Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions about houseshares

Options
  • 07-04-2008 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello everybody!

I have a few questions about houseshares/flatshares:

1) How long would it take to find a houseshare/flatshare in the Dublin area? Is ten days or two weeks realistic?

2) Is May/June a good period in the year to go houseshare hunting? If not, what month(s) would be the best to go looking for a houseshare?

3) Is it realistic to hope to find a houseshare without having a job yet? (Is it frequent that landlords require that prospective tenants produce evidence of current employment as a guarantee? Because I actually intend to settle in Ireland first, then look for a job.)

4) Is being a foreigner (French, to be precise) often considered a liability by landlords?

5) Apart from houseshares, are there any other affordable long-term renting solutions? (My guess is there aren't.)

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Long live the Emerald Isle!
    Long live Guinness beer!

AnxM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Regarding the length of time, it really depends on what your looking for? If your not picky and have a reasonable budget you should find somehting in a day or two. If you have a long list of criteria and a very limited budget it could take you a while. [you get the idea?]

You dont want to live with people for whom your nationality or langauage is an issue! So ignore them full stop! [Im irish, and I would not live with them!]

Check out www.daft.ie for lettings and all types of shares. Its busy all year round from what I know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AnxM

Hi vAGGABOND,

Yep, I get the idea. Actually, I don't think I'm too picky...

OK, I know the daft.ie site, I'll rely on that when I'll start my accommodation search...

Thanks very much for your reply!

AnxM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

There is an evening paper called "The Evening Herald" which used to be good for house shares, although I think Daft at this stage is way ahead. 2 weeks should be ok I would think. Being foreign should not matter, there are loads of foreign people here. Not having a job might matter a little, but if you explain it, you should be fine

Good luck with the hunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AnxM

Cool, Patrickolee!

Thanks a lot for your insight!

AnxM

Advertisement