Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does this sound right?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi there Motorheads, quick question (sorry if it's been answered before but as a total noob in the motoring world, I'm unsure whether the replies were car specific) I got my 98 Almera serviced today and was told I need new timing chain and clutch. The man said 950 for timing chain and 500 for clutch, does this sound right? I'm asking because as a female learner driver walking into one of these places I'm paro they could just pull any number out and I wouldn't know any better. Don't mind paying it if it's legit, just thought I'd ask people with no vested interests if it sounds like a fair priice. THanks for your replies in advance!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

€300 for the clutch and possibly €450-€600 for the timing chain.

Go to an indy mechanic and it will be cheaper. Where abouts are you based??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm no mechanic and have never owned a car so my opinion really doesn't matter much, but to me 950 quid seems like a shed-load for a bit of chain. While it's a very important component, it's also mechanically very simple.

This thread talks about a timing chain replaced for 600 quid. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055119097
    /edit: jonny beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

If its going to cost the bones of €1500 , this is probably more than the cars worth

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

I'm in Lucan/ Clondalkin area? Can't believe he'd add that much of a whack onto it.:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you can get to Deerpark, C&F Motors is the garagee, its my uncles place. He won't rip you off.

Also what mileage is on the car because a timing chain really wouldn't need to be changed unless it was really bad.

• Advertisement

44,515miles. Do you think he's taking the piss or that it does need to be done and he's just charging extra? Read that thread and now I'm totally lost!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds like you're being conned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

afaik timing belts/chains are at 60,000mile intervals no?? correct me if wrong but that's what a fair few cars i've seen are..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I never heard of a chain needin to be replaced, and definitly not at that low mileage.

Timing chains are suppose to last the lifetime of the car unless they give trouble. Nissan have a bad rep when it comes to their chains.

Pay my uncle a visit and he will tell you if it needs to be done, he will not rip you off or waste your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

(not hyjackin but)

@jonny24ie, does your uncles garage service cars/ replace tires? i'm looking for somewhere to get two cars serviced and one for fresh tires

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Chain should last the life of the engine i'm told., you can hear a chain when its about to fail. My 95 Primera timing chain is over 182,000 miles old as of today :D . So somethings a miss on your almera.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

98 1.4 Amera doesn't suffer timing chain problems as much as the 1.5l 00 on model AFAIK.

So what do I do guys? Getting NCT on THurs, will that be able to tell me anything? Feel like going down and running amok! I have a few feelers out for other quotes (through men of course :rolleyes:) but now I'm thinking there may not be anything even wrong wih it? He said it's noisy but I havn't noticed anything, but then again, I'm a car retard!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I cant imagine either a timing chain or clutch going at such low mileage-sounds like he is taking the piss and its a disgrace.

^ Good point. I also failed to mention my 95 primera is on its original Clutch, clutch cable and gearbox after 182,000. Unless you hammering that clutch out of it it shouldn't have died yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Get a second opinion on both, i'm sure some boardsie will be able to recommend someone good close to where you live / work...

Neither the clutch / timing chain will make you fail the NCT, so put it through and see what they say...

I actually heard of a taxi with a really bad clutch passing the NCT, it had to be pushed out of the test station which tests the brakes, by 3 testers, as it didn't have the torque to get out of it, but it still passed....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Even if it was a timing belt on an Opel Astra, it should last longer than 40-odd thousand km. A timing chain shouldn't need changed at all, certainly not before a couple of hundred thousand km. That's expensive-sounding for a clutch, too, I'd definitely get a second opinion.

Oh, and the NCT will probably tell you nothing. Unless the clutch is really bad (again, it's quite low mileage for it to need replacing), I doubt very much if you'll fail.

God I wish I'd known this before I spent 345 on a service....Is that mental btw? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

If (and only if) you get a second opinion and it turns out you don't need this work, make sure to name and shame the original con-artist.

• Advertisement

Vespian wrote: »
    God I wish I'd known this before I spent 345 on a service....Is that mental btw? :o

Yes!! Is it a main dealers? Did you get any parts put in? That sounds extortionate if it was an oil change and a couple of checks. Sounds like you've been had...Not a good feeling! You live and Learn :(

It was 195 for basic service, 95 for brake pads, 11 for something else and then VAT @13.5%? This sucks, I'm a lamb to the slaughter! :(

congo_90 wrote: »
    (not hyjackin but)

@jonny24ie, does your uncles garage service cars/ replace tires? i'm looking for somewhere to get two cars serviced and one for fresh tires

He will do the servicing, not 100% about the tyres but as far as I remember he has the equipment to do them alright. Give the garage a ring first perhaps and ask them.

(Mods... BTW... not just pimpinig my uncles garage but he is an excellent mechanic that doesn't cost the world. A little story to show how good he is: My dad was talking to a lad one day about his Volvo that has had engine trouble, the lad spent 1000's with main dealers but the problem was still there. He brought the car out to my uncle and from just listening to the engine he was able to tell that a screw was missing from the block somewhere, the problem was resolved within an hour and the cost of it was £1 back at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

thats very expensive we do those chains and clutchs all the time.is your car misfiring?? timing chains goin on almeras is a very common problem,they usually csause the engine management light to come on and the car starts misfiring when under load.we do the chains fitted for around 550 and the cluctches for around 450 all in.if thats any use to you

Yep, mine costs me parts only which is around €60. Labour time of about an hour. But it all depends on what was done during your service but from the price I would imagine it was a basic oil, air filter, spark plug change.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

It is strange how every thread thats asks about an estimated cost of repair gets responses like the ones here. It seems the people who know least about the problem and the costs involved in the solution are the first to post. I fail to see how responses like this help the OP.

I am not an expert on Nissans, but I have seen quite a few and have read on a professional forum the opinions and experiences of the techs who do these every day. I have personally diagnosed this chain problem on numerous occasions.

Some facts that I hope will help the OP -

These chains are a very common problem.
    These chains are not changed at any particular mileage.
    I have seen them faulty at mileage as low as 24000.
    They do not always rattle when they are worn, in fact usually not. They do cause a misfire and usually an engine management warning light on the dash.
    Parts cost is considerable. In the region of €550 for a complete kit as far as I am aware. I think it is possible to do them without the full kit though.
    It is possible to buy aftermarket (non genuine) parts for this job but it has been proven these fail even quicker than the origional.
    The time to replace these is 4 to 5 hours. Labour would therefore be anywhere from €200 to €500 depending on where you go.

The clutch parts cost is likely to be €200 to €300. Labour about another 4 hours.

If you doubt the garages diagnosis then you should get another opinion.

No it's not misfiring and the engine management light doesn't come on AFAIK. I had to look up both of those things. This is humiliation :( I think there should be a place that you can find out the standard cost of these things. A place apart from Boards that is!
    Will the NCT tell me if these things need to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

No it's not misfiring and the engine management light doesn't come on

Will the NCT tell me if these things need to be done?

In that case its time for a second opinion. Fins another mechanic and get it checked. It is very easy to check for chain wear on these.

No, the NCT will not be any use to you on this issue.

Thanks so much for all the help guys, tis much appreciated. It's shit that the NCT doesn't check this, clearly it's important if it costs so much! Dear oh dear, I'm starting to think I resigned my bicycle too soon!

• Advertisement

The only way to see if your being ripped off is to get a second opinion from a garage, as I say my uncle will give you an option of either genuine parts or spurious but he will go through the pros and cons of both with you and which will be the likely better ones.

@ Mr. Diagnostic a timing chain kit for my car (Toyota Corolla) is about €350 - €400 max.
    My clutch was done in Longford a year ago by an expensive mechanic that I don't know using genuine Toyota Parts and the max I paid was €320.

Advertisement