Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does this sound right?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

jonny24ie wrote: »
    @ Mr. Diagnostic a timing chain kit for my car (Toyota Corolla) is about €350 - €400 max.
    My clutch was done in Longford a year ago by an expensive mechanic that I don't know using genuine Toyota Parts and the max I paid was €320.

Sorry, not sure what your point is. I cant see how that is relevant to this thread since the car in question is not a corolla.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sorry, not sure what your point is. I cant see how that is relevant to this thread since the car in question is not a corolla.

Well in all fairness it would give a rough idea of costs o it would be relevant to the thread.

Nissan prices are about the same price as Toyota parts maybe even slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Can anyone tell me WHY the NCT doesn't check timing chains or clutches? I've been thinking about it and it doesn't make sense to me? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

clutch costs 90 lids at my local motor factors, should get it fitted etc for 150 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The car is not worth the repair. Though at sub-50,000 miles it is very unusual that you have problems with the car. I have a 97 model. Never an ounce of trouble and I bought it with 90,000 miles on it. Sounds to me like you are being had. If the problems your mechanic says are in the car then dispose of the car and purchase another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I would assume the NCT does not check timing belts and clutches as these do not really affect the safety of your car as such, and this is supposed to be what the NCT is for, to ensure your car is safe to be on the road.

For example, if your clutch is on the way out, it doesnt make your car dangerous, whereas bad brakes, suspension, tyres etc will, and will make your car hazardous on the road.

It would also be fairly difficult for the NCT boys to inspect the belt/chain and tell you that it needs replacing, as i dont think they are trained in this and each car has a different change interval or in some cases (as most chains) no interval. In fact, there is a disclaimer when you go for the nct that removes the liability from them in case anything happens to the timing belt during the test!

I would suggest getting a second opionion on your clutch etc as it seems rather steep. Is it slipping by the way, can you feel the revs going higher than normal without accelerating very well? 45K miles seems rather early for a clutch to go but maybe with a lot of town driving it may be possible. My old 92 golf got a new clutch at 110K miles when I had it, and i drove the nads off it. It may just need adjusting rather than replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

I understand about NCT now, I thought it was to check your car is roadworthy, didn't realise it was a safety thing. Went down today to collect my car (he knocked a fiver of the price :rolleyes:), spoke to different guy, he said the clutch was slipping but because this is my first car I have nothing to compare it with so I don't know about the revs etc. I've been asking around (well, I got a male friend to!) and the lowest quote I got for both jobs was 850. My next question is if it's worth paying the extra couple of ton to have genuine parts fitted or should I not give a shite because it's a ten year old car? THanks again guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I'll tell you what doesnt sound right... a 98 almera with 45k miles!! 5k miles a year??? I suppose it was someones weekend car :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Tails142 wrote: »
    I'll tell you what doesnt sound right... a 98 almera with 45k miles!! 5k miles a year??? I suppose it was someones weekend car :pac:

x2 ..Sounds fishy alright..Sound like it could have been rolled back. I know of who drive not too often and thier 97 Saxo has nearly 80,000...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Vespian wrote: »
    I understand about NCT now, I thought it was to check your car is roadworthy, didn't realise it was a safety thing.

Well, checking the car is roadworthy is checking that its safe :). If it wasn't roadworthy therefore by definition it couldn't be safe.
    Tails142 wrote: »

Agreed. My 98 passat has 90k on it, and it was parked up for 2 years!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It seems the people who know least about the problem ... I am not an expert on Nissans, but
    :)

Contrary to Mr.D's post and in addition to colm_mcm's post the trouble is only with the '00 on models. And to clarify there is no problem with the chains, the problem is with camshaft oil seals that causes oil to leak onto (and ruin) the chain. Almeras and Primeras were affected (maybe more), and Nissan recalled them and did the work for free.

OP, I would reckon there is probably nothing wrong with the chain in your car. Did the garage say why they reckon it needs to be changed?

Get a family member to check your clutch. It's easy enough to figure out if it's slipping.

I owned a 99 Almera 1.4 with 90,000 miles on the clock and it had its original chain.

The NCT don't test things that are not related to safety or emissions requirements.

Advertisement