Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you buy a football shirt without a sponsor on it?

• 07-04-2008 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

As the title asks, can you do this, especially when alcohol based sponsors are on a jersey? If, say, Liverpool are playing in, I think, France, Switzerland or Norway, laws there prevent them carrying the Carlsberg logo on the shirt.

If you can buy such a product, does anybody know where?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Clubs not allowed sell them usually, but the likes of the big clubs usually have a t shirt thats damn close to the jersey without the logo.

Ebay may have some i know one lad sells ireland jerseys without logos on it.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    As the title asks, can you do this, especially when alcohol based sponsors are on a jersey? If, say, Liverpool are playing in, I think, France, Switzerland or Norway, laws there prevent them carrying the Carlsberg logo on the shirt.

If you can buy such a product, does anybody know where?

kids jerseys dont have carlsberg on them,dont know about the adult ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

This has probably been asked and answered before, but how come we are the only international team who's replica jersey has a sponsor plastered on it?

This has probably been asked and answered before, but how come we are the only international team who's replica jersey has a sponsor plastered on it?

part of the deal eircom

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    part of the deal eircom

kdjac

But even in the Opel days it was the case. Has there ever ben a case to get this reversed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's the reason I refuse to buy and Ireland jersey. It's disgraceful that we're the only country in Europe where you can't buy our national jersey without it being plastered with a hideous corporate logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

But even in the Opel days it was the case. Has there ever ben a case to get this reversed?

Fortunately, you could rip the opel logo off very easy without ruining the jersey. That's what I did anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

They arent, I see plenty of Spain jerseys with Vodafone floating around the place.

bohsman wrote: »
    They arent, I see plenty of Spain jerseys with Vodafone floating around the place.

Really, I haven't? One of my mates has there replica jersey and there is no sponsor on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It's the reason I refuse to buy and Ireland jersey. It's disgraceful that we're the only country in Europe where you can't buy our national jersey without it being plastered with a hideous corporate logo.

So if England, France, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Germany etc put a sponsor on their jersey, then will you buy Ireland's?

• Advertisement

Said it before and I'll say it again. If a football club wants me to walk around like a nylon billboard then they can pay me (rather than the other way round).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

If you think some of the soccer shirts are bad you should check out some of the Rugby ones...Ospreys one is like an advertising hoarding :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Can buy the Ireland on log free from some american website, cannot remember whcih one but should not be too hard to find. As regards the club jerseys, you could always buy Barca's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

They have a sponsor now too

I don't believe so. They give money to Unicef and have their name on the jersey. Not quite sponsorship as we know it, usually the other way round for sponsorship as I understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

They have a sponsor now too

dont think unicef sponsor barca, unicef are a charity, i'd say barca contribute to them

cson wrote: »
    If you think some of the soccer shirts are bad you should check out some of the Rugby ones...Ospreys one is like an advertising hoarding :eek:

london irish have three or four on theirs now as well, managed to buy a polo shirt 4 or 5 years ago with none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

irish-stew wrote: »
    dont think unicef sponsor barca, unicef are a charity, i'd say barca contribute to them
    Yeah but it's still a logo, you are still advertising an organisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

They give UNICEF a token payment for every jersey sold. Part of their agreement with Nike is exclusive corporate branding on the shirt for which Barca make a killing compared to kit deals with other clubs

Yes but the question was not regarding advertising it was about sponsorship. The whole deal about sponsorship is that THEY PAY YOU to put your name on their shirt not vice-versa.

And to answer the original question, I have no idea.

• Advertisement

We should run a pool on what PL club will do the barca/bilbao thing and not have a sponsor 1st.

i bags none ever!

kdjac

I would be of the same opinion, surprised that they do not already sponsor the backs of jerseys as they do in the championship.

not debating if its a logo or not, just saying their not a sponsor,

i do prefer shirts my self with out a sponsor, would love an ireland jersey my self without eircom on it, and thought i done well a few years when i got a polo without it splashed across the front, was disapointed when i seen it on the sleeve when i got home, unfortunatly, its very difficult to get away from them what with contracts with the teams,

although did read a story in one of the tabloids at the weekend, that ireland were getting a lot of stock, originally destined for the uk market, of shirts with drinks sponsors, following changes in uk legistration re drinks advertising and exposure to kids, that shirts now manufactured in kids sizing cant have alcohol advertising on them in the UK

have actully seen an ireland shirts for sale in a major high street chain, without eircom, but had keene on the back instead

I would be of the same opinion, surprised that they do not already sponsor the backs of jerseys as they do in the championship.

PL rules forbid anything other than a certain sized logo on the front.

imo thats a good thing, lique 1 being a good example of what happens when sponsors let loose on jersies.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Originally posted by dc69: kids jerseys dont have carlsberg on them,dont know about the adult ones.

Yes. Same with Celtic's kid jerseys. Isn't there a voluntary code of conduct or is it actually a law in the UK now where the kids jersey musn't have sponsorship on it if it is an alcoholic product? However certain shops here still seem to be selling them with the sponsor still on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The sponsor on the Ireland jersey is the biggest joke going. Typical FAI squeezing every bit of cash they can out of the deal. I won't be buying another national team jersey until they remove the logo. I want to wear what the players play in (if the players wore a shirt with a logo then so would it). It's what the term 'replica' means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sponsor-less Liverpool jersies are available at www.subsidesports.com. The cost is £59.99 (yes that's sterling). Rip off tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sponsor-less Liverpool jersies are available at www.subsidesports.com. The cost is £59.99 (yes that's sterling). Rip off tbh.

Dont think thats a replica, it seems to be one produced for the players (unused).Everything stitched, no transfers.
    Still a rip off seeing as they only have that shirt design till the end of the season.

EDIT:Might be wrong on that, usually only the sponsor thats a tranfer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭SteM

A coulpe of seasons ago West Ham had no sponsor on their jersey for PL games IIRC.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    A coulpe of seasons ago West Ham had no sponsor on their jersey for PL games IIRC.
    at

That's cause they couldn't get one. Thats not a joke or a dig, but as I remember they had some problems with their previous sponsor and didn't have enough time to get a new one.

at

That's cause they couldn't get one. Thats not a joke or a dig, but as I remember they had some problems with their previous sponsor and didn't have enough time to get a new one.

Seems a familiar story with West Ham.

Wasn't there one season there where their stadium was still a building site on opening day of the season and they had to spend a month or so playing somewhere else? :confused:

Anyone think that certain Sponsors suit a jersey.

I'm probably being biased, but as a Newcastle supporter, I always though the Brown Ale logo suited the jersey's perfectly and always liked the fact that the sponsor had such deep connections and associations with Newcastle the city.

Btw, anyone ever check out this site before, absoluetely class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Btw, anyone ever check out this site before, absoluetely class!

Always wanted one of these and my first jersey was one of these
    the white came off the "Candy" on the jersey leaving the name in "gel", which actually looked quite cool....when i was 5 :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think the Liverpool jerseys (havent paid attention to other clubs) look a bit crap without the sponsor when they played in France. Looked really plain and mader it look like a T-shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I very much like my sponsor-free Athletic Bilbao jersey. I must get next seasons edition!

• Advertisement
Advertisement