Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bugbear

Options
  • 07-04-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭

When your pony/horse has been good enough to take you around a hunter trials course safely, and they're beginning to feel tired after their exertions, why would you beat them up the hill on the way home???

:mad:

I see more instances of this than I care to mention, mostly from children.

Ungrateful little sods! I hope they come back as their ponies in the next life.

Anyone else got any bugbears.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

Yeah, my Mum saw exactly that at a hunter trial lately. A big heavy boy belting his poor pony on the way home and the poor pony had nothing left in the tank.
    Another thing that really bugs me is people (and the main culprits seem to be those who are overweight) using their poor horses or ponies as chairs while out at a show. It drives me nuts to see someone sitting on a horse or pony's back all day long cos they're too lazy to stand. Poor animals stand there easing from one leg to the other to try to shift the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

napoles wrote: »
    Yeah, my Mum saw exactly that at a hunter trial lately. A big heavy boy belting his poor pony on the way home and the poor pony had nothing left in the tank.
    Its really rotten horsemanship. From what Ive seen the last few months, theres a lot of ponies being taken out that really arent fit/able for it either. Its so unfair on them.
    Another thing that really bugs me is people (and the main culprits seem to be those who are overweight) using their poor horses or ponies as chairs while out at a show. It drives me nuts to see someone sitting on a horse or pony's back all day long cos they're too lazy to stand. Poor animals stand there easing from one leg to the other to try to shift the weight.

yes, I hear you on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

they seem to forget animals have feeling and get tired :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Whats a bugbear? Pet peeve or?

Mine is those people who leave there horses unrugged and unfed in cold horse boxes after hunts and go in to the pub to have a "hot one". One day at a hunt i saw a horse stand in a box for 3 hrs while his owner got pissed in the pub. I walked into the pub and asked the bar man for a hot whiskey for "pats" horse out there in the cold. Needless to say it didn't go down well.

Another one is people hunting horses that aren't fit enough. Basically blowing horses wind. Hate these people:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

togster wrote: »
    Whats a bugbear? Pet peeve or?
    yes, its probably an american term now I think of it.
    Mine is those people who leave there horses unrugged and unfed in cold horse boxes after hunts and go in to the pub to have a "hot one". One day at a hunt i saw a horse stand in a box for 3 hrs while his owner got pissed in the pub. I walked into the pub and asked the bar man for a hot whiskey for "pats" horse out there in the cold. Needless to say it didn't go down well.
    I've seen less of that recently. Its totally wrong.

I'm very pernickity about how my mare winds down after a hunt. I actually prefer to turn her out in a rug so she can keep moving and not get stiff.
    Another one is people hunting horses that aren't fit enough. Basically blowing horses wind. Hate these people:mad:

What does 'blowing horses wind' mean? thats a very old fashioned term isnt it?
    Horses should always be fit enough for what they are asked to do. Again, I saw a lot of exhausted ponies at the hunter trials, who were simply too tired to attempt a fence properly. Their charming owners punishing them for it. These people are in the minority, but its a sizable one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

fits wrote: »

I've seen less of that recently. Its totally wrong.

Yeah me too which is a good

I'm very pernickity about how my mare winds down after a hunt. I actually prefer to turn her out in a rug so she can keep moving and not get stiff.

Even in cold weather? I always walk mine for a long time after we finish and then rug them up and bandage legs and give them lots of hay and some hard food.

What does 'blowing horses wind' mean? thats a very old fashioned term isnt it?

Maybe it's old fashioned but it's the only term i've ever heard used. Its more common in bigger heavier horses, who simply aren't fit enough. I think it happens because the airway gets constricted during strenuous bouts of exercise. The "flap" of skin (epiglottis??) gets damaged or ruptured and causes a whistling noise when the horse exerts itself in future. I am always confused as to why it occurs as i have been told so many different things. And why is it detrimental to the horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

I've heard it described as giving a horse broken wind? Presume it's the same thing!

Advertisement