Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Software/Tech expo

Options
  • 07-04-2008 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Well, its finally happened, I have been tasked with a management function and my first thing is to organise a technology expo..

We run an IT Galla day every year for our customers and partners. Part of the deal is we run managment and technology seminars.

And my job will be the technology showcases. We use all forms of techs at the moment, Unix&Windows server farms, IBM WebSphere, Java, SAP, Oracle, .NET etc etc...its fairly diverse.

I have an idea of what we want to show, new techs and how to upsell it management so you can use it. No point showing them the wow factor without showing them the tips for getting them the use of it. This will mainly be for techs and devs looking at technology in action. For example one of my teams things will be MOSS with Silverlight and WPF, WCF and using Workflow.

Now.. I have to make it fun! How the hell do I do that... I was thinking some sort of theme without being too cheesy..

I have been to plenty of tech expos and the usual thing is its booths with the techs there to chat with. Usually you will have something lilke in the case of MS an XBOX 360 or something. Would kinda like that, but was thinking a retro game theme with games such as PacMan, Steet Fighter etc, with prizes for the high scores. It should keep people engaged enough without making it too cheesy

Just looking for opinions etc? Or other ideas maybe...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I know video is something people have been looking to include in MOSS, and silverlight seems like a nice way to do that. How about a library with some video in it. A nice interface to browse and select a file to play, something dynamic, maybe an MCE style to it. After a file plays you could have a little quiz with a nice looking form for it sending results off to a DB, with a prize for most correct answers?. You could theme the video clips around a particular genre of movies, or a particular movie or TV show.

It'd show off a bit of functionality and show some potential in a posibly interesting way, and should be relatively easy to do. I'm not sure how you'd squeeze in WCF or workflows though other than in very trivial ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I think I will be doing the WF stuff .. showing how to improve BP with it, or mainly to show basic common WF stuff. Maybe going though the SP Designer to show it

Who knows

The feedback I am getting from the techs is that they like it and already starting thinking about demos at the moment.

It will be ongoing all day and will is labelled as the techno-attic in the meaning of Technology on the top floor rather than stuff is put up there because you dont need it for a while ... tho it doesnt translate as well from Norwegian to English!

Advertisement