Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware - Con Man

Options
  • 07-04-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

A good few weeks ago now I was approached on Dawson Street by a very camp, teary eyed bloke. The first question he asked was "Are you Irish?" He then went on the say something along the lines of:

"I wouldn't normally do this, I'm so embarassed, but I've just had a massive fight with my boyfriend and he's driven off on me with my wallet and everything and I've no money money to get home. I've no way to get to Enfield. SO sorry to ask..." etc etc

I really thought he was genuine, but I had no change on me and only a 20euro note, far too much for a poor student to be given away!! I felt sorry for him though and even told my friends about this poor distraught chap...

Anyway, yesterday I open the Metro newpaper, and on the letters page was someone writing in in response to a previous letter about this guy!!! These two unfortunates did give him cash in the end!! I was so shocked he was a con, he really seemed genuine, down to the teary eyes!!!

So beware folks, DO NOT fall for his sob story!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There was a topic on here a while back about the same guy afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Sorry! I did a search, but obviously didn't put the correct terms in or something, but he's obviously still on the mooch according to the Metro letter, so the more people that know, the better right???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I could be wrong mind you. And ofcourse the more people who know the better, now lets hope he's tries it on the wrong person and gets a hiding.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

daisy123 wrote: »
    "I wouldn't normally do this, I'm so embarassed, but I've just had a massive fight with my boyfriend and he's driven off on me with my wallet and everything and I've no money money to get home. I've no way to get to Enfield. SO sorry to ask..." etc etc

So he's gay? :confused:
    Not judging, just asking so I understand the story

It isn't every day a lad tells you about their boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

micmclo wrote: »

no of course not. not at all...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Maybe one day he'll bumps into a fellow gay from enfield, who'll offer to take him home :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

micmclo wrote: »

Maybe he is gay, maybe he isn't ... it may be he found it useful as a 'hook' for his scam, as many people would not like to be considered homophobic, particularly to a overtly camp person in some distress, and so might be more likely to fall for the act.

If you take the gay out of it ... would you believe the same story from a non-camp person ? Depends on how soft/gullible you are.

If it was me, I'd like to think I'd hand over a few bob, if I thought it was on the level ... cos it might be me that needs a strangers charity some day.

I'd always try and 'fix' it though ... "that's awful, is there anyone you'd like me to call to collect you ? family or friends ?" ... something a genuine person would take up, and a scam artist will shine on.

If it's a scam, it's only a few bob, if it's not a scam ... maybe you've helped someone in need.

The fact that scam-artists are alive and well is testament to ... some level of decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Almost brought a teat to my eye, trout ;)

Very admirable

Note - if that sounds sarcastic it wasn't meant to be

Collie D wrote: »
    Almost brought a teat to my eye, trout ;)

I'm very sure you meant to say tear ... didn't you ? :rolleyes: (teat ... hehe hehehe)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

trout wrote: »
    I'm very sure you meant to say tear ... didn't you ? :rolleyes: (teat ... hehe hehehe)

I did indeed. Mother obvioulsy didn't breastfeed me..or maybe she breastfed me too much. Either way, it's all coming out now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I would have brought him to Busaras and bought him a ticket to Enfield and made sure he boarded the bus! :pac:

I would have brought him to Busaras and bought him a ticket to Enfield and made sure he boarded the bus! :pac:

Oh ... that's a little harsh ... sending him to Enfield ... even if he is a con-man ;)

But as a girl on her own, even if he wasn't the most masculine chap in the world, I wouldn't be going anywhere with a stranger - me mammy taught me well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

daisy123 wrote: »
    But as a girl on her own
    Just wondering - is he only approaching girls with this story?

Just wondering - is he only approaching girls with this story?

One of the Metro letters was from a chap with a man's name, but sure you don't know with the Metro!!! The other letter was from two women. I'd say it is a majority of women, due to the MO of this guy. I mean, we're less likely to bash him for being gay, and maybe more sympathetic to boyfriend problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Healio wrote: »
    Maybe one day he'll bumps into a fellow gay from enfield, who'll offer to take him home :pac:

Haha, Post of the month! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

ah sure I think the con man buzz is on the rise, remember the Armani jackets?

fs

:confused:

Advertisement