Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Registering

Options
  • 07-04-2008 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Ok so few questions, Is it possible to get a domain name registered for free? preferably .com or .ie

If not, then what are my options? who is the cheapest? i was on blackknight solutions because i heard good things about them.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

.com is unlikely to be free, .ie is certainly not going to be. To compare providers, check some of the links in the top of the thread for getting hosted and compare the packages they have on offer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭eoiner-galway

if you want to go free you must use a sub-domain from a provider... e.g www.hackit.43host.info (one of mine) the 43host.info part is the sub domain provider.......... others lik www.741.com e.g www.whatever.741.com

for .com registering, the cheapest place is godaddy.com but i find the best is easyspace.com.... your decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

GoDaddy charge US$9.99 for a .com domain (about €6.40 at todays exchange rates) - you can find cheaper locally :)

As for free domains - try .tk domains

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

GoDaddy charge US$9.99 for a .com domain (about €6.40 at todays exchange rates) - you can find cheaper locally :)

As for free domains - try .tk domains

Plus if you ever try to register a domain you have to go through about 10 pages between offering you more domains and try to flog you every thing they can, hosting, back ups, protection??:mad: Dam yanks

I always buy locally ;) but I would prefer the privacy feature on some domains as some hosts offer this but some don't:(

(*Go Daddy don't charge vat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I have to admit, godaddy can be a confusing ordering process, and I consider myself a techie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Name.com $5.99 for a dot com or dot net

Short, sweet, cheap and free private whois thrown in.

I have about 20 domains with them, no problems.

GoDaddy have also put their prices up recently and mixed with their cluttered control panel, i decided to ditch them :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

does that give you one year then? after wards can you renew or how does it work?

i dont use godaddy, i was only suggesting them, i use easyspace.com.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Do any of these do hosting aswell? ie; packages.

What happens after one year passes, to my domain name.
    Also, when i register. Where is my name stored? Am i guarenteed the domain name for the period?

Please read the stickies above, we do not allow discussion of hosting.

• Advertisement

sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

congo_90 wrote: »
    Do any of these do hosting aswell? ie; packages.

Check the links in the stickies.
    What happens after one year passes, to my domain name.

If you don't pay for the domain renewal the domain expires and someone else can register it
    Also, when i register. Where is my name stored?

The domain registry (basically)
    Am i guarenteed the domain name for the period?
    Yes, unless you do something illegal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

you can get free .tk domain names. there not worth much but better than nothing. you can register at www.dot.tk

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Montallie

I find GoDaddy brilliant. It's quite easy to just skip down through all the offers and keep clicking on the Go to Checkout bit. If you put something like 'registering a domain name with GoDaddy' into the search engine, you will come up with codes to get the name cheaper than on the site. At the moment I pay $7.19 for a dotcom, which works out very reasonable with the exchange rate. At the moment also there is an info sale, and if your site suits info you can get a name for $1.99. But the cost for a dotcom is so little that I think it's well worth paying the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭foxhound

I have 5 or 6 parked domain names with godaddy I did find the ordering process slightly confussing but I am new to this I plan to buy a few more names next month and may give name.com a try
    I would never host with godaddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

For the record, I find .tk to be absoloutley brutal. I think http://freedomain.co.nr/index.php is a way better. No forced advertising(besides a small link back), it's free, and to sign up, all you'll need to do is a simple english test.

not going deep into the subject, but some hosts offer a free .com/.net domain when you sign up to their package. Bare this is mind.

never used godaddy, and from what I heard, never will.

Ok, we're done.I'm not going deleting any more provider recommendations, read the charter please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement