Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo Problem

Options
  • 07-04-2008 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi all

I am a 03 polo and the other day my key would not turn off the imobliser when I started the car
    Luckly the spare key is working Ok
    Is a big job to the key fixed
    Do I have to call to a main dealer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It may just be a battery in the key fob that needs replacing. You should be able to do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The battery in the keyfob is only for the central locking rather than the immobiliser. I'll assume that the keyfob opened the door, but when the car was started it cut out almost straight away.

The immobiliser transponder in the key may have lost it's coding and it may be a simple matter of having the key reprogrammed. It could of course be faulty, in which case a replacement key will be required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

odonoso wrote: »
    Hi all

I am a 03 polo

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

You should try and prove that the key is faulty. Check a few times to be sure it fails to start with the suspect one. Remember to leave a few mins between attempts for the immo to reset. The instrument clusters on these can be faulty and give the same symptoms. It is possible to repair these rather than replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You should try and prove that the key is faulty. Check a few times to be sure it fails to start with the suspect one. Remember to leave a few mins between attempts for the immo to reset. The instrument clusters on these can be faulty and give the same symptoms. It is possible to repair these rather than replace.

Good advice - keep using the suspect key (keeping the spare with you) this way you'll know if the suspect key is faulty. It could be the cluster as Mr.D points out. It could also be the read coil which gave trouble on lots of VWs. Have a diagnostic machine hooked up if you can - it should help narrow it down to a specific item.

• Advertisement
Advertisement