Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New registration codes for cork galway and dublin

Options
  • 07-04-2008 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

I read this recently,apparently the Revenue Commissioners, the Irish Government agency responsible for vehicle registration, are planning to add new codes for the administrative counties currently sharing codes. These are rumoured to be CK (County Cork), GY (County Galway), DR (Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown), FL (Fingal), and SN (South Dublin) respectively,but have not been introduced as of yet, im wondering can anyone shed any light on the truth of the matter....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I honestly can't see the point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Late April Fool's joke, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Not sure, though it was in wikepedia, and the info in there can be unreliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It's not an April fools joke, this has been going around for some time that they are planning it, obviously it hasn't happened(yet), why they feel the need to do it is beyond me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

bennyx_o wrote: »
    I honestly can't see the point

While Donegal might not have a problem, you will notice that Dublin plates reach very high numbers; and there comes a point where 00-D-99999999999999 is too much of a squeeze for registration plate manufacturers.

Although the powers that be never in Ireland never did specify a type face, they just provided an just have an image of some sans-serif font so a narrow font could make the above plate possible, but would the NCT service like it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

vector wrote: »
    While Donegal might not have a problem, you will notice that Dublin plates reach very high numbers; and there comes a point where 00-D-99999999999999 is too much of a squeeze for registration plate manufacturers.

Although the powers that be never in Ireland never did specify a type face, they just provided an just have an image of some sans-serif font so a narrow font could make the above plate possible, but would the NCT service like it?

In fairness I really cant see another 888000 2000 reg cars being brought in to take it too over a million ( i reg'd mine the other day and got 1127xx)

It's never going to go over 6 numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Why do the likes of Waterford and Limerick already have city and county registrations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Why do the likes of Waterford and Limerick already have city and county registrations?
    +1

Waterford Co Co are in Dungarvan and Waterford City Council are in the city. I presume the situation for Limerick is similar.

I could never understand why Galway Co Co's offices are in Galway City Council's area.. I presume the civil servants don't want to work in Tuam, and hence there is no G and GY?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Good question, limerick had county and city numbers in the old system, and waterford was the same, dublin also had county and city, but they merged together before the 1987 changeover and stayed as D in the new system. Tipperary has north and south numbers also,as they did before 87 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

vector wrote: »

Have you every seen the cars with 0X-D-11111 - The ones are far too close together...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

It could introduce a whole new level of snobbery.

I wouldn't be seen dead in a northside-reg'd car. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jkell

Maybe D4 could buy their own plates.frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'd say a lot of people wouldn't have a clue that Fingal was on the northside and there would also be Dublin city regs which would be split between northside and southside.

Why SN for South Dublin? DS seems a lot more logical. Oh, wait...

Regarding the current system, 11 characters is WAY too many for a reg plate. Dublin should have been split long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd rather see they did away with counties altogether and used the Swedish system. The code has no connection with geographic location and you cannot see where in the country the owners lives.

400px-Se-regskylt.jpg

Although that would stop me shouting "Get out of my way fecking biffo"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Slow coach wrote: »
    Why SN for South Dublin? DS seems a lot more logical. Oh, wait...
    Cause it looks like D5?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

There should have been 'D' and 'DN' and 'G' and 'GY' from the start to be consistant with the system throughout the rest of the country if not for any other reason.

South Dublin would be SN because South Dublin is the name of the local authority area not Dublin South, again in keeping with the system throughout the rest of the country.

There would be no distinction between North and South sides of Dublin city they would all be 'D' because they are both in the Dublin City Council area. South Dublin (SN) relates to the southern part of Dublin County which has it's own local authority called South Dublin County Council.

It really is only bringing a couple of areas in line with the system that already exists throughout the country - the city council/county council boudaries above and the North/South Ridings in Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Stealdo wrote: »
    There should have been 'D' and 'DN' and 'G' and 'GY' from the start to be consistant with the system throughout the rest of the country if not for any other reason.

Having two letters for some counties and one for others is inconsistent in itself. The system should, at the very least, specify the same number of letters in each reg.

Point taken about the D5 ident, but SN bears no resemblance to South Dublin. Yep, I know it's "first and last", but SD would be more appropriate. "First and last" should be only applied to counties with one word in the name. In situations like this (two letter codes), the initials are more appropriate.

Advertisement