work with some linux servers, manage mysql databases and do tests.

How much can I ask?

I thought something like 35000...it is too much?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Depending on the company/location - I would think that 35k would sound ok. I was thinking 30k-40k while reading your post. My advise, if you want 35k, go in at 40k. I've never gotten a job in Ireland without negotiating the salary. Always go a little higher. They'll probably offer 30k and then you can meet half way at what you wanted in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 robydrupo

Thank you for your suggestion DJB, I'll do in that way.
    Anyway, it is a small company in the Dublin city centre(< 10 people). It is not easy for me because I don't know exactly the Irish market values for my position! :)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Roberto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I'd be looking to get 40+. You should be able to get at least 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is this the same company you have been contracting for? If so, that may give you an idea of what they are going to pay. If you're going full time remember that you now get at least 20 days off a year, PRSI paid for, and maybe some other benefits (healthcare, pension etc) that you may not get as a contractor, so take that into account.

Yes eoin_s, you're right...I have to check everything.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

5 years experience - €35K seems low to me.

maybe, but I am a foreigner...and my english is not perfect. I have also to consider that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 feelyd

Just posted this on a previous thread so the same advices applys.

Check out IrishJobs, they have a link for salary survey, which links into a section called "Workwise".
    They have all the IT skill and averages wage for each skillset.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

35k???? :eek:

all lads come on, he has 5 yrs experience, you should be looking for at least 50k. this really f**Ks me off in the software industry, its hard work being a coder or an analyst yet there is still some shockingly bad salaries being offered to people

im on close to 60k and i only have 3 yrs exp.

feelyd wrote: »
    Just posted this on a previous thread so the same advices applys.

Check out IrishJobs, they have a link for salary survey, which links into a section called "Workwise".
    They have all the IT skill and averages wage for each skillset.

I know feelyd, I had a look at that page but I could just see "from this salary to this" and it is not really useful...ok I could have an idea but there are too many variables in each career to simply have a look to that table and decide how much to ask.

• Advertisement

35k???? :eek:

all lads come on, he has 5 yrs experience, you should be looking for at least 50k. this really f**Ks me off in the software industry, its hard work being a coder or an analyst yet there is still some shockingly bad salaries being offered to people

im on close to 60k and i only have 3 yrs exp.

think that in my old company, in Italy, I earned around 1000 (without taxes) per month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Right... don't tell anyone that.. Especially any future employer, if you have 5yrs experience then 45k IMO i have seen people with 3yrs get jobs of 40k... It all depends on how well you sell yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Right... don't tell anyone that.. Especially any future employer, if you have 5yrs experience then 45k IMO i have seen people with 3yrs get jobs of 40k... It all depends on how well you sell yourself

exactly it really is a sales pitch, if you think your worth it then you need to make them see it. Maybe 35k-40k are the typical salaries for php and java people as there are alot of people out there with those skills...i dont know. if thats the case id be looking at skilling up in a niche area if i were you. it is depressing to think that after 5 yrs wrecking your head with code that the market only thinks your worth that money...

Advertisement