Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Homes etc etc - any recommendations?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone any recommendations of businesses/people who deal with the installation of technology into a house e.g surround sound, piping music/radio throughout house etc.

We are in the midlands.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most electricians can do it. The bits they can't do, they hire someone in for a day. Installing substantial amounts of computer cabling can be dirt cheap in a new house, but audio (cable ahs to be high quality) can be really expensive, even for a room or two.

Moved from Interior Design & Decoration to Electrical.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Guy looking for something along your lines lad here on this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055271420

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Avoid smarthomes, their prices are ridiculous. I spoke with them at the last Ideal Homes exhibition & then got talking to a fella on a site one day who uses this stuff (hes ex smart homes & still does a few domestics as nixers)

http://www.legrand.co.uk/ (pdf catalogue available on-site)

He says smarthomes effectively use the same product but with a few coloured cables & voila, a 100% plus mark up on actual costs. This guy is based in the North East but I'm sure a local sparks would be able to advise you on which way to go if you printed off that catalogue & gave him a brief on what you would like to go with. I could ask him for ya if your not getting anywhere with "locals" as I bump into him on jobs once or twice a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

These guys were at the Ideal Homes also...
    http://www.wiredhome.ie/multiroom%20audio.html

I heard the same about smarthomes. Just spraypainted faceplates and terminal blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

BreeVdK wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone any recommendations of businesses/people who deal with the installation of technology into a house e.g surround sound, piping music/radio throughout house etc.

We are in the midlands.

Thanks.

hhtp://www.irishhomenet.com
    this or similar is what you need

• Advertisement

try instacom.there based in sandyford.ive worked with them in in the past and they do good work.if you have the money that is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hi Bree

If you're just looking at distributing music around the house then you can't go wrong with loads of CAT5e/6 - or you can use wireless options like Sonos, Squeezebox etc. - these can also be run wired.

Same goes for streaming video. Get it all back to a central location and you can put in network storage, switches, etc.

Maybe run some OFC speaker cable above the battens around the main TV rooms for 7.1 or ceiling speakers.

Run high-quality co-axial cables for satellite TV distribution.

I have no experience of controlling lights, curtains etc.

SSE

Advertisement