Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car ownership. Incorrect number of owners??

Options
  • 07-04-2008 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I bought a car about a month ago. Was told by the garage in person, and in the add that there was only 2 owners. Today I received the ownership form, which states that there is 4 owners. I wouldnt have paid the price that I did if I knew that there had been 4 previous owners. Has anbody had any similar experience and what happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Well the dealer obviously wasn't truthful with you re the amount of owners. I've heard of similar cases before.
    IMHO, you have a case to possibly reject the car and ask for your money back ...or at the very least get a partial refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

I am happy with the car so I am not looking to take it back, bet defo a partially refund. I am surprised this happened as it is a main dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The dealer can/will say that he got your car confused with some other car. Good luck with the refund, maybe if you ask for stuff/longer warranty rather than dosh?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

I had a similar situation 2 years ago. Got a solicitor friend to send in a legal letter - can't actually remember the content but I got a check for €1500 (had spend €18K on the car) as a gesture of goodwill

While I bought mine with a very well know dealer it might still be worth spending a couple of quid for a potential larger return

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

biko wrote: »
    The dealer can/will say that he got your car confused with some other car. Good luck with the refund, maybe if you ask for stuff/longer warranty rather than dosh?
    That's not really the OP's problem he got confused. The onus is on the dealer to be correct about the information they're providing on the car. If they were asked specifically how many previous owners were on the car it's not exactly hard for the salesman to find out. He should have the documentation to hand very easily.
    Not sure if the OP will get anything but it's definitely worth going back because I know if it had four owners I'd have been looking for a better price when dealing with the salesman than if it had 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I bought a car about a month ago. Was told by the garage in person, and in the add that there was only 2 owners. Today I received the ownership form, which states that there is 4 owners. I wouldnt have paid the price that I did if I knew that there had been 4 previous owners. Has anbody had any similar experience and what happened.

This is a serious error on the vendors part and devalues your car which you'll feel the brunt of when you go to p/x again. You are entitled to the book difference listed as 2 owners to 4 owners. Demand that if it can be calculated.
    If you don't get satisfaction, small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

"I told u there were 2 previous careful owners, i didn't tell u what the other two were like"
    Bit of old humour for this.

But seriously, very rarely is it that we make mistakes on number of owners. Most car dealers will have a price list with the amount of owners alongside the car.

Op, are u sayin that he told u there were 2 previous owners and that u would be the 3rd and now u are the fifth. Or is it that u were told u would be the fourth. If ur the fifth owner now i'd go straight back. And ask for some compensation. If we have a car and people hear it has plenty of owners, people that questioning, and worried as to why so many people have had it. It's all for ur resale point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Came to agreement with the dealer. Had a 9 month warranty, now increased to 12 months, gave me 150 euro back. And will sent me a letter saying that if I do a trade in with his garage in the future will give me a fair price, and wont hold aganist me the 4 previous owners. I plan to do a trade in on it in less than 2 years. Maybe he has got the better deal on this that me, not to sure.

Advertisement