Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So many choices -choose my pedals!

Options
  • 07-04-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Well, I may be ordering the geared beast tonight or tomorrow, so the next question is what pedals to go for!

I currently use SPDs, but have no particular bias towards them. I think I'm going with the Canyon Roadlite, and have the choice between the Shimano SPD-SL Ultegra pedals or the Look Keo Classic

Is this another Campy vs Shimano type worm can I'm opening, what's the benefits of one over the other... I'm leaning towards the Ultegra simply cos the rest of the groupset is, but I'm willing to have my mind changed!

-I will be getting new shoes anyway, so that's not an issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i recently bought Look keo carbon, and i think there grear easy clip-in and out,
    but im sorry i didnt go for specialized speedplay pedals you'll never need to buy more than 1 pair of cleats for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I second the Look recommendation, very easy to get in and out of.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I love my Keos, but then again, I've never ridden Shimano pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

My road bike pedals are Look 337. Are the KEOs easier to get in/out of, I wonder?

I find the 337s okay but sometimes there's a bit of "foosthering" around...

Also, if I changed to Keo pedals, would I need to change my cleats too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

You selling your old pedals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

My road bike pedals are Look 337. Are the KEOs easier to get in/out of, I wonder?

I find the 337s okay but sometimes there's a bit of "foosthering" around...

yes you do have to change your cleats to keo cleats which are smaller.

i have the old type look Delta pedals on my winter trek bike, and i have the Keo's on my good bike. But i have 2 pairs of shoes.

i find the Keo's easier to use

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Are the KEOs easier to get in/out of, I wonder?

As easy as the older ones I find. The big difference is that the pedals are on the whole lighter than the older designs, with a lower stack height.

Yes, the Keo cleats are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

flickerx wrote: »
    You selling your old pedals?

Haven't decided yet to be honest, I may keep em on the paddy wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Actually, the cleats for the 337s are bloody monstrous. You feel like you're walking in ice skates when you're off the bike.
    el tonto wrote: »
    As easy as the older ones I find. The big difference is that the pedals are on the whole lighter than the older designs, with a lower stack height.

Yes, the Keo cleats are different.

I don't think Keos are any easier to walk in really. They do come with rubber cleat covers though, which make it a bit easier in addition to protecting the cleat. I never bother bringing them with me though. Got enough stuff in my pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Well, I may be ordering the geared beast tonight or tomorrow, so the next question is what pedals to go for!

I currently use SPDs, but have no particular bias towards them. I think I'm going with the Canyon Roadlite, and have the choice between the Shimano SPD-SL Ultegra pedals

ill vote for the shimanos, have being using them since my early bike days, and no hassle with them.....but then again ive never used any other type of pedal :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Just as I suspected, it appear to be a case of 'whatever suits you'

I'm going to go with the shimano I think, just to keep it Ultegra all the way round. I'm biting the bullet and ordering the Canyon tomorrow, and I'm going to order shoes with it. Do shimano fit a size smaller than usual, or what? I'm a 10.5 or so in normal shoes, what should I go for in euro sizes?

I'll be ready for Sally Gap in a couple weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I have Ultegra on my nice bike just to keep the groupset all the same and I have LOOK's on my commuter bike. Caos I riding my commuter more I quite like the float that isn't there on the SPD's. Still, the SPDs have a wider foot plate that I prefer. I think Shimano shoes are OK on sizes. You run into problems on Italian brands IMO. Fortunately there's loads of bike shops around town that sell Shimano shoes so you should so try on a pair for size and buy online.

Advertisement