Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Mic pre and need some good advice

Options
  • 07-04-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

API 512C?

I have around a 1000 bucks, anyone have any advice please? I am doing an album and want something better than the Focusrite Octopre?

SSL XLOGIC ALPHA CHANNEL?

Well any advice would be so sound?

Cheers

Davinio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

There's one way to make that decision! Try em!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    There's one way to make that decision! Try em!!

Well would you look who it is! You can buy both of these for under a G ! I want something with a bit off swizzle to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Gonna be more than a G' Dav. I'd hold yer horses for a bit and see then, remember you will still be going into a AD convertor unless you go for something with a digital out.

Meanwhile have a look at this: early bird infact look at all their products

If you really must though,
    I thought this was a pretty decent box for the price here

Have that other for you this week too...

studiorat wrote: »
    Gonna be more than a G' Dav. I'd hold yer horses for a bit and see then, remember you will still be going into a AD convertor unless you go for something with a digital out.

Meanwhile have a look at this: early bird infact look at all their products

If you really must though,
    I thought this was a pretty decent box for the price here

Have that other for you this week too...

Hey Studio Rat,
    I like the look of both, I need one within 2 weeks and then it is show time. Is the Portico 5012 any good because I am on to a guy here who is selling one? Cheers

Yours, (I am just a wee swizzle)
    Dav

dav nagle wrote: »
    Hey Studio Rat,
    I like the look of both, I need one within 2 weeks and then it is show time. Is the Portico 5012 any good because I am on to a guy here who is selling one? Cheers

Your fool
    Dav

If the API came with an A to D convertor!!!!
    With your rig, I'd go for something with a digital out, save you going through the 002 line amps after the mic pre. Dunno the Portico 5012, it's only new to the market, how come the thing is for sale in the first place?
    A session in the studio would be a good opportunity to try a few different mic amps, maybe you could contact some different dealers to let you try different ones through out the whole session!!!

I dunno if you'll get a really big step up from what you are using for a grand either. What mic will you be using through the new toy?

Oh yeah! And it's one word Dav. studiorat, studiorat geddit!!! Sheesh!

• Advertisement

If the API came with an A to D convertor!!!!
    With your rig, I'd go for something with a digital out, save you going through the 002 line amps after the mic pre. Dunno the Portico 5012, it's only new to the market, how come the thing is for sale in the first place?
    A session in the studio would be a good opportunity to try a few different mic amps, maybe you could contact some different dealers to let you try different ones through out the whole session!!!

I dunno if you'll get a really big step up from what you are using for a grand either. What mic will you be using through the new toy?

Oh yeah! And it's one word Dav. studiorat, studiorat geddit!!! Sheesh!

Sorry studiorat,

I will be using an SE Gemeni Dual valve condenser love bomb!! The guy that is selling the 5012 is spending mega bucks on an original neve 1073 at 4000. The guy selling the 5012 has used it on many ''big sounding'' albums and he claims his clients love the big sound. I will go in line in using 2 xlr's cables to my digi 002. It sounds like a good thing ?

Sorry studiorat,

I will be using an SE Gemeni Dual valve condenser love bomb!! The guy that is selling the 5012 is spending mega bucks on an original neve 1073 at 4000. The guy selling the 5012 has used it on many ''big sounding'' albums and he claims his clients love the big sound. I will go in line in using 2 xlr's cables to my digi 002. It sounds like a good thing ?

It's still going through a second mic amp that way. What convertor was he using on his big sounding album? The problem here is you will still be running a signal through the microphone amps that you are trying to avoid in the first place.

Don't believe the hype!

It's still going through a second mic amp that way. What convertor was he using on his big sounding album? The problem here is you will still be running a signal through the microphone amps that you are trying to avoid in the first place.

Don't believe the hype!

Yeah you right
    He was using the Apogee Rosette 200 which again is more $$$ that I don't have . I might just have to settle for something like the channel 1 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Brint

I use a Behringer Tube Ultragain Vintager Series (T1953), and it's sweet!

240645.jpg

Got it from Turnkey UK a few years ago. They're only GBP£100 now!
    http://www.turnkey.co.uk/product/behringer-tube-ultragain-t1953/

Brint wrote: »

240645.jpg

Hey Brint ,

You are taking the mic right? Is this not a valve compressor? I am looking for a pre. These things are hardly professional?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Brint

Hey Brint ,

You are taking the mic right? Is this not a valve compressor? I am looking for a pre. These things are hardly professional?
    It's a tube pre-amp.

It's a tube pre-amp.

Cheers for the info :)

You should know this isn't a tube mike preamp. It's a chip-based mike preamp with a tube in it. The tube isn't operated like a tube, and doesn't sound like a tube. It's basically just a distortion pedal for microphones. It's what's called a starved plate design. Probably a few leds to make the valves glow too!!!

don't believe the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Save up a little extra for an API A2D?

teamdresch wrote: »

A reasonable rule of thumb to maximise your signal chain might be to match your condenser mics value to your mic pre's value.

Has anyone heard, or own, the APIs? It's a brand I do have access to but haven't explored.

teamdresch wrote: »

Thanks for the reply,

I am wondering why you recommend this unit (API A2D?)? It doesn't have optical out, would I have to s/pdif it out to my digi 002?

Cheers

240645.jpg

I wonder why they're £100........... anyone any ideas?

I wonder why they're £100........... anyone any ideas?

Now lets not tear this piece of rubbish apart!! Back to the subject!

Just destroyed my ornament:l_b0e4daf5010b4b869c5616ee50a8d65b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

I have an API 3124 (same preamps) and it's wonderful on just about everything.
    From what I hear, the converters in the A2D sound very nice, so you'd be sorted.
    Using SPDIF would probably be better anyway, at least that way you've still got your optical in/outs available - unless that's a problem with your setup.

• Advertisement

Just destroyed my ornament:l_b0e4daf5010b4b869c5616ee50a8d65b.jpg

Probably sounds better now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Just destroyed my ornament
    Probably sounds better now?

Hehe :D

cornbb wrote: »
    Hehe :D

I taught it was a funny thing to do!! I have been meaning to destroy it for ages but it is a real honor that you all can see my appetite for destruction on Boards!!!!

Peace out

Dr.Swizzle

You should send it back for repair now.......:)

My 60% fat brain has come to the decision that the portico 5012 is the one for me. I will buy A/D converters at a later stage. Keep you pipes clean and thanks for all the contribution to everyone...

Swizzle me timbers...

Advertisement