Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick launch toolbar keeps reappearing...

• 07-04-2008 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

I'm running Vista SP1 and it seems to be happening since I installed SP1. On numerous occasions I have removed the toolbar but then it reappears again after the machine is restarted a few times. I have even deleted all of the icons from the bar and it still reappears empty taking up about an inch of the taskbar when it does.

Has anyone else experienced this and do they know how to resolve it? Any suggestions would be great...

Ronan

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Somebody? Anybody? This is particularly annoying. I can't find anything anywhere that can solve it :mad:. To remedy the situation and keep me calm I've resorted to using the bloody toolbar even though I hate it. I've even ditched my favourite program of the last 10 years (ObjectDock) which I would have used to replace it!

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus!

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

What do you mean when you say you tried to remove it? All you have to do, in theory, is rightclick on it and go into properties and untick the show quick launch option?

The only thing I can think of that might be causing your problem is S&D or one of those spyware tools. I used to have my Change how windows alerts me set to off (that thing that would pop up and say you have new update to install etc) but S&D used to set them back on.

If that is the case have a good look at what S&D is repairing or removing next time and ask it to ignore that change or repair that might be restoring the registry entry that turns the quick launch tool bar back on.

I can't give you any better info as I use KasperSky now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Try this if you haven't already.

Untick the lock taskbar
    Untick the quicklaunch toolbar
    Retick the lock taskbar
    Shut down the computer (this should write your settings into the registry)

Let me know if it works.

Simplicity wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say you tried to remove it? All you have to do, in theory, is rightclick on it and go into properties and untick the show quick launch option?

The only thing I can think of that might be causing your problem is S&D or one of those spyware tools.

Sorry about the lack of clarity. When I said that I had removed it numerous times I was referring to the right click - untick method that you mentioned above, nothing unorthodox at all.

The only program I have that monitors spyware is Windows Live OneCare so I will have a look at that and see if I can find anything there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Head

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »

Untick the lock taskbar
    Retick the lock taskbar

Let me know if it works.

Thanks for that suggestion too. I'm working on an assignment (in between posts here :rolleyes:) at the moment and I have about a dozen windows open so a restart is not practical at the moment. It usually didnt happen after the first restart as far as I can remember, it usually was after about 3 or 4 restarts that it reappeared, adding further strangeness to the situation. Anyway, I will get back to you with the results of what you suggested...

Head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did you manually install SP1 or allow the WinUpdate to do it for you?

edit: ok I just wondered because they really dont advise a manual install yet - it causes loads of extra issues at this point.

I did it through Windows / Microsoft Update...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

Another thing to try could be remove the tool bar as normal and then kill off any system restore points. Reboot and turn system restore back on. Just a thought.

nipplenuts wrote: »

Untick the lock taskbar
    Retick the lock taskbar

Let me know if it works.

This seems to have worked. I have had a few shutdown / restart cycles now and it hasnt reappeared, so thanks for your suggestion...

Strange that that info. is not made more easily available by MS to people who want to get rid of it.

Thanks again.

Ro

• Advertisement

Good news. Glad I could help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Head wrote: »
    Strange that that info. is not made more easily available by MS to people who want to get rid of it.

the reason it is not widly available info is because you are in a minority

not everyone has vista
    not everyone has installed sp1 yet
    some slight bugs will only show up once its rolled out and tested by millions
    and i am pretty sure not everyone gets upset about a bloody inch of taskbar :p

mukki wrote: »
    the reason it is not widly available info is because you are in a minority

not everyone has vista
    not everyone has installed sp1 yet
    some slight bugs will only show up once its rolled out and tested by millions
    and i am pretty sure not everyone gets upset about a bloody inch of taskbar :p

It sometimes happens in XP - that's where I learned to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

i dont why youd want to get rid of it! show desktop should be manditory on all windows machines ;)

dhaddock wrote: »
    i dont why youd want to get rid of it! show desktop should be manditory on all windows machines ;)

he is using some 3rd party app instead

i think the windows one would be much more ram friendly

Up to recently I have been an XP user and I didnt care much for the GUI so I used a few third party apps from a company from Stardock to get rid of the taskbar and system tray and make it look a bit more appealing, which it did. I also used some skinning programs and an icon replacement program to further enhance the look.

Then came Vista, which I think is far nicer than XP was. I liked the look of it generally but not the Quick Launch toolbar, so that is why i was trying to get rid of it. It's quite limited and ObjectDock gives you many, many options as regards creating "docks" as such.

As far as RAM goes, yes I agree the QL is probably using less, but I have 4GB so that wasn't a concern. Also, Stardock (creators of ObjectDock) are a very well established company who make high quality programs that use as little RAM as possible so I would have confidence in that too.

Yeah it seems mad to get so annoyed over an inch of screen space but there ya go. I like things to look the way I want them to look and to be as functional as possible. For my purposes the QL toolbar is neither, ObjectDock is both.

Thanks again for the help, and Mukki, less of your cheek :D.

Head

It's back :(. Time to contact Microsoft and get this sorted! What are the chances eh?

Head

oh here

make the quick launch huge
    right click in a unused part of the quick launch
    choose "open folder
    press back once
    delete the quick launch folder

mukki wrote: »
    oh here

Clearly your patience is running out with this issue at this point :p.

Good to know that there's a brute force way of solving it. I am however still interested in what Microsoft say about ths issue but I will bear in mind what you said if they can't help me...

At this point its more out of curiosity than anything that I want to find out why it's happening!

Thanks again Mukki.

Pernickity Head

Head wrote: »
    Clearly your patience is running out with this issue at this point :p.

Good to know that there's a brute force way of solving it. I am however still interested in what Microsoft say about ths issue but I will bear in mind what you said if they can't help me...

At this point its more out of curiosity than anything that I want to find out why it's happening!

Thanks again Mukki.

Pernickity Head

in my fist post i thought it would be funny to slag you about what you wanted fixed

then i thought it was even funnier to be the one who slagged you off and also the one who fixes the problem for ya, I just said "oh hear" to remind you of my disapproval :p

hope it works for ya, i am on xp

• Advertisement

Speaking of XP, I was reluctant to change to Vista based on all the negative press about it but I have to say that I'm glad I did now. It has been quite a positive experience so far. No problems with it at all so far. Once I got used to the new layout of some things etc... it was fine. They have crammed a lot into Vista it has to be said!

On the QL issue, it's just having a laught at me now. Two restarts ago it was there, the last time it wasn't and now it's back again. Ah well, I spose there are far worse things that could happen...

Cheerio for now!

Now You See Me, Now You Don't Head

Advertisement