Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Think i might purchase an x-box

• 07-04-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is anyone doing any god deals on the x-box lately. Thinking of trading in my psp for one. Would i even get anything for the Psp at trade in price? Also would you lads reckon that the xbox is just as good as the ps3? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

gamestop, i think they are called (opposite virgin in blanchardstown center) at selling second hand ones for €150 which I think is good value. And lots of second hand games around for it too.
    A fair few good game already out on the xbox - forza 2, gears of war, bioshock halo3, and a few comming too - fable 2, gta iv (also will be on ps3).
    depends what you like - you wont see metal gear solid, wipeout or mario on the xbox, imo you wont see many fantastic platformers but do get great shooters and racers. not sure how good the soccer game or fighters are on either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Icaras wrote: »
    gamestop, i think they are called (opposite virgin in blanchardstown center) at selling second hand ones for €150 which I think is good value. And lots of second hand games around for it too.
    A fair few good game already out on the xbox - forza 2, gears of war, bioshock halo3, and a few comming too - fable 2, gta iv (also will be on ps3).
    depends what you like - you wont see metal gear solid, wipeout or mario on the xbox, imo you wont see many fantastic platformers but do get great shooters and racers. not sure how good the soccer game or fighters are on either.

i have my wii for mario etc. Just would like to play some more serious games. the ps3 is a bit too much so i might just go for the xbox

lads and i was onto gamestop and they are doing a deal for €199. its not the premium deal with no internet connections, but i dont really need the internet anyways as i have internet on the wii and dont use it. I just want it for GTA 4 really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

TBH, if I were you I would get one with a net connection. Some of the best fun (and worst too might I add) has been playing some of the games I have online (Burnout Mostly). It also allows for downloadable content for some games (which includes content exclusive to XBOX for GTA4 later this year might I add) and also the contents of xbox live arcade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

All versions are able to connect to the internet/live, the cheaper one just does not have a hard drive

• Advertisement

brav wrote: »
    All versions are able to connect to the internet/live, the cheaper one just does not have a hard drive

and the diffrernce is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

stevoman wrote: »
    and the diffrernce is?

you cant save stuff or download content

an extra 60 quid gets you the harddrive and 4 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Helix wrote: »

Or use certain expansion packs such as Shivering Isles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I thought it came with a memory card so you could still save games and download a few arcade games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

marathont wrote: »
    I thought it came with a memory card so you could still save games and download a few arcade games.

you wont be able to download anything of any great size tho

i mean, for the sake of 60 bills youd be mad in the head to go for the arcade over the premium imo

• Advertisement

My fiancee bought me an X Box 360 premium for my birthday last year, and I can honestly say it's the best present I was ever given. I'm by no means biased - I have a PSP, and previously owned a PS2 (now bequeathed to my sister!).

A couple of reasons for this:

1.) Most important, any amount of killer games - Gears of War, Halo 3, Oblivion etc.

2.) X-Box live, by all accounts far superior to the Playstation Network.

3.) The X Box live arcade - loads of cheap retro games!

As for the PS3 vs the 360, a couple of things to consider:

PS3 is probably a superior console in terms of hardware, i.e it has wireless built in, no noise etc, larger basic hard-drive.
    To counter this I'll say that the extra price you pay for the wireless dongle for the 360 will still be withing the price you'd pay for a basic PS3.
    I've downloaded 18+ games on my 20GB hard drive, and still have over 10 GB free, so 20GB is plenty of space in my opinion.

X Box Live is what takes the X Box to the next level.

All in all, I think an X Box is an investment that you'll never (hopefully) regret! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

i mean, for the sake of 60 bills youd be mad in the head to go for the arcade over the premium imo

Agreed, you wouldn't get a ferrari with a nippy 1.4 litre runabout engine for good city economy in it! (Although that would look good and save on the pocket :D)

Some of the more popular games take up a huge chunk of the memory card anyway, you'd be restricting yourself hugely in your game choice.

Also if your serious about playing online you'll need the HDD for downloading map packs etc.

Not to mention you must have it to play xbox games.

well i bought the xbox arcade with 2 games and a second crontroller for 230. not bad. had a good think a realised i dont really need thatmuch memory ar anything seeming that i will only be playing about 2 games at any givin time. hope i enjoy it now. thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭madscone

where abouts did you get that deal??

madscone wrote: »
    where abouts did you get that deal??

In my local gamestop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭TheDonMan

Don't get the arcade, get the premium far better value in long run. With the hard drive you can cache data (making games run smoother) get down loadable content(including dlc for gta iv) and you will never have to worry about buying more memory cards. Trust me, get the premium or you will probably regret it.

Advertisement