Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick eircom query

Options
  • 07-04-2008 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought a house recently and decided to see what the story was with the phone sockets on the wall. Tested one - dial tone but couldn't ring out. Rang eircom and they reconnected it for free (some offer they were running).

Does this mean I'm locked into an eircom contract for 12 months. The reason I ask is because I want to get broadband installed and would rather use esatBT (because eircom don't do a 3MB bundle). If I do this will I incur penalty charges from eircom?

Thanks.

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

You didn't sign anything and they didn't tell you over the phone, so they cannot hold you to a contract like that. Change provider as quickly as possible as it can still take some time even in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You can switch to BT once you get your account number (which eircom tend to delay for as long as possible and refuse to give out over the phone.. you know, all the dirty tricks they can get away with). There won't be a penalty for changing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cgarvey wrote: »
    You can switch to BT once you get your account number (which eircom tend to delay for as long as possible and refuse to give out over the phone.. you know, all the dirty tricks they can get away with). There won't be a penalty for changing.

There are legitimate reasons for not giving out account numbers over the phone.

Besides it could be quite a favour to be delayed on the way to the mysterious ways of the BT accounts dept!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭remoteboy

@cgarvey - you were right there, they wouldn't give me the account number but they have stuck a copy in the post. So a few more days and I should be able to look at my options.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Best

R

dub45 wrote: »
    There are legitimate reasons for not giving out account numbers over the phone.
    As in account security? I don't buy that as a reason, if so. There are other (better) ways to authenticate.

Besides it's only when BitStream started to gain traction that this suddenly became an issue. Up until then (even in the days of CPS dodgy tricks) it was simple to get your account number after sign up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As in account security? I don't buy that as a reason, if so. There are other (better) ways to authenticate.

Just because you don't agree with it does not mean it is not a valid reason.
    Besides it's only when BitStream started to gain traction that this suddenly became an issue. Up until then (even in the days of CPS dodgy tricks) it was simple to get your account number after sign up.

Lots of things have happened apart from Bitstream gaining traction such as the whole identity theft thing. Lots of businesses have become more careful in how they handle information.

The poster has stated that Eircom have stuck the number in the post where are the dirty tricks there?:rolleyes:

Dirty tricks are where eircom deliberately delay the sending of the new account number for a number of weeks. This delay was introduced post identity-theft campaigns, post common Irish bank phishing attacks, post Data Protection Act, etc. If you don't believe that, talk to a few people who have got a line recently and see how quickly they can change over (i.e. when they actually get their number).

Advertisement