Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Ireland Cycling Holiday

Options
  • 07-04-2008 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing a cycling holiday this summer for a change of pace and just getting away from it all to be honest.

The Idea is to do a loop of the country and take approximately 2 weeks so the plan so far is :-

Day :-
    1) Annamoe (home - Wicklow) - Wexford
    2) Waterford
    3) Cork
    4) Kerry
    5) Limerick
    6) Galway
    7) Mayo
    8) Donegal
    9) Derry
    10) Antrim
    11) Ardee
    12) Annamoe (130km - too much ?)

Two days extra for mishaps - flat tires, crap weather etc.

Is this overly ambitious?
    What do you think, is it doable?
    Are there any tried and trusted routes that you could fit into weeks starting out in Dublin or Wicklow?

Any comments or advice gladly taken on board.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I'd stick to the regional roads (i.e. the ones designated "R"-something) rather than the national ("N") roads, where possible. They'll be quieter and nicer to cycle on.
    Longfield wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing a cycling holiday this summer for a change of pace and just getting away from it all to be honest.

The Idea is to do a loop of the country and take approximately 2 weeks so the plan so far is :-

Day :-
    1) Annamoe (home - Wicklow) - Wexford
    2) Waterford
    3) Cork
    4) Kerry
    5) Limerick
    6) Galway
    7) Mayo
    8) Donegal
    9) Derry
    10) Antrim
    11) Ardee
    12) Annamoe (130km - too much ?)

Two days extra for mishaps - flat tires, crap weather etc.

Is this overly ambitious?
    What do you think, is it doable?
    Are there any tried and trusted routes that you could fit into weeks starting out in Dublin or Wicklow?

Any comments or advice gladly taken on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

Hi
    Follow the coast Dublin - Bray - Wicklow -Brittas Bay- Arklow - Courtown - Curracloe.

I did a 1,730km loop last August Dublin around south coast and up to Wesport.
    The 1 st day was the hardest. I felt great every day afterwards, you will be amazed at what your body can do when it is in a ryhthm.

I didn't get a single puncture, hopefully you will have the same luck.

GO FOR IT!!!! It's the best thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMkXv9q3xMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk4-4MPQkio&feature=user

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks , that guy has a brilliant montage of pictures there..but wtf - "Btw none of the photo's were taken in Wicklow, the locals get hostile to the camera. They think their souls were being captured..

Why did he say that!

Anyhow, I'm going to keep aiming for that cycle journey.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks , that guy has a brilliant montage of pictures there..but wtf - "Btw none of the photo's were taken in Wicklow, the locals get hostile to the camera. They think their souls were being captured..

Why did he say that!

Anyhow, I'm going to keep aiming for that cycle journey.

It was me on the cycle....
    That's a friend from work who commented, he's from Wicklow, we were just having a banter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

supertramp wrote: »
    It was me on the cycle....
    That's a friend from work who commented, he's from Wicklow, we were just having a banter

Heh, fair enough.

Thats a seriously impressive set of pics, fair play.

What camera did you use and how did you store so many images?

• Advertisement

Heh, fair enough.

Thats a seriously impressive set of pics, fair play.

What camera did you use and how did you store so many images?

Thanks!
    It was a Casio exilim digital camera, 8.1 mp and x3 optical zoom ( the same as the average digital camera ) and I had a 1gb memory card. It's actually broken now, so I don't know how good casio are...
    I think it was about 350 photo's I took, and they all fit onto the memory. Take as many as you can, you can always delete the ones you don't want that evening when stopped.

Oh and have you allowed for rest days? I took 2 on mine, so it was broken to 5-4-3 days in a row. I would have 3 if I did what you plan..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd like to do something like that this year. I'm away alot with work, so on my holidays the last thing I want to do is get on a plane.
    Was thinking of Malin Head to Mizen Head. Any input on that?

Advertisement