Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it possible to get a new insurance policy on car in the uk, being brought to Irel?

Options
  • 07-04-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Guys, I'm thinking of heading over to the UK to buy a car but I have a question regarding car insurance. I have no car insurance policy of my own, other than work insurance. I am wondering if it is possible to get a new insurance policy from an Irish company on a car that I will be buying in the UK that will cover me to drive from the UK to Ireland via Holyhead. Has anyone done anything like this?

Another thing that may complicate things is the fact that I might go to a garage where I can test drive two or three of the same vehicle before parting with my cash.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Get a temp policy online. http://www.tempcover.com/ very reasonable and will cover you to get you home in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks. Have you used them? One thing that would put me off is the cost of one day temporary insurance with them would probably pay for a month of a twelve month Irish policy.

I have used them before. Cost me £50 stg for 4 days. They email you the cert instantly and away you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I'll definitely consider it if no Irish company will insure a car with UK plates at such short notice. Btw did you use it to bring a car in from the UK?

Yes. Brought a car from Kent to Ireland via Rosslare. No problems at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

First Ireland (AIG) covered a car on UK plates for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

quinn covered me on a car on English plates, it was a new policy. They didn't even require the car to be changed to Irish plates within a certain time limit.
    Also, quinn were willing to cover me on a car chassis number. I was going to buy a jap import just off the boat and they said if i phoned them with the chassis number they would insure me there and then. (but this was an existing policy)

Advertisement